Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 12 hours.

Duplicates/Charmies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ergorion

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Duplicates/Charmies

I'm moving this to a new thread because this idea just completely snowballed. It started when I thought of how you could incorporate small duplicates into the game. They're not going to do a ton of damage and that's why an illu chooses dupes right? But what if we made choosing dupes more thought-intensive?

What if there were some dupes that did a little less damage but had effects. Or maybe this would have to be zombies or a little of both.

Like, you duplicate/animate a highly poisonous snake, it doesn't do a shitton of damage, but it has a chance to bite someone and have a poison effect.

Or you dupe a giant lion that can roar.
--A raven that gouges eyes and does like a one tick flashfire blindness.
--A massive giant that has really, really low hitroll but can stomp its feet and cause everyone in the room who's not flying to fall down for a tick of lag.
--A mosquito that does scratches but can infect someone with malaria/west nile, so like a plague or dysentery or something.
--A skunk that sprays and everyone who's not in the charmie's group (a.k.a not desensitized to the smell already, gets poisoned)
--A giant bear that has a small rescue chance.
-- A monkey that has a chance to pilfer a random non-sack item from opponent's inventory
-- A shark that can only follow the illusionist through water but does Rainen-like attacks every once in a while
-- An illithid that discharges a cone of force. Would still be AoE so risk/reward tradeoff.
-- A nymph or faerie or something that doesn't do much damage but heals the illu.
-- A dragon that breathes fire/ice

I guess what I'm getting at here is that this is an opportunity to add nuance to the illusionist class beyond boring wash-rinse-repeat of trying to dispel someone and do 900 damage in two rounds.

Some more thoughts:
With the ability to store duplicates in memory, I think this is an opportunity to create a kind of inventory of dupes that you mix and match. Kind of like in Pokemon where you only have the one pokemon fighting at a time, but you can have 6 total.

I feel like 6 is a good number for an "inventory of dupes." You could go with three high damage dupes, and then have 3 slots left to mix and match various effects. If you get lucky and your mosquito dysenteries your dude in the first round, you could send him away and summon a high damage dupe. You could try to start with three effect-heavy dupes and switch out halfway through the fight (risk/reward being low initial damage output, and high mana cost and risk of not being able to haste/enlarge them to maximize dps).

If you wanted to stress the sizes, you could limit the inventory by size. Can only have two large dupes, two mid-sized dupes, two small dupes in memory.

Or, you could limit it to something like: you can only have one large dupe active at a time. If you have a large dupe active, you're limited to one mid-sized dupe, or two small dupes. You could roll with two mids and a small. Or you could roll with 4 small dupes (probably the small ones would be the spell-heavy dupes, so if you store 4 in memory, you only leave yourself 2 other slots for damage dupes).

2 0 0
phredjoenz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:55 am    Post subject:

Having Spent some time playing the Illusionist class, I must say I like the idea of the nymph to cast heal on the Character. But I don't know how far overboard I'd go with Sizes, versus number of Dupes you can store or have active at that moment, or even necessarily allowing the duplicates to directly affect the caster in that or similar ways.

I do liek the idea of say, having 5 duplicates stored in memory, and being able to choose the 3 you want active etc. But perhaps you would need to Have a skill and create an item you must hold in order to store the aditional Duplicates in memory. Similar to a healer creating a healer staff, perhaps the Illusionist creates a minor globe of duplication, which he can possess to allow the storage of 1-2 additional creatures. But if he drops it or loses it, than the additional dupes are lost from his memory...someone smarter than I can figure out how to decide which one's remain. But just like the Healer Staff, the Globe (or maybe an amulet or something instead) would disintegrate after a set period of time?
Or go the other way with it, where the dupes stored in the globe can only be smaller or lower level creatures, but as long as the Caster still possesses the item, he retains the duplicates in memory even if he/she departs the realms and returns.

You could go so mayn directions with that. I'd love to have one I could pull up that just made food and water for me...lol

0 0 0
Andrael

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:00 pm    Post subject:

X-sided prism. Make it a staff, and have an ability to store a dupe in it. can brandish to have the dupe jump out sort of like druid elemental summoning

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject:

I'm gonna bump this cause I thought Nyct seemed pretty excited about an idea like this in the patch threads and then nothing happened.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: