Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 14 hours, 14 mins.

[2018 Q3] Player Housing, Item Crafting
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Past Balance Patch Thread Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nycticora

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:31 am    Post subject: [2018 Q3] Player Housing, Item Crafting

yo players

I'm starting work on adding player housing and crafting to the game. This started as the thief weed update but grew in scope.

You can now find the first crafting station, the herb grinder, for sale at Yarbok the Slith's store in the Potion Shop in Seringale. This device is a container with 3 slots which will slowly grind any herbs placed inside into edible dust at a rate of 1 per tick. I've also added the first harvesting node, the green healing herb, which will grow randomly in Forest sector rooms in Emerald. Other herbs do not yet work with the herb grinder.

Crafting stations will work like this:

An imm creates an item he or she wants to be harvestable (a plant, a rock, whatever)
    The imm goes to the first room in the area and adds a RANDOM reset and gives a room sector type
    The item will now randomly repop in any room in the area that has the right type (i.e. forest, mountain)
    Players go out and harvest these items (via get/take now, later with a tool)
    Players put the items they've collected into a crafting station they've purchased or looted
    Each tick, the crafting station destroys materials and creates output items based on the quality of the crafting station and the types of items inside

Since crafting stations are containers, if a player loots you they can smash your stations with the SMASH command to destroy them.

When player housing is implemented, players will be able to deploy a limited number of crafting stations inside a workshop room and these items will continue to process output while the player is offline. It will be possible (albeit expensive, it will take effort similar to a 3 man gangbang) to break into someone's house and trash their workshop. This will be against the law, if Justice decides to allow lair-building within city limits.

It will be possible to hire NPC (or magical) workers for your workshop who will automatically move material from one crafting station to the next.

You will be able to log into your house to manage your crafting and see where from the area your house is in (but not who) and will be able to log out immediately without adrenaline unless you open the door.

YOU GUYS:

Tell me what the herb grinder should do with existing player-grown herbs and what other crafting stations and harvestable nodes we should have in the game. What do you want to harvest in AR?

Also tell me what types of effects the produced things should have. The healing powder is just a proof-of-concept. A crafting station could produce any type of item with any effect, and players could potentially assemble complex tools, buildings, and equipment.

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:36 am    Post subject:

also btw the healing herb will be removed shortly because it's OP, I just wanted to get you all to try it

0 0 0
Faelon
Emissary

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject:

So, making one good affect item like 'sanctuary' move to something like 'cure crit' or 'haste' would be pretty slick.

Maybe make the throw skill even more useful, with herbs used for aggressive rather than defensive purposes. Dust which can be thrown during combat, to put an affect on an opponent for a short duration. Think poison, plague, curse, or similar afflictions.

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject:

I'm mostly looking for suggestions for crafting stations, nodes, and recipes

like I was thinking it might be cool if there were trees growing in darkshyre you could chop down and turn into boards to make stuff with

maybe you could use wood to make a rain barrel that collects rain

you should be able to make an oven and if you put beef from Hyando in it you get beef roast

the 3-eyed root should be grindable

stuff like that

moving haste to sanc is doable, you could convert like 20 purples to 1 haste potion of the same level or something similar and it might be balanced. And it's technically feasible

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject:

there are trees in Darkshyre you can now chop down using the axe sold by Yarbok. You can also split logs into firewood. Maybe I will add a saw that you can use to saw the log into lumber, and a cart you can build from lumber to use to move logs around (they are too heavy to lift).

0 0 0
beia

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:36 am    Post subject:

I think different types of equipment should be able to be grinded into mats, oak wood into lumber, mithril into bars, dragon armor into maybe pieces of dragon scale. All these pieces could be put together in some sort of combo to make some sort of better higher grade equipment or other things for your crib.

0 0 0
asudan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject:

Is this player housing something that is in high demand from the player base? I can't seem to find reasoning as to why time would be devoted into implementing all this. Not being a prick, but I would rather see thief and berserker updates {complete removal of fury and removal of warrior skills, re-work of thieves and no thief weed, seems too comical like ambush and hook shot is}.

0 0 0
tayyah

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:07 pm    Post subject:

nycticora is just a huge rust fan that's all. likes building bases. For me. bases is what turned me off of wow. I like the idea and anything that adds more flavor... But the one thing I really like about AR is the Non permanent unstable environment. all or nothing. I like that, expanding this could mean us having our own castles which would be sick as fuck. But how does that fit into the cut and dry, you die and your things are either in your corpse or in your pit. In certain circumstances is already incredibly difficult to find someone, now they could potentially build a hiding place anywhere? can we see into the property just by being in the area? I remember a few things you had mentioned in the chat room when you were just fleshing this idea out, so I don't want to say the wrong thing and give secrets away, or I would probably have a bunch more questions. Maybe next time I'm in #spoon I'll pick your brain.

0 0 0
Vertas

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:55 am    Post subject:

How about drying racks to turn beef or whatever in to jerky so that it lasts longer?

Make items that come off corpses require to be cooked in order to be safely consumed except by certain races? Illithid, brains; slith, anything. Make this an evil only action for humanoid parts. It doesn’t make sense for goods to perform such an act because it’s kind of an evil thing to do. I understand the act of purifying a corpse of something evil but eating it is essentially desecrating a corpse. Actually this gives me anothe idea that I’ll add to the ideas forum.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:16 am    Post subject:

That is an excellent question Asudan

Players have not been asking specifically for player housing, but there are some reasons I think it will work and will be a good fit. The most common complaint I receive is "nothing to do at 50". Lairs will be a vehicle for endgame content.

I also want a "new" system to tack my ideas onto, and I would prefer not to mess with the existing classes and levels in the game unless I'm doing it by talking a lot with the pbase and with dav and olyn and the other imms. If I'm going to make a lot of change and I'm going to make it quickly, it has to be new things that don't strongly influence PK and don't bother people if we add them. "Opt out" features. Like how we don't want to add a lot of color because we always want the game to look familiar if an old player from 10 or 15 years ago logs in today and sees the game.

The reason the Lair idea was suggested was because there isn't enough stuff for thieves to steal. Lairs, if successful, will add targets for thieves. Due to a huge group effort from the whole staff (everybody, all the imms worked very hard) we have practically eliminated crashes which destroy on-floor items. I think it will be possible to get to the point where we can reliably preserve the state of player houses so you can store loot in boxes, cabinets, or chests in your house that a thief might be able to steal from.

Re: tayyah, I hear you on the state and unstable environment bit. I think it will need to take active effort to keep your house from getting broken into and you probably will want to hide your house so other players don't know where it is. We will definitely need to hide at least some of them (I want them to be upgradeable in some way) from the locate spell. But definitely people are going to be able to burn them down, but unless you have a thief to break in you won't be able to get any loot.

All this stuff is totally in my brain and in IRC right now. Nothing has been implemented except the herb grinder. So now is the time to choose the specific changes you want made and to prevent the changes you do not want made. This goes for everybody. It also goes for any players who don't have active mortals right now who might be reading this. I think all of you deserve a say in how the game works, even if you ragequit.

0 0 0
Bladefury

BANNED

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:36 am    Post subject:

okay so instead of burning 10k or more in gold on gyvel potions, why not be able to grind gyvel herb into dust that heals blind. I also think it would be cool to be able to mix two different kinds of dust in the grinder to get a different affect. maybe mixing the three eyed root with the gyvel makes a blindness powder that thieves or whoever has the throw skill can throw at you. i guess it would be like shadows blindness dust but it would take gathering in order to achieve and not as potent.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Bladefury

BANNED

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:48 am    Post subject:

this could also play into thieves drug other skill. instead of it being random you can actually create your own drugs out of herbs and different herb combos make different drugs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
BlackWidow

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject:

This reminds me too much of RuneScape in general. Invention over there is the "ultimate" skill and works in a similar way. Basically, if you put equipment into a workshop, and dismantle it or whatever, it can be modified and made stronger.

As for the housing thing, same general deal if you ask me. But making them targets for thieves, well... It reminds me of a skill in an old game called Larkinor Quest calling "robbing". Robbing meant breaking into another player's house (chosen at random in the case over there), facing potential traps which could kill you, after which you might get whatever the players put in their homes.

While I think the housing idea has some potential, I am not sure how it would be best implemented. Some other ideas:

1. Certain classes are more likely to have certain types of dwellings (a ranger or druid might live in a cottage in a grove, a necromancer might have a lot of bones and possibly a laboratory on the grounds, a berserker or warrior might be able to place trophies like bear heads or whatever on their property);

2. Additional recipes or things to create out of items would be nice. This could be imbuing or possibly items ABC can be crafted into XYZ...

Just my thoughts.

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject:

I'm still looking for specifics. Everyone seems to be responding with general ideas that lack substance. "Additional recipes" is not a helpful idea - have you got any specific recipes you would like to see?

I am going to begin creating crafting stations and recipes tomorrow, the window to make suggestions is narrowing. Don't give me non-actionable suggestions please, give me specific ideas.

Do you want to make a fishing pole? Out of what? At what station? A rhubarb pie? Where should the rhubarb grow? Do you want to be able to craft a talking fish plaque? Out of what materials? Which fish should we be able to use? Should you be able to make equipment? Which equipment, out of what materials, in what station specifically?

Do you want magical power tools? Do you specifically want to not have magical power tools? Do you want a ghostly servant in your house? A gnome butler? What should his name be, what about his description? Maybe we should randomly generate the name, and the gender. Give me 2 descriptions. Or whatever.

I'll just start doing what I want tomorrow and if any ideas come in I will implement them as well.

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject:

Posted two logs showing housing in action.

I'm thinking you could have a room better than a lousy one that would be bigger or better and could have more or better stuff in it. No clue yet how to sort the room categories or what system to use.

Here's how you purchase and deploy a basic shitty lair from a vendor that starts with 0 rooms unlocked and can be upgraded to 2 rooms: http://abandonedrealms.com/logs/view_log.php?id=732

And here's how you upgrade the lair to add rooms and edit the desc: http://abandonedrealms.com/logs/view_log.php?id=733

You can see into a lair with 'where' just like how you can see into the Mausoleum from Seringale (it's an area "neighbor"). The imm who makes the lair item can choose some properties of the lair like how many rooms it can have max by setting properties on the lair item. Lairs and lair renovation items can be looted and spawned and built normally. Lairs are resilient against crashes and reboots. On startup, the game will look through all lairs and spawn any missing exits into and out of the lair. Lairs can support any arbitrary number of rooms so players could theoretically make whole dungeons or wizard towers or small towns. I'm starting assuming 5 rooms will be a lot but we can do whatever you guys want.

Right now this is all done and checked in but the items aren't implemented in game on the main port yet.

Still left to do and I haven't thought about it yet:

How to implement the garden (planter pots? greenhouse? how many herbs etc.)
What kinds and qualities of rooms there should be
How to handle access control (should you be able to prevent people from walking in, if so how and how much)

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject:

more ideas:

you should be able to make a dojo type room you can use a training dummy in
there should be a lair that's also a boat you can sail on the dragon sea and down the river
you should be able to make a room or put an item down in one that gives you 10% bonus mana regen for spamming spells
a rare crafting station you should have to loot from a boss should be a create food microwave you can push buttons on and get food from
there should be a system for getting buffs from eating home-cooked food made in a lair
nobles should get buffs for having high status items in their lairs like pianos and chandeliers
you should be able to make a big ass horn at your house that will warcry the whole area if you warcry into it

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject:

Code:
How to handle access control (should you be able to prevent people from walking in, if so how and how much)

My gut says there should be no security for the lowest investment tier, a guard that is similar to guild guard (possibly identical stats) for another tier, and something just a little beefier for a third tier (possibly only available to lvl 45+ or even lvl 50)

This looks pretty cool.

1 0 0
BlackWidow

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject:

I could see traps being implemented in these lairs. An example might be a crossbow bolt doing damage similar to what you get during the monastery quest after giving Sorbus two rabbits.

Another example might be a pit which does minor damage to anyone unaware of its existence, which puts you in a sitting position (thus having to stand up after entering).

It might be neat to have secret doors (though I am unsure how/if such a mechanic would work). If say, a staff with a skull is standing upright, pulling it might reveal another room (hidden lever trick).

I imagine for a great cost, you could brew your own potions if you have the right items. A laboratory room basically.

To expand on the warcry idea... If the lair is in a "sand" location, perhaps it is possible to have a conch shell as a fixture which can be used either for warcry or potentially for listening (detecting thieves).

A room with a crystal ball for scrying would be cool.

1 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject:

that's good stuff that's exactly the kind of ideas I'm looking for

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject:

Today I'm thinking about access control for lairs, and who and how people can enter your lair.

The feeling we want to recreate with lairs is the same one you used to get when there were lots of players online and the only "safe" place was in your guildhall. There are 3 important parts of that feeling:

1. the majority of players had to go through the guild guardian to get to you which is hard but not impossible but always gives you a heads-up yell
2. you were vulnerable to people of the same guild so people shamed players who PKd in the guild hall really harsh on forums and in-game
3. most of the people in the guild hall were allies so you could relax

So we want it to be possible for you to keep your enemies out and let your allies in, and breaking in should be hard but not impossible. Lairs of certain classes or class/race combos should be more vulnerable to same-guild dishonesty than other lairs.

I've added doors to lair entrances that you can open and close and lock with a key. A lock will be generated automatically for any lair size 2 or bigger. The default lair size will be 2.

In a size 2 lair, I think you would keep the front door locked and the first room as an entry way without many valuables in it (in case someone gets inside). Then, you'd have another door to the bedroom or storage room that is also locked, so if someone gets inside while you're leaving your house they can't get into your herbs.

Size 1 lairs will be special and reserved for thieves, shadows, and rangers. These lairs will be hidden, hidden + invisible, and camouflaged respectively but the doors will not be lockable. Guild mates who can detect your lair would be able to just walk in and take your stuff unless you had an upgraded door of some kind yet to be invented.

Not sure what to do about the key yet. Right now the key disappears when you log out. I could do a few things for the key:

1. let the owner of the lair generate a key in front of the door with a command ("get a key from under the hidden rock" etc.)
2. generate a key automatically on the lair owner on login
3. save lair keys on logout (including for people who killed you and took your key)
4. something else or a combination of the above

Other thoughts: Maybe you shouldn't be able to lock/unlock lair doors if shaking with adrenaline (like the guild guard won't let you in if bloody)

0 0 0
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Past Balance Patch Thread Discussions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: