Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 10 hours.

[2019 Q1] Disarm to ground
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Past Balance Patch Thread Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nycticora

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject: [2019 Q1] Disarm to ground

All disarm skills will send the disarmed item to the ground in the next patch. Keep your eyes open for bugs and other emergent issues with PK, looting, vulturing, etc. We'll need to fix a few things after this and there may be some problems.

Intended behavior is:

when disarming a player of weapon, offhand weapon, or shield the item falls to the ground if possible
    no protection is placed on the item and it may be vultured
    if a mob is disarmed the mob will immediately pick up and rearm the item if possible
    mobs that cannot see cannot pick up items
    if an item is cursed, it cannot be dropped and will disarm to inventory
    if an item is cursed noremove, it cannot be disarmed

that last one is different to the way I intended originally when making this change. Over the years, at some point noremove weapons got a buff to make them impossible to disarm. In the distant past, noremove weapons could still be disarmed to inventory. We may need to make noremove weapons disarmable again. This has not yet been done but will be done right away if you guys need it, so just let me know.

This should be overall a buff to warriors, although you will lose weapons during duels much more often than you're used to.

This will cause lowbies to vulture insane weapons and pk everybody in range with them occasionally. This is intended.

This is intended to be both a buff and a nerf to necromancers and dark knights but a buff to the curse weapon spell. Members of these classes with cursed weapons will now be top priority targets of warriors, berserkers, rangers, thieves, and ninjas.

DK signature cursed weapons (the nonmagical weapon curses that consume a life as if you died in a PK) are unaffected, since these items cannot be effectively looted due to the "beckon" command. If this gets annoying we may need to put a 24 hour cooldown on beckon, so if you loot a signature cursed weapon they can't beckon it immediately.

0 0 0
pip

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject:

Sweet change.

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject:

Since I’m not one of the imms that specializes in combat mechanics, I’m not embarrassed to ask, isn’t this how it already works? I thought disarm weapon already disarmed them to ground unless cursed or no remove? Although now that I think of it I do see a change here with shields because shield disarm disarms them to inventory.

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:29 pm    Post subject:

This is expanding the last disarm change to offhand disarms, shield disarms, and demonic visage.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the hard work.

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:29 pm    Post subject:

I just finished fixing up all the various cases so mobs pick up and wear weapons when appropriate. This looks solid.

This is actually a pretty sweet buff for the halfling warrior Serendipity legacy as well.

0 0 0
Stiehl26

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:24 am    Post subject:

There is no help on any racial legacies for halflings. Are there other racial legacies not included on the races page?

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:04 pm    Post subject:

I was just reading those helpfiles yesterday

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject:

I see them all on the HELP RACIAL LEGACY and each legacy has its own helpfile, i.e. HELP SERENDIPITY. Is there another linked helpfile we need to update?

0 0 0
Stiehl26

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject:

If I go to the main abandoned website and go to races > halfling > it shows racial legacies:none

Roleplaying with other races
Elves generally like halflings in a patronizing sort of way. Dwarves cheerfully tolerate them, thinking halflings somewhat soft and harmless. Gnomes, although they drink more and eat less, like halflings best, feeling them kindred spirits. Halflings are more open and outgoing than any of the above races, so they get along with other races far better.

Racial Legacies None for halfling.
Tips

Because of high dexterity (dexterity adds hitroll) but low strength (strength adds damroll), consider wearing more than average +damroll armor.
Halflings make excellent thieves.
They are excellent at dodging but poor at parrying.
When fighting halflings, attempt to gain combat style superiority to counter the halfling dodging.

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:53 pm    Post subject:

we don't have anyone working on updating the website at the moment so that stuff doesn't get updated

that page in the website is still manual and doesn't pull data from in-game. It's not an accurate reflection of whether or not there is an in-game helpfile. Use the helpfile search or the in-game help

0 0 0
Stiehl26

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject:

Just from a marketing perspective, not a manpower one, the website should be the most updated, reflecting all of the cool stuff that you guys do/have done. In order to get more players, show them all of the cool features that you are implementing. Maybe someone hops on, is looking at the races on the website and it is a specific racial legacy that draws them, or a change of a skill or introduction of one.

Not a criticism, I know you guys do this stuff for free, just an observation.

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:49 pm    Post subject:

I disagree. Whether or not the latest legacy is on the website isn't going to be what makes a player decide to play or not play our game, but in-game documentation must be current for all players.

Also, when I look at a mud, game, or even a program, I look at the forum to see how active the developers and the community are. Our massive update forum is literally the first one on our forum and the timestamps on all of those threads would be appealing to me as a potential new player.

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:53 pm    Post subject:

I don't care about website development. The only thing worse than web frontend development is backend penetration testing. I won't do either in my free time.

0 0 0
Stiehl26

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:02 pm    Post subject:

ROFL, Well there you have it. It's your party.

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:11 pm    Post subject:

Quick question on the mechanics. Would the disarm to ground function be limited to primary disarm skills or to all scenarios of disarm?

The borderline scenarios I see are: overhead crush, two handed exotic uncanny attack (especially from bards who do not even have a primary disarm skill). Basically, where disarm is a secondary effect, should the weapons still disarm to ground?

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject:

Free disarms that are a secondary bonus of a skill like clobber disarm to inventory and will fall to the ground if you flee shortly thereafter. This change makes all explicit disarm attempts go to the ground, including offhand disarm, shield disarm, and demonic visage.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject:

Since the website was brought up.

The website pulls most of its data from one folder containing several files of data in a machine-readable format. It is basically a light CMS in a sense.

There is a game command that literally updates the website on demand by rewriting those files. It does not dump racial legacies at the moment, and there is nothing really I can think of in the game files that would support that.

I made it that way because it means we can (A) gradually increase how much data we are dumping from the game directly to the website. (B) later add something for a low level imm to update these files without needing root. Only reason I stopped working on B was Thorgoths wordpress

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:14 pm    Post subject:

Ergorion brings up a good point. We're going to need mobs that execute these skills so players understand what's happening when they get disarmed by a Clobber and drop their weapon on flee. That's not a priority right now but we can put it on the shopping list.

0 0 0
hamsandwich

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:04 pm    Post subject:

Admittedly I'm not very good at this game. But the weapon wearing system can be tricky to me at times. Having to remove a dual wielded weapon manually before wearing a shield for example. Makes me feel clumsy and slow. (Mostly because I am clumsy and slow)
Because of this the disarm to the ground thing being expanded on made me nervous. But I was just accepting it as part of the game and ready to face the challenge of "git gud" with plenty of failed attempts.

What has made me post this comment is the mention of weapons being knocked loose only when you flee. That sounds pretty terrifying to me. First, to make sure I understand correctly, when you get clobbered or overhead or what have you, you are disarmed and the weapon is in your inventory. Now if you flee as soon as the lag is over (which obviously you're in a very bad situation so you're definitely going to want to flee) then your weapons will fall out of your inventory and to the ground. In the room you WERE in? So in order to get your weapons you have to go back to where you came from, into the same room your assailant is in ready to finish you off, pick your weapons up off the ground and wear them?

I'm not going to lie, to me that sounds like I'm going to get my ass handed to me no matter what.

0 0 0
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Past Balance Patch Thread Discussions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: