Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 15 hours.

Quest reward and learning reward

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hamsandwich

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:46 am    Post subject: Quest reward and learning reward

This may be answered somewhere, or maybe even just generally understood, but I was surprised and somewhat disappointed enough to bring it up. Maybe it is not intended to work this way? I'm new and don't know.

But earlier I was awarded a quest reward that said it enhanced "experience." I also have stumbled upon the rewards you can purchase with Warlord tokens to increase "learning." From my understanding these are two different things, right? Learning helps your skills proficiency go up faster, and experience is just that, exp to level.

So when I got the reward I thought to myself, "hey, I'll go buy a learning reward thing too and double up to make the best use of my time!"

While I was killing things I thought to myself that the exp did not seem to be boosted, but I figured I just didn't know and it must be. But after the learning reward wore off there were like 4 hours of quest reward left and I started getting double exp! It even showed the bonus in parentheses. It definitely wasn't doing that before.

So I realized I must have basically wasted almost the entirety of the quest reward because I bought the learning reward.
And there's not really any way to verify that the learning reward was even working? But I guess only one works at a time? Or does having two totally cancel both of them out?

If it is intentional that they do not stack maybe there should be a mention of it in a helpfile somewhere? Otherwise I guess it's a simple enough live and learn situation because I'll definitely not make the mistake again!

0 0 0
Faelon
Emissary

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:00 am    Post subject:

Quick question, not meant to be demeaning but simply trying to isolate any potential issues.

Did you plant your banner? When you get a guild reward, you have to plant your banner and occasionally refresh it by going to the banner.

To answer your question directly, no they don't stack, but it is odd that the quest reward didn't simply 'over come', as it were, the reward from the training boost.

The guild reward is both a learning and training boost. So you train and get experience faster. The issue with stacking them, is that if you know the game well enough, you could have five or six stacks going at once, between quest rewards, guild rewards, the training boost and a surge. Not to mention, if your group mates also had guild rewards, which would add two more stacks to our scenario (just to take it to complete insanity.)

Hope that helps.

0 0 0
hamsandwich

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:06 am    Post subject:

I haven't ever used a guild reward yet. (I just got 3 points or whatever they are today. Literally only been playing for 3-4 days so I don't know much about it) So I didn't use a banner or even know anything about that yet.

It was a quest reward and a reward purchased at the arena place in northern Seringale, by the juggernaut guy.

So what you described definitely makes sense, if you could stack them all things could get crazy really fast! These two that I was using, from my understanding was just 1 that was exp, and 1 that was learning, so together they equal almost a surge. I guess? So i didn't see the potential issues with stacking like you said. But since you bring that up it makes sense that it wasn't a mistake but just a precaution to prevent people from taking advantage of the system.

Thanks!

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:55 pm    Post subject:

It sounds like there might be a bug where if you get a learning reward from the juggernaut it supersedes an experience quest reward. Other possible issue would be juggernaut reward superseding guild reward.

Hamsandwich, there is a bug command in-game to report issues that you may be experiencing.

0 0 0
hamsandwich

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:10 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Ergorion. I posted it in game like you said. I still don't know if it even is a bug or if it is working as intended. But I guess this way someone in charge can decide.

0 0 0
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:29 am    Post subject:

Ergorian, read the post above his last one. This isn't a bug. He didn't know he had to place a banner, so he didn't do that. Working as intended.

*Correction*

Looks like I was the one who didn't read this correctly, My bad Ergo. I took the follow-ups out of context.

Last edited by Dogran on Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

0 1
boo,
Kedaleam
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:40 am    Post subject:

Sounds like he is saying it WASN'T a guild reward from my end. Unless he's getting the guild reward and what he is calling a 'quest reward' confused.

At any point did you type "ACCEPT GUILD" or accept at the guildmaster or whatever?

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:42 am    Post subject:

Regarding the original concern, which is whether things stack or not. If you see things unable to stack, it will most likely be the same homogenous things. For example, you can't stack bless and warcry - those blatantly do the same thing. You also can't stack frenzy and berserk. Besides just not stacking, these pose gameplay issues for the classes as well because there are good reasons to hold and later manually warcry or save and manually berserk, which injects some interesting drama. We will probably continue to prevent similar things from stacking in the future to prevent power-creep, for instance, if for some reason we have a skill that does a large +strength, such that it is obviously comparable to giant strength, it will prevent the giant strength spell since you already have that affect. This may also go the other way with negatives. We may also just say lets not do that spell and just give that class giant strength to use, rather than be pretentious. Which is the approach that was taken with the druid remaster. Its just a lot of simple common sense weaved together.

0 0 0
hamsandwich

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:55 am    Post subject:

So at this point it really seems like it's beyond anything that I intended. I was just bringing up a concern/question I had. Like I said originally I was not ever even sure it was a bug or if it was working as intended. I just knew that I myself was confused/surprised that it did not work the way that I expected.

But just for the sake of clarification. It was NOT a guild reward. It was a quest reward. I completed a quest in Ofcol and it said that I would gain increased experience and it was shown in my affects as a "quest reward"

Therefore I thought that a reward that increases experience would stack with a reward that increases learning

Obviously had it been a reward for experience stacking with a reward for experience I never would have even attempted that. It's pretty clear that that is not something that would be allowed.

regardless, I am sure that it will be addressed if it needs to be and if not than my mistake and no harm done.
I appreciate all of the responses.

0 0 0
Faelon
Emissary

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:35 pm    Post subject:

In that case, I'm not sure why one would supplant the other, except that it's how the system reacts currently. May very well be a bug.

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:00 pm    Post subject:

Hamsandwich, we're all pretty nerdily invested in this game so discussions about mechanics can tend to take on lives of their own. The ask an immortal thread that's hidden from the rest of the plebeian playerbase is a good way to go if you have a question that you don't want a lot of noise, but we like arguing with each other.

1 0 0
Kedaleam
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:52 pm    Post subject:

I thought quests that give the experience reward were removed when surges/guild rewards were introduced. I might be entirely wrong there and it's beside the point on the issue you're having.

I'm sure some clarification will come in-game through the bug you sent. Nothing wrong with sending an issue like that in-game. Either we will ask more questions about it or tell you it's working as intended.

1 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:52 pm    Post subject:

Oh the good old days of saving that valour quest reward for the final push to pinnacle.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:12 pm    Post subject:

exp/training bonus should stack, but if they're both called quest reward it might just be taking the most recent one you picked up, because of the way shit usually gets coded. You can file a bug for that if you want to.

0 0 0
Kedaleam
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:11 pm    Post subject:

Haha... Yeah Ergo... There were a few really easy to do ones that gave it. I always saved them for 40+.

And Dav, I believe there was a bug sent in game. Can't recall the exact wordage in it.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Newbie Q/A All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: