Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 19 hours, 59 mins.

Set items.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abandoned Realms

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:44 am    Post subject: Set items.

Hello, Therans! If you've been making a habit out of using your LORE skill
to examine your items, you'll already know that there have existed SET ITEMS
in Thera for some time. What's new is that the IDENTIFY and APPRAISE skills
will now also reveal what LORE used to reveal about items that are also set
items, and the LORE skill itself will now provide much more information to
help you complete these sets. Remember to consults the scribes ('help set
items') if you need more information.

Happy hunting!

0 0 0
Burzuk
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject:

Sets are mostly constructed using unrare items. A knowledge of sets can help you speed up re-equipping (once you're familiar with the set you're trying to attain, you can get reasonably decent eq with fewer items required) as well as help you "bridge" the transition to rares when competing in combat against rare'd out opponents. Of course, there are also rare sets as well to make the collector of certain rares become more dangerous. (For example, could you imagine a hypothetical set where someone with the stetson, order's ring, and the vorpal sword got additional damroll on top of that? Hypothetical being the key word there.) This is neither a new idea nor even new to AR -- the original coding was done by Zafrin (and had been implemented already) with some recent polishing and updating by Davairus. If you were one of a small number of people using the P------- Might or M------- Vigil sets set before our announcement of set items, congrats on being a guinea pig. Hope you've enjoyed the extra hp and/or hitroll.

You used to be able to only see the "belongs to set X" message on lore, which nobody used. Now you'll see this message on identify and appraise as well, and lore also lists total number of items in set, as well as what areas those items can be found in. Note that duplicates count TWICE in the set item total: for example, a four item set might be two of the same bracelets worn on either wrist as well as two of the same daggers dual-wielded. In general, items worn on the fingers, neck, and wrist are frequently (but not always) worn in pairs to complete sets.

Right now we have over two dozen sets that have already been designed, with even more being worked on. Here are three quick sets if you want a taste for them. Once you have the first item, either use identify/locate or (better yet) lore to find the rest of the items:

* Start by taking a gold bar from the High Tower and giving it to Deran's assistant in Timaran. This set is designed for paladins, although any good/neutral with the polearm skill can use this set.

* Start by obtaining the longsword from Sherman in Valour. This set is designed for dark-knights, although any neutral/evil with the dual wield skill can use this set.

* Start by obtaining the key from the dragon in the Sands of Sorrow, then use it to unlock a chest behind the dragon's door and obtain a glittering diamond. This set is designed for spellcasters, although anyone can use this set.

None of these sets use any rare items, and all three have names that offer big hints as to the characteristics of the items required to complete them. The other sets may be less literal and more riddle-like in their naming, so be prepared to do some hunting.

By the way, some set bonuses (including all the bonuses for all 3 of the previously listed sets) scale according to your level, so higher level characters may receive better bonuses from completing sets than will lower level ones. Of course, it's also easier for higher-level characters to obtain rares to make the non-rare sets obsolete, although remember there are also rare sets...

0 0 0
Matthais

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject:

After collecting a few sets, Id have to say that this is neater than gambling items.

0 0 0
Mandor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject:

yay for lifting ideas from world of warcraft.

0 0 0
eval_elmo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject:

So, for that Dark-Knight set your saying just walk in to Valour and kill Sherman for that sword? How is that supposed to work especially if your anathema'd?

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:02 am    Post subject:

You arent anathema'd for killing most Valour mobs, or players. Its just for killing a noble or killing in the palace. So there's no reason you should be in Valour anathema.

As for killing sherman, I'd think that's the least of your troubles... although if you can kill him you can complete the set at that rank I imagine.

0 0 0
Grayden

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:47 am    Post subject:

This is awsome I can not wait to try it, and you have given me a reason to actually practice lore. I thought for sure with appraise I would never practice that skill. I wonder why I never new there were set items.

Grayden Grim the curious

0 0 0
eval_elmo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:07 am    Post subject:

I only ask because I was auto-anathema'd when I defended myself against a squire and last time I tried to venture into Valour I was mobed. But I believe you altered/removed the auto-anathema since then.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:55 am    Post subject:

Sorry for the confusion.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Updates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: