Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 13 hours, 39 mins.

Newbie's getting into PK, Q4 2018 advice?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dalero

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:19 pm    Post subject: Newbie's getting into PK, Q4 2018 advice?

Since it's been years since I've last played, I'm interested in brushing up my PK skills. Several years back in the forums there were a couple PK guides posted by Dav. They're great advice, but can anything more be added to it to update it? What about the advice in joining a Cabal to force yourself into PK? Being a punching bag is on my to do list, is it still good advice to join a cabal for a 'new' player to learn the ropes or should you stay un caballed nowadays? Is KNIGHT still the way to go, or would Warlord be a fair fit as well? I recall LEGION being held to higher standards, so I'm discounting them at this time.

I've got a couple other questions, but I'm keeping them to separate threads for different subjects. Cheers all!

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:31 am    Post subject:

There's PK and then there's PVP. Some players don't want PK, they want PVP. These players are after the thrill and the fight and learning more about the classes. A real PK is abusing everything in the entire game to kill your target. You know how to do it and you've already built the machine. All you have to do is press "go" and it produces the result.

To get ready for real PKs I usually explore and look for all the best rooms with weird effects or mobprogs I can use to trip up my enemy. Especially any quest that causes lag or floods the screen with messages or causes a mob to aggro a player. I'm looking for anything I can use to trip up the guy I'm going to kill and every possible advantage I can get.

If you want to pvp you're looking for decent stat balance and armor with good defensive properties. Just the standard stuff most of the players are getting all the time. If you want to PK you're looking for the equipment nobody else uses and the skills nobody else understands and the areas nobody else knows, and you're whoring the shit out of them.

0 0 0
BlackWidow

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:23 am    Post subject:

Didn't respond to this earlier, but based on my own experiences coming back after three years away (2014-2017)...

Rangers and warriors are pretty much the same as they were previously, though there are minor changes (dream sequence for werebeasts at level 15, flare shot move for rangers, athleticism and overpower skills for warriors). These might be a decent first pick.

Berserkers seemed overhauled to me, if potentially powerful. Dragon ancestry requires religion, and you have to know how the fury gauge works. I would not recommend this class if you're coming back.

Thieves: well what can I say? They're pretty much the same as ever, with some changes to blackjack and trip wire, and an additional disguise skill. Not bad... If you like them.

Shadows: the chii stuff and ninjutsu makes them less simple. Probably not my first choice.

Shamans: aside from a direct nerf to cause spells (except harm), shamans are basically the same as before. They lack weapon ward now (if you were here when they had it), and there's the factors of conversion and boons to work out with specific religion required but they're still a solid class.

Healers: now have a divine power gauge, and cannot use heavens gate unless it is full. Also has flamestrike now, and castigate for offensive capacity. Like shamans, has no weapon ward. Decent choice, especially for learning the nuances of religions.

Invokers: element specialization and the addition of some spells beyond the old fireball and hellstream (there's now bolt type spells for wind, fire, ice, and lightning elements which, when fired three times, allow a storm of the appropriate type to cause additional status effects; also, ray of vindication does %hp damage and is a good initiator. Barrier was moved from the healer to this class as well.). This is probably the most forgiving mage class.

Illusionists: no extremely significant spell changes, though a lot of spells can be obtained much earlier. Finding the right duplicates is as always part of the challenge. It is only possible to duplicate creatures of the same strength as your level if your alignment matches too now. Not sure what else to say.

Necromancers: not played one in years, can't really comment. Pretty sure the chance to raise zombies was lowered, however.

Druids and monks: not played enough to comment.

Dark-knight: compulsion is similar to the old charm monster or charm person or whatever, only it makes a mob target a specific individual for a time. Now has abyssal bulwark instead of relying on vampiric touch. Now has a summonable nightmare stallion as a steed. Good for getting back into PKing most likely, especially because of their general nature.

Bard: can now PK freely, now has elf and drow racial options. Not sure on PK viability.

Paladin: no really major changes here. Worth considering.

Hope this rundown helps.

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject:

I can speak to the bard's pk ability. They're pretty viable. Good assortment of offensive and defensive songs. Once you get concord hymn, you're like a mini-paladin except with second attack and fewer weapons, but you have trance and more offensive songs. Shield of words acts as protection creature, so bards are good at making friends to do winter runs if those happen anymore.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject:

Make sure you get your account setup so you can do the cabal self-induct thing if you want. I am not sure what exactly it all entails and not all cabals provide it, but I think you can induct yourself into cabals with low entrance requirements (Warlord, Knight) once your background check has passed.

Also berserkers needing help to initiate into a religion for dragon ancestry is a bug, using the skill is supposed to be a self-initiate. I'll see if I can fix that today because thats important to me. I've been tinkering a new rage gauge but I don't think its as bad as I've been told it was.

update: dragon ancestry is now a self-pledge (no background check)

Last edited by Davairus on Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:49 am; edited 1 time in total

0 0 0
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:25 pm    Post subject:

For that to work, people have to be marked reputable. Not sure if immortals are still handing that out readily.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:38 am    Post subject:

Please raise any roadblocks like that to our attention. background checks, imm approvals, etc. I think there are some places where we really dont need them. And some where we most definitely do.

0 0 0
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:00 am    Post subject:

right now the biggest issue is not being able to initiate yourself into a religion. There are not enough mystics around.

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:33 am    Post subject:

I would agree with everything BlackWidow said except I think Shadows are a decent starting class because they have builtin detect invis and detect hidden. That's helpful when starting out, you don't ever get surprised. Also recently I've been told Paladins are weak and I accepted that claim and intend to look into it more closely soon. I haven't yet, and it's possible Paladins are fine.

0 0 0
Faelon
Emissary

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:17 am    Post subject:

I call bullshit on paladins being weak. But that's a separate thread I think.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:18 am    Post subject:

Paladin specs are coming next year. In fact they should be already out but I haven't had my shit together. Druids wiped me out hard. Anyways, paladins will be required to take oaths to spec, and if their roleplay is found to be faulty then they will be outcasted and this will unspec them and prevent them from speccing again, which hopefully feel like you totally gimped your character because it traded critical skills and then permanently lost them. Muahahaha. I'm actually really excited about this avenue, and it isnt going to be a whole lot of work because most of it is scoped out. It shall also be worth debating whether to keep chaotic paladins in the new year, as I want them to be more tanky but I don't think thats a good idea with wild polearms in the picture, and in fact I don't feel wild weapons to be a very good fit for paladins at all. I'd like this class to be predictable in its damage just like it is in its behavior. Mostly just a solid, hard-headed strong dude with a cudgel and a code of conduct. I also want to make sure elf paladins dont suck. That's very important to me. We can pick that discussion back up in Feb/March though. I'll need time to acclimate myself to the game as well.

1 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Newbie Q/A All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: