Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 17 hours.

The circle of good that's CAMS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Mocker's Tavern
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sethronu
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: The circle of good that's CAMS

started 97 when ar was budding, i started late 97 early 98. everyone began playing when they hit 10th grade or so , it was an epidemic

first group (class of 99 , maybe some 98s or earlier but i dont know of any, i doubt it)

- joe: jobobubu stone warlord, big strange mofo
- ziad: zauviir , blitz, others, dont think he tried to play after he left.
- ali: blackstaff, semmemom, and few others.. tried to play a few times but got pissed at imms and quit again. went to Stanford
- alfonso: ronoak and few others, alfonso + ali + ziad were pretty deadly trio back then with others sometimes tagging along. went to U of Washington
- kent: dont remember his chars but he used to play a lot too
- John Oh: Bazraakh and some others, people say he was a genius , alfonso says this guy was as good as Tyrone but i dont remember since that was before i was more into AR. went to CalTech
- carlos: epilthapa and few others, his little bro who went to Morningside high in inglewood staretd playing too. went to UCR

second group class of 2000

- phillip: salvignon, mystic paladin 100% everything.
- liem: krazzie, deykallmei, ginacot.. he liked monks best i think. went to UCLA
- vince: dumah and some others. went to UCLA
- james: still around (hilemal), plays off and on but not a lot. went to UCLA. james, didnt your older bro play too
- heng: morghuilius, laucoon, tao.. he used to play a lot.. went to UCI
- dong: harokas, tenaka.. he had some pretty good chars. went to UCI
- fazlul: meriando's older bro. played a healer and lived forever, then quit. went to UCI
- jeremiah: still around. went to UCI
- mony: setnenomsed, keiske, argoris. went to UCLA
- luc: played lucien, ranec, some others. went to UCI
- tommy: hizang (remade several times), left AR for a while then started playing off and on.
- louis: sethronu and some others. went to UCLA (me)
- cesar: didnt go to cams but his bro did so he is honorary. went to UCLA
- chris: went to morningside with cesar. cesar got him to play. went to UCR

third group class of 2001 and later

- some little dude who went from straight As to straight Fs after mudding his life away, i wonder what happened to him
- meriando: fazlul's little bro. immd then deleted and left.
- amir: ali's little bro, he was pretty decent while he played
- jun oh: john oh's little bro. hrash and a few others.

if anyone knows of more or is still around , pls post here

0 0 0
formalism

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject:

From '99 there was also Jeremy, who played Mordin the human warlord. He actually came from Carrion Fields along with all the other IMPs, so he was the one link that connected CF to the CAMS players, and single-handedly started the MUD craze at CAMS. He's pretty important just for that alone, so I thought I'd add him to the list, even though his characters, as far as I know, never reached any level of real fame.

Also a couple others that no one would really know, so I won't mention them.

0 0 0
Hrash

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:34 am    Post subject:

Where the hell do you get jun oh? It's steve ass. Oh, and technically I'm between the first generation and you guys, since I played way before you guys.

Ali went to stanford and is now at UCSD in a biomed engineering grad program.

I still go to UCSD. Graduating this year.

Ziad went from MIT to UC Berekeley I think.

Burzuk fought John plenty of times when the new ar came. Ask him how good john was.

Also, there's Ben - Currently parias. MY age.

Amir went to UC Berkeley and is now in UCLA Law school.

Last edited by Hrash on Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:17 am; edited 1 time in total

0 0 0
formalism

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:53 am    Post subject:

And don't forget Davairus. If there had been no CAMS, there'd be no Davairus. We'll consider him honorary. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

0 0 0
Mendek

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:39 am    Post subject:

Who taught me more things that helped me get in trouble... Davairus or CAMS? Hmm... that's a tough one.

0 0 0
Laeroth/Blackstaff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject:

It's 3:35am, I am bored, I decide to see what's up in AR and what do I find... still CAMS talk.

I find it so strange that nobody every remembers that I was also Laeroth, he was by far much better than Blackstaff (as far as efficiency is concerned) but somehow just not as memorable. I had 500+ pkills and 3, yes only 3, pdeaths. If Aberdour was around he could verify this as he told me my stats. He ranked from level 30ish to squirehood, to knighthood, to getting Zafrin's tattoo, to level 50, to Archon in Knights with the same WANTED flag the entire time. This could be amounted to the fact that I easily knew the sewers better than even the immortals at the time and could avoid death easily by hiding down there. That plus the fact that I had over 1k mana and somewhere around 900hp with a multitude of healing items (two nimbus's, golden weapon, elemental bracelets, protection scrolls and ward of light and sanctuary of course helped as well). At that point I was trying to cleanse my reputation and refrained from any type of cheating, it didn't work too well.

Of the many different ways I cheated, including the traditional multi'ing with shell accounts and setting up scripts to pass the run from here to here or talk at the same time immortal tests, my favorite was having a gangload of thieves in pretty much every pk range so I could procure any item of use for my main characters if said item was sadly carried by a character my main character could not harm.

Also there were some good shenangans me and my brother pulled when he had his justice. Either unflagging Blackstaff, or my personal favorite, using doppelganger with Blackstaff, attacking a guild guardian, yelling at my brother when I had reverted back to Blackstaff, then having him flag that person.

Also there was the time I was playing some no name necro when I claimed to be a good and demanded that the justice in town flag this that and the other person. When he did not believe me I tried to use emotes and orders from my zombie to convince him. He was close to convinced. Wulfgar happened to be watching. He took over my zombie and had it wear the equipment I had looted from somebody else and then starting running around attacking things. At that point the justice was convinced but it did not matter anymore. I was running around with an uber zombie, courtesy of Wulfgar, wreaking havoc while Wulfgar had possessed Marisa and some other mobs to go about and murder tons of people in town. Needless to say that got me and Wulfgar banned and initiated the events that led to Wulfgar stealing the code and starting the other mud.

I can't help but exploit a system when a play a game, any game. It just comes naturally to me.

However, favorite memories were utterly annhiliating the mystics cabal twice, once with Blackstaff, Khull, and Sakuragi, and another time with the same group plus Manshoon (level 50 legion fire giant warrior played by Alfonso). There were about 13 mystics in there that we killed mutliple times (not our fault they kept coming back).
Another funny memory was accidently killing Quazark when we were just chatting outside of the legion cabal and he decided to acid blast, on accident i am sure since he had no protections up at all, one of my fire giant charmies. He was dead before I could even recall him.

I did come back and play an Abyssal invoker named Ilphruevius and a fell DK named Daermon. Ilphruevius did a lot of damage in his short stint, only got to somethinkg like level 47 (last 5 levels generally ranking alone). Couldn't stand the suffocating rules and changes that were in place. Plus I used a modified Laeroth description for Ilphruevius which was immediately recognized by some immortal and I couldn't much as breathe without an immortal meausuring my lung capacity.

I was also Daermon, of Daermon Bahzrakh and Zauviir, the second group to hit 50 right after Naugroth.
Oh, when Lathyrnvark was good and pk'd people, that was me, he gave me the character.
Same with Zauviir, he gave me the character.

Ziad was also Chakreh, as a mortal was warlord leader and then he was also some NPC (i forget which, later).

There were a ton of other guys playing in '99 but for the most part they didn't have characters anybody would remember except us.

Wow, that was kinda long, I can't sleep, too much coffee.

Memories...

0 0 0
Burzuk
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
- John Oh: Bazraakh and some others, people say he was a genius , alfonso says this guy was as good as Tyrone but i dont remember since that was before i was more into AR.

He was probably the best of the CAMS players and their natural leader during the group fights I've seen with him (both fighting against him and, later on, snooping him), but the comparison to Tyrone fails -- Bazraakh and his group didn't fare too well against Naugroth. And although Naugroth was feared and mostly went unchallenged in his time, he's no Tyrone, who faced stiffer competition during the early First Age (when many of the founding Imps played their own morts -- Kallomar, Rahkashe, etc -- as did many of the other original Imms -- Stryth, Diocletian, etc) and prevailed against them all. Absolutely no cheating involved with so many active Imps running around, obviously.

As far as PKing goes, one is only as good as the competition one beats[*], and it takes a pretty damn tough cookie to be rumbling against multiple Imp-played morts and still come out on top. As a comparison, consider how good someone has to be to take down Resatimm/Burzuk/Davairus together back in our playing prime, and you'll have a sense of why Tyrone is a legend on AR, and on CF before that.

Funniest lopsided AR pwnage that I've seen has to be Rahkashe making a solo thief to take on the Odoacer/Azonere/Escherus permagroup, leveling to keep up with them and then swooping in alone and unannounced to clean the whole group out -- day after day. Probably nearly condied that entire group by the time they hit 50, and Odo et al were no newbies, mind you. I bet those guys still shudder to meet giggling little girls named "Regina" even now, knowing that it's just a front for the inevitable mass-blackjacking to come.

[*] On that note, IMO your average current AR player now is a LOT more competent than your average AR player back then (in terms of things like actually knowing how to use recall potions), but the bar for the "best" PKers hasn't been raised much higher, if it's even been raised at all. This is because many of the "good" players back in the day actually weren't skilled at doing anything other than exploiting imbalances/loopholes, which have been getting closed left and right. You'll notice some longtime players adapted well to the balance changes in Combat Module A/B while others crashed and burned -- there are some very good reasons for this. In any case, these factors (and the huge crackdown on cheating) combine to explain why current PK records are a lot less extreme than they used to be.

0 0 0
Hilemal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:23 am    Post subject:

Dang Ali, stop posting a novel and go to bed! Didn't know you still occasionally trolled the site Shocked

Yeah, my bro played a bit in HS, but I think he only ever tagged along with friends and never really get into it.

Oh yeah, and if you post here and you're from CAMS, post your name so I know who you are!

Oh, and since Steve didn't say anything about his older bro, he graduated from CalTech and is now working at a management consulting firm. Looking to go back for med school perhaps

0 0 0
Victim

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:16 am    Post subject:

Yay... I got credit/blame for introducing CAMS to AR. John Oh introduced me to btech mux telnet games back in ninth grade in that craptacular mac lab. Those games were really up and down at the time so I went looking for something else and came across CF/AR. I'm pretty sure John was the next to start playing followed by Ali and Ziad.

To be honest, I don't think I ever really played on CF at all. I may have farted around there briefly but I'm pretty sure I started on AR. Mordin was my first caballed char which was made before I had any clue how the game worked. His stats were so bad it was funny but I still had fun fighting Quazark and feldhur who was hounding Warlords for a while. Then shortly after Diocletian left, warlords got all uber serious and I went idle. My only other char that I played to a decent level was an evil cleric named Delekhan which I used mostly to torment Amir, Alfonso, Sergi or whoever else I happened to know.

Jizz

0 0 0
jobobubu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject: I'm singled out as strange?

I am the one singled out as strange?

I admit, after dropping the caffeine 6 years ago, I've noticed a much clearer take on the world -- but how am I the strange one when people are still playing this damned game? This had so better not count towards my 15 minutes of fame.

And for the record, I got kicked from Warlords for being an asshole, I'm still an asshole, but I hear assholes run the world so I'm going to be fucking rich.

The most fun I had was with my halfling thief Sahara, but I had a few more fun ones along the way.

After MUD? I worked for a bunch of video game companies, where my name is included in the credits of Barbie and Baldur's Gate products. I think Giants: Citizen Kabuto as well. Then I gave up near six figs to go back to school. Why? I guess I am still strange.

0 0 0
m1co

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject:

wow reading this nostalgic stuff makes me really curse upon these whom keep inventing better computers so that ppl can play MMORPGS instead of MUDS, i know its pretty much out of topic but i started mudding around 97 not on AR tho, but the mud i started in died to its non-excisting pbase nowadays wich is so awfully sad...i guess that once you learn mudding you will always be a mudder.
I wish there would be a way to turn back time so i woulda chosen AR over MultiMUD and had opportunity to bomb all these computer tech labs so that me and every1 else would still play from their good old macs/terminals;)
Impressive how you guys have managed to stick on AR for so long time, active or not but atleast reading the forum:>

*bow*

0 0 0
Laeroth/Blackstaff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:37 am    Post subject: Good Memories

Twisted Evil

Very Happy

1 0 0
von

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:16 am    Post subject:

Blackstaff was a bitch that couldn't handle new the age

1 0 0
Laeroth/Blackstaff

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:26 pm    Post subject:

How dare you attempt to sully the nostalgia. Bad von.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Mocker's Tavern All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: