Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 3 hours.

Shadar Logoth updates

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:29 am    Post subject: Shadar Logoth updates

I decided that instead of removing Shadar Logoth from the areas list, since it is an old well-known area in AR now, it'd be better to patch the area up a bit before also butchering it beyond recognition (i.e. confusion-causing find/replace rename of stuff).

So here, so that you are forewarned, are the changes:

* streets are re-arranged to travel around the palace, to keep the palace in the middle of the city (you will be forced to fight at least one trolloc to reach the undead warriors)
* new scenery added to help set the mood.. extra palaces, tall towers, stunted trees, etc
* watchers added to match the amount of shiriffs
* four mashadar mobs that appear in the city at night (if you're in Shadar at night, you'll probably want to hide in a building and hope for the best)
* re-designed ruby-hilted dagger
* a new big gasteride-style underground mob bash that eventually leads to the heart of Mashadar (i.e. the eq-mashadar), here is where you will also find the warders
NOTE: minimap does NOT work in this part of Shadar, neither does scan for that matter. a group of 3 should be ok (as long as its a good group of 3), group of 4 should have no problems.

If you are a fan of Wheel of Time series, you will probably like the new shadar logoth, if you aren't, well you'll still get a much better look at Shadar Logoth than we've been providing up til the present. Incase you didnt know, it is adapted from Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan.

0 0 0
Davor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Shadar Logoth updates

Davairus wrote:
* four mashadar mobs that appear in the city at night (if you're in Shadar at night, you'll probably want to hide in a building and hope for the best)

Also rather fashionable change to eq setup for ranking in this area is suggested:

<held> Potion of recall

Sounds good.

Thanks Davo

0 0 0
Remmenon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Ch-ch-ch chaanges.

I think it's good that there are changes coming about all the time but here's a bit of food for thought for the future.

I think instead of making more and more changes, a alot of time and effort should be spent on changing outdated helpfiles, the map when you type "MAP" maps that you can buy in stores(which are totally useless cause nothing is even close to recognizable). I think in the future as well that before a certain change comes out in either terrain, or a skill/spell the helpfile should be changed with it/maps and then release it all as a package so there will be little confusion for newbies who wish to play.

I know probably updating helpfiles and maps isn't as fun as changing areas but it's kinda like the wrapping on the present that polishes off the package. I do recognize though that the helpfiles on barrage, rage and the rest of the recent changes have been changed at the time of the implementation and that's been great.

P.s. Whens the last time the abandonedrealms webpage has been updated to reflect all the changes in races/classes abilities and what not cause i'm pretty sure illusionists don't have doppleganger.

0 0 0
Phostan
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject:

Well Remmenon, if you had any grasp of how things work, which you don't, you'd know different people do different things. Like areas, they're usually made by the chumps who don't know how to do anything else, like webpage or helpfile updates, or coding. So you have different people doing different things, so it's not like areas being modded or new areas being inserted are affecting the release times of anything else.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject:

So anyway, I'd really suggest taking a look at the ruby-hilted dagger, its a very interesting weapon... probably the most of any of the uniques.

0 0 0
Remmenon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:56 pm    Post subject: asstinor

Well Asstinor Thanks for the helpful tips. See I try and post constructive stuff and thanks. I didn't realize that different people do different things. Gee I thought everyone could code webpages and whatnot plus make areas. Great! Thanks for the info!(If you can't tell I'm being extremely sarcastic then just stop reading)

If you read the first 3/4s of my last post It was mostly about instead of rushing out putting out more changes, it'd be a good idea to go back and tie up all the loose ends of all the other ones, like updating helpfiles, changing maps(like when you type MAP) and even maps you buy in towns.

So maybe next time before cutting down my post, take your damn ADHD pills and try to take an extra 30 seconds to mull over the first half of the posting. It's like one of those people who open up a book, turn to the last page and figure "oh this is a gay book" by the last 2 sentences of the last page. Good job Asstinor

1 0 0
Phostan
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:09 am    Post subject:

Maybe I could have used a bit more tact in saying you don't know how things work, and as such, should not offer uneducated opinions. But I still stand by my statement, however undiplomatic it was. Best way to win an argument is to research it before you even get involved in it. And for all I know, maybe Dav was the one to redo the area, not just one of the builders. But I was under the impression he hadn't started the WoT books yet, so figured it would have been one of the builders. And I'll be curious to see the ruby hilted.

0 0 0
Gygh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: asstinor

Remmenon wrote:
Asstinor

He said ass... hehe.

0 0 0
Remmenon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 5:59 am    Post subject: Oh yeah?

So, what do you have that makes you soo educated about the subject. Yah you're right, I don't know how the current situation works, but I don't care to know because if how it works right now doesn't work, or theres some other thing could work better then that's when I'll give my opinion about how something could be better, like instead of rushing out with area changes and implementing them, or other changes, the helpfiles/maps should be updated with it and then put in motion all in one swoop.

I don't care about the logistics of it, I just know what would make sense/help make things better. So if that means coder X has to coordinate with builder Y then so be it. As for knowing how it works.. I don't care but feel free to inform me cause I'd be more then happy to suggest a few things to make that run smoother too.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 8:10 am    Post subject:

http://abandonedrealms.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2095

The order I am doing things here is shown there.. there is a method to my madness. By the way, its just me doing this stage of the work. I underestimated how much you guys like the "map" command, didnt think it'd be a big deal to just wait til I'd added the three new areas.

0 0 0
Slade
Emissary

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject:

Whats the point of making heron blade basically unattainable solo?

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject:

Lightwalkers are supposed to help each other out, and Shadar Logoth is a really high level evil area and stuff. Oh, and of course, heron-marked blades are among the most sought after swords in the game, its nice having something a little stricter than first-come first-served on an item like that.

Imagine if the Ranger Lord was lightwalker and let you request his stetson.. just a matter of time before they'd end up hoarded by some gimp healer never to be seen again. With him being a bit of a bad-ass that takes a group, it weeds out the dumbass people who don't really want the item other than as a status thing. Not going to call anyone out here, but its a fact that we do have players like that.

0 0 0
Neonin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject:

Astinor wrote:
Like areas, they're usually made by the chumps who don't know how to do anything else, like webpage or helpfile updates, or coding.

As an ex-builder, I just wanted to say this:

Most people can whack a helpfile into a word processor, spell-check it, and make sure it makes sense. This is especially easy when you know the game the helpfile relates to and can make sure the content is accurate. Building, however, requires a good deal of creativity, patience, and time. Not everyone is cut out to be a builder. Yes, a chimp can be trained in the usage of OLC, but a good builder has the creativity to shape an area that is enjoyable, unique in style, and fits the purpose for which it was designed. Building is, and always should be, considered almost on a level with coding. Without coders you would not have a game to play. Without quality builders, you would have a boring and "stock" game to play. It's a shame builders are often derided and ridiculed by a playerbase when they put so much effort into their work. Few people have the capability of putting so much work in for so little recognition. Luckily AR is pretty careful about who it lets build areas, so you don't get to see the dross which can be produced by people looking for a short way to Imm-hood.

And yes, I can code and do webpages too. I'm not just whining because I'm a builder.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Updates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: