Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 13 hours.

Class pets for casters

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Past Balance Patch Thread Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deioped

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:27 am    Post subject: Class pets for casters

After getting a druid to lvl 30 and finding out how disappointing the 'summon' was, I thought a little more about pets. I thought why do only illus and necros get pets? Why can't an invoker have an elemental pet?

Now before you dismiss this idea, I want to say not all class pets have to be the plain old external source of attack like a necro's and illu's - let them keep it exclusively to them. What I'm suggesting is that the other casters get some sort of a support beacon.

Here's some suggestions:

Invokers

Arguably, invokers do not need pets, have never been associated with pets but I thought it'd be nice.

Summon elemental <fire/ice/lightning/earth>

-Each elemental enhances spells of their respective elements
-Fire spells burn target and take DoT (damage scaling till lvl 50)
-Ice spells slow target and causes additional 1/2 round lag, cooldown 1 round at lvl 50 (longer cooldown at lower levels)
-Lightning spells zap target and applies a debuff (duration 3 rounds at lvl 50) on target who now has a chance for some skills/spells to fail
-Earth spells give the invoker 1 layer of 'shield' that blocks all incoming damage once. Max stacks = 3 at lvl 50

The elementals do not attack, stay with the invoker permanently BUT if s/he casts a spell of the opposing element (e.g fire element out, casts icicle), the elemental disappears. Elementals can be attacked, have HP measured in number of hits but can't retaliate. Elementals will 'return home' when hp reaches 0 instead of dying.

The invoker must be fully attuned to the element to summon the pet of their respective elements except the element which the invoker specializes in. (e.g A lightning invoker must cast 3x earth spells to summon an pet rock but can summon a lightning lynx without any attunements)

Druids

The 'summons' were so disappointing. You basically charge 3 'attunements', have to be at least lvl 30 and what happens is you get a 'cinematic' spell (Kraken appears! Kraken raises its tentacles! kraken DISMEMBERS TWICE on unsanc-ed mob)

If this was a graphical game, the summon would at least be impressive but in AR, the visuals come from descriptions. Also, with cinematic ultis, the delay is for EVERYONE but in AR, the cinematic delays only the druid's spell and in that time, anyone could flee/whatever before the kraken actually hits and when it finally does, the damage isn't anything impressive either.

Now druids used to have treants and leopards but since we seem to be doing away with those and we want the druid to be able to do more with herbs and potions, etc, I suggested this:

Do away with the elemental 'summons' and have Mandragora. The pet could provide herbs which the druid could pluck on the go and allow druids to brew potions with a portable cauldron (let Euchir sell it).

The Mandragora cannot attack but has HP and can be slain but it would scream if attacked that does sound based damage to EVERYONE including the druid and his/her party members.

It would also keep chattering incessantly and occasionally YELL (it will YELL more often when druid has PK adrenaline) unless buried in the ground which will allow the plant to replenish its herbs.

The higher level the druid is, the more powerful and rare herbs as well as higher quantity of herbs the mandrake can provide.

Healer

-Guardian spirit that extends buffs on the healer and his/her teammates if certain conditions are met.

-Guardian spirit will block 1 fatal damage to the healer and disappear and can't be summoned for a period of time. Healer's spells RESTORATIVE SPELLS (cure blind, cure poison, etc) will be less effective for the duration of the pet's 'recuperating period'. Healing and buffs will not be affected.

-Guardian spirit cannot attack.

Shaman

-Menacing spirit that extends debuffs on the opponent if certain conditions are met.

-Menacing spirit can be 'sacrificed' to cause 1 maledictive spell to become unblockable and hit with 100% rate. Shaman's maledictive spells will be less effective for the duration of the pet's 'respawn period'. Harm and buffs will not be affected.

-Menacing spirit cannot attack or be attacked.

"wE cOuLd JuSt HaVe BuFfS fOr ThOsE eFfEcTs"
We could also not have pets irl but here we are. The point is to add RP flavour to the game. And also I like pets. A lot.

"It'S sO OP/useless!!1111oneone!!!11"
Those are just suggestions. Feel free to suggest nerfs/buffs or even whole other effects. Some classes above I'm not so familiar with. Also, I'm not a PK-er so I'm not sure how big an impact those thigs might have on PVP so I hope the psychotic murderers and robbers of AR can weigh in as well.

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:59 pm    Post subject:

I mean, if you're worried about pk, you could get certain class charmies the pet status of they don't assist in pk.

Invokers could summon elementals and roll with their pet, merc, and an elemental.

0 0 0
Mikoos

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:48 pm    Post subject:

So originally the code base catered heavily to melee classes then bent it’s self a little backwards to accommodate mage classes. That’s one reason why necromancers and illusionists have charmies that work the way they do. And why nukers plateaued under warriors for a while.

It would have been easy to do the same for elementalists. Just summon elementals and done, but I think AR separates it’s self from the pack of muds with invokers and does it well.

I would enjoy an earth elemental that can root an opponent to the ground then proceed to beat them to death, but no lol.

Trust me, Healers don’t need a buff, but I’m all for flavor so. A charmie that just sits there and looks pretty would be nice.

I’m okay with the shaman thing. It would add another layer to the pain in the ass when it comes to preparing for them.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:27 am    Post subject:

I've moved this into the patch thread section. This is a 100% awesome post. thanks.

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:48 pm    Post subject:

Riffing off the guardian spirit for healer idea: a charmie that doesn't assist with damage, but performs a bear-like rescue every once in a while and has a good amount of hp that scales with level. Kind of like the pokemon Chancey where it had a shitton of health but was a wet noodle.

Oh, and maybe it could cast faerie fire.

As soon as the healer gets pk adrenaline it stops the bear function and disappears.

Maybe a high mana cost and no cooldown.

0 0 0
deioped

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:15 pm    Post subject:

Well Mikoos, how about pets that give QOL effects like periodically extending buffs like detect invis, etc but not more powerful spells like sanc?

0 0 0
Hondorian

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:23 am    Post subject:

Can Berserkers get a pet Rock. That... they can throw...

I'll see myself out.

0 0 0
AnOldSoul

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:31 pm    Post subject:

Weighing in (having no healer or shaman at 50, so biased for sure) Keep it simple and fix druids. Shaman seem to be fine, and Healers are apparently fine (#3 killer is healer atm and as someone says below).

Pets made druids work. Potions were whimsical and probably won't ever be more than that (to me, I just don't see their effects being worth it). I think it probably isn't worth your guys' effort to revamp that whole herb/potion/brewing system beyond growing herbs. Just chuck it.

With the attunement system, charge ups, staff element types and weapon types, star gates and primal fury, druids are already overly complex to be able to use half of their abilities. The other half aren't available without attuning.

tbh I might remove druids as an available class at this time if it were up to me, they're pretty broken.

Really excited you're looking into improving/changing things!

0 0 0
Mikoos

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:09 pm    Post subject:

@deioped - I’d be okay with that.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:36 am    Post subject:

Brewing is, as you correctly pointed out, a minor tool for druids. I see there is still a demand for mixing potions. I have already a way in mind. It is very easy to implement but requires work done under the cover on the potions first. Its kind of silly to think you can just mix two potions when they literally havent had any ingredients assigned that we could possibly mix together. The work done to be able to mix potions successfully and realistically is the same work needed to get brew and forage in good shape.

0 0 0
Mikoos

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:26 pm    Post subject:

Anymore plans to develop elementals as charmies?

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Past Balance Patch Thread Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: