Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 9 days, 7 hours.

Afflictive Module: Healing.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Burzuk
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:01 am    Post subject: Afflictive Module: Healing.

Clerical Advantages

As I've mentioned in my Afflictive Module Introduction, healing is the reverse of afflictive spells and thus they're also being looked at during the same change module. When we talk about healing though, we're really first and foremost talking about clerics, which have long been my personal favorite classes on AR (and on other muds before we founded AR). There are tons of reasons to like playing clerics. Some of them off the top of my head are:

* Leveling: Let's face it, nobody levels like a cleric does. Sanc, heals, 0 exp penalty, it just doesn't get any better than this. If you want an easy level 50 character, you pick a cleric.

* Forced enemy saves: Every time a cleric fights another target (and this is especially true for shamans), the cleric is already at a huge advantage even before the fight has begun. Fighters lose big hit/dam and mages lose big hp switching to saves -- and that's assuming they're smart, instead of choosing to die from getting dispelled and/or eating some pretty mean mals.

* Obtaining equipment: With locate object, sanc, heals, etc, clerics can obtain equipment from mobs better than any other class. Back when Eldorian was playing morts, he took out Mordun and Daryth solo using divine retribution -- at level 36. (Took him two hours, but still.) We've had level 50 clerics solo Winter before. Combined this with the fact the clerics are good at staying alive, and you wind up with clerics having huge eq advantages in combat.

* Self-sufficiency: While clerics may not have OMG RAGE or bye-bye-hide, they don't lack for anything that can really be exploited. They have better defenses than mages with parrying maces and a fairly small shield block penalty (compared to invokers), can recover from a fight faster than any other classes, have the full suite of mage utilities like detect invis, identify, and pass door, and heck, healers can even stay alive indefinitely with their food/water spells. Because of this, playing a cleric and playing a mage are night and day, and it shows with how grossly clerics outnumber mages.

* Sanctuary: At level 50, this deserves its own entry.

* Group combat: The best classes for group fights, bar none. Sure, it's easy to talk about being able to sanc/heal groupmates, but even more valuable (and deadly) in group fights are summon and dispel. A cleric's own credible defenses and quick healing also ensures that they're nowhere as vulnerable as mages in a group fight. Group combat has always been one of my specialties as a player and it's no surprise my favored classes have already been clerics, before AR and especially after AR. Before you even discuss how good clerics are one-on-one, you can't forget that they're the best group fighters -- therefore, you'd expect that clerics should not also be very strong one-on-one fighters.

* Versatility: Some clerics play aggressively, allowing their hp to wear down while spamming offensive spells, and saving their mana instead for in case they need to run. Others keep their health topped off and focus on using the huge recovery advantage that clerics have to methodically catching ticks and outchasing their opponents, wearing them to death. Some clerics go dispel. Some go maledictions. Some go hit/dam/murders. Those with good enough equipment wind up doing all of these. Whereas you expect the big rage from a berserker or know a thief's going to try to catch you off-guard, there's a lot of different ways to fight with a cleric, and they're all reasonably effective -- and thus hard to always be able to anticipate and defend against.

So. Why that list? With all that clerics have going for them, let's look at a couple of other advantages clerics have that have never been the main attraction of the class for me:

* Afflictive spam: If I wanted to play a char to spam afflictive spells all day, I'd play an invoker, not a healer or a shaman. And this issue has recently been addressed via dependency: if you want to aff spam, pay the hp price and wear some affbreaks. Simple. And before you complain about the lowered hp, as a cleric you still get to heal it back easily. How about the mages who are slowly needing to wear savebreaks as well (see the vamp touch change, for instance)? Yeah, clerics have it easy in comparison, since lowered hp for mage is much harder to gain back. If you're not wearing affbreaks as a cleric, I have zero sympathy for your aff spells. And setting aside lethality for a moment, wearing enough affbreaks makes divine retribution is exactly as strong as it used to be, and actually makes flay health stronger than demonfire used to be. So if your aff spells aren't doing enough damage as a cleric, it's your fault for not wearing affbreaks. Deal with it. Or stick to hit/dam/regen-based tactics if you prize hp survivability above all else.

* Healing spam: Clerics already have a huge recovery advantage with healing, but having healing spam being used as an offensive strategy is overkill. (As in, stand there and let your hit/dam/divine do all the work while you spam heals.) The worst offender here? Cure crit. And now here, here we've finally reached the crux the problem, and, and the changes we've made to address this.

Clerical healing

There are just two major variables involved with healing: how strong (i.e. fast) it is, and how mana efficient it is. The strongest healing spell, heal, also had the worst healing efficiency, so even healers rarely used it except in emergencies. Cure crit, however, was not just the second strongest healing spell, but it was also the most mana efficient spell by far (which lends itself to endless and mindless spamming), and was widely available to all three major healing classes to boot. Under the old model, when you talk about cures, you're really talking about cure crit, period. And nobody (myself included) bothered using anything else under that skewed model.

In addition to revising the model, we've introduced a third variable: concentration (i.e. whether you can concentrate enough to cast the spell while tanking or not). The new model, then, is as follows:

Code:

|      Healer      |     Shaman      |    Paladin     |
------------------------------------------------------------------
|          |                  |                 |                |
|  Tier 1  |       Heal       |  Cure Critical  |  Cure Serious  |
|  Tier 2  |  Cure Critical   |  Cure Serious   |   Cure Light   |
|  Tier 3  |   Cure Serious   |   Cure Light    |      N/A       |
|          |  Cure Continual  |                 |                |

* Tier 1: These are the strongest spells and cannot be used while tanking. Therefore, they're best used for a) supporting a tanking groupmate, or b) recovering quickly outside of a fight.

* Tier 2: These are the most versatile spells, being stronger than their tier 3 counterparts while still being able to be cast at any time. These are the ones that'll be used while tanking in a one-on-one fight.

* Tier 3: These are the most mana-efficient spells, which heal slowly but are highly useful for continuous staying power while fighting mobs (leveling, getting eq, etc) or for post-battle recovery when efficiency matters more than speed. The (now cheaper) cure serious + cure continual combo gives healers an even better mana efficiency than spamming the old cure crit (although it's slower than cure crit), and is also more mana-efficient than two straight-up cure seriouses. Shamans can spam their very cheap cure lights (which have comparable mana efficiency to the old cure crit, but work much more slowly). Paladins do not have a tier 3 -- their tier 1 is both their strongest and most mana efficient spell, so paladins should focus on healing outside of tanking as much as possible. However, they still have cure light to heal while tanking if necessary.

The new healer spell, cure continual, also is a "protection" against a shaman's cause continual, cause serious, cause critical, and harm spells. If you're a healer going toe-to-toe with spamming offensive spells against a shaman, consider mixing some cure continuals in there to significantly reduce the danger from being caught off-guard by the shaman's harm.

We've adjusted the mana costs of various spells to make this model work. With the increased mana cost for cure crit, do NOT assume that spamming cure crit now will always be your best route. You have multiple healing spells to choose from for a reason.

This covers the new cleric healing model. I'll cover the rest of the healing changes in a later post.

Last edited by Burzuk on Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:26 am; edited 1 time in total

0 0 0
Orsetre

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:25 am    Post subject:

I was required to redirect what I said from another post to here, as to quell any offensiveness I might've said. So here it goes.

Yeah, good changes.

Ninjas were totally wiping the floor with other players! Making them lose cure light was a very nessisary change!

And the change the lay on hands. Omg, that makes total sense! Because laying hands on self, that's very logical. Even though in the original D&D games, lay on hand could only be used on other people, with very significant results (representing a paladins intrest in self-sacrifice, compassion, and healing others), the idea of laying hands on onself is so awesome. Hahah, I don't want, anybody else.. when I think about you.. I lay on hands.

Omg, anyone who has played a ninja before can tell you how effective cure light is at restoring hp. It's not just a "omg I'm going to use this because I have nothing else to spam" skill. It's their total life. A ninja's cure light totally pwns cure crit or heal. Everyone knows that. And burzuk clearly laid this down by saying that cure light is more mana effecient that cure crit. Omg, that's like common knowledge.

0 0 0
Baer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:22 am    Post subject:

OMG.

(Reserved for when I have something worthwhile to say.)

0 0 0
DarkFire

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:36 am    Post subject:

Orsetre you need to calm down and know that the changes were made for reasons, there are more changes to ninjas and thiefs. I am sure that better things are in store for them so just shut up and wait

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:39 am    Post subject:

I don't know about you guys but I don't give a hoot about how its done in D&D, furthermore, scripture-quoting like appeals to D&D traditions don't convince me their way is right. They just sound like bible thumping.

0 0 0
E-ant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject:

Code:
Burzuk says 'Now that you mention it, maybe pointy sticks are too unbalanced too.'

The sharp edges of the sticks smooth out.

0 0 0
Erlwith

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject:

The icky fact is this is just a heal nerf glamified. All the cure spells take the exact same amount of time to cast which means there is no time issue involved with each. Basically, cure critical remains the best healing spell in battle but does far less now (given I have -1 point of 24 con). There is cure serious and cure continual, but let's be honest, they heal even less then the now nerfed crtical in the same amount of time. Staying alive > energy efficiency, Health > mana.

I can understand the logic of heal spells all having a purpose but this gives all the spells a lesser value rather then giving each a distinct purpose. A better idea would be involving round time and mana vs healing. Healers should be able to heal for an immense amount, we are *healers* it's what we do. I recognize that we are still by far the best healers in AR, however to a fault, because now both our defensive and offensive capabilities have been lowered.

A better idea would be to make Heal a three round (battle-castable) spell that heals for an immense amount but for a great deal of mana. Say 100 mana for 150-200 points of healing depending on con. Give it a spicey name and make it a really high level spell - and have no affects with cure continual. Cure critical could be mid-to low level, would heal for a decent amount, but greatly affected by con (moreso then the other two spells) and be two round. With max con you could heal for maybe 75 hp for 25 mana and it casts in maybe 1 and 1/2 half rounds. Cure serious would be a mid-lower level spell and would cast super fast like .8 to 1 round (if you can do .8) depending on con and would heal for say 30 hp for 20 mana. Cure continual would be a low level spell and it could remain as it is (maybe longer).

That is all.

0 0 0
Burzuk
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject:

Orsetre wrote:
Ninjas were totally wiping the floor with other players! Making them lose cure light was a very nessisary change!

Ninjas already have acupuncture. The only class now with BOTH one of the clerical cure/heal spells AND a healing skill is paladins, and they're the only class that deserves to have both.

Orsetre wrote:
Even though in the original D&D games, lay on hand could only be used on other people, with very significant results

Well, if I were wondering whether AR is 3.0 or 3.5 compliant, I now know who to ask. Fortunately, it's not a question that keeps me awake at night. With that logic you'd need to "fix" a lot more things in AR than just lay on hands.

Orsetre wrote:
t's not just a "omg I'm going to use this because I have nothing else to spam" skill. It's their total life.

Give cure light to thieves, invokers, necromancers, etc, and it'd instantly become a "their total life" hugely-used skill as well. That doesn't change the fact of whether the skill actually belongs to said class or not. And as I've noted, ninjas already have a healing skill.

Orsetre wrote:
And burzuk clearly laid this down by saying that cure light is more mana effecient that cure crit.

Less outrage, more reading comprehension. From the helpfile: "Shamans can commune this at reduced mana cost, and this is the most mana-efficient curing spell for shamans." I'm assuming I don't need to explain how reducing mana cost improves mana efficiency.

0 0 0
E-ant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject:

Code:
'PROTECTION CREATURE'
Syntax: cast 'protection creature'
Syntax: commune 'protection creature'
Spell type: PROTECTIVE

Protection creature is a variant of protection that ignores alignment, but
instead reduces damage from all creatures.  One cannot be affected by both
alignment-based protection and protection creature at once.  >>>Protection
creature is only effective when the spell's level is the same or higher than
the target.<<<

Why?

0 0 0
Resatimm
Takes the Cake

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject:

Obviously for fighting bosses!

0 0 0
kammkala6

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject:

Is the gimping of healers done for now or will there be more?

0 0 0
Burzuk
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject:

Erlwith wrote:
The icky fact is this is just a heal nerf glamified.

An amazingly insular and narrow-viewed statement. The healing changes have far more ramifications for paladins than healers. There's more to AR than your current character.

Erlwith wrote:
Basically, cure critical remains the best healing spell in battle but does far less now (given I have -1 point of 24 con).

Cure critical heals exactly as much as it used to -- the relevant change for healers is that it had its mana cost increased to make it more comparable to the mana efficiency of the other spells (and barring class-specific casting cost bonuses, cure critical is still the most mana-efficient spell). The con issue is a non-starter: you can get up to +4 con on a single item via gambled eq, not to mention using trains, normal +con eq like nice looking rings and belt of life, etc. The real issue with con and healing spells is that -con penalties actually matter to clerics now, so they can no longer stack up on massive gambled deflectives with impunity, for instance.

Erlwith wrote:
Staying alive > energy efficiency, Health > mana.

So maybe you need to improve your playing skill by doing things to stay alive like, oh I don't know, learning to run far enough away to heal properly and come right back into battle? Previous clerics like Rolf managed this quite well without relying on the stand-and-cure spam in combat.

Stand-and-spam-heal made clerics way too easy to play (basically, you were safe as long as you had enough mana), and was completely no fun to fight against, either. How much have time have you spent fighting against healers and shamans using a non-cleric class?

Quote:
Healers should be able to heal for an immense amount, we are *healers* it's what we do.

Being the best at healing in the game, yes healers are undisputedly (especially considering shamans and paladins were hit harder by the changes than healers). Being able to stand-and-spam as a given-right for healers, no. You can still heal "immense" amounts by spamming heal -- just not upon yourself while under attack. Healers are healers, but clerics are also support characters, and for them to lose some one-on-one power is A-okay with me considering all the other clerical advantages I've listed above. And you'll notice that the changes have affected clerics very little in how well they play their support role. (Paladins are only quasi-clerics, but even they have a dramatically improved lay on hands to use for support.)

Erlwith wrote:
I can understand the logic of heal spells all having a purpose but this gives all the spells a lesser value rather then giving each a distinct purpose.

A nonsensical statement when you consider, for example, that cure serious has been improved for healers. In fact, the improvement for the lower healing spells does exactly "[give] each a distinct purpose".

Erlwith wrote:
A better idea would be involving round time and mana vs healing.

"Round time" (I'm assuming you mean casting duration) is exactly the same issue as healing power in 99% of the cases. And that you would propose this as an "alternative", as well as the "better" numbers you've provided, really highlight how poor of a grasp you have on the healing issue. For instance:

Erlwith wrote:
A better idea would be to make Heal a three round (battle-castable) spell that heals for an immense amount but for a great deal of mana. Say 100 mana for 150-200 points of healing depending on con.

You realize that this is actually worse than using those three rounds to cast three cure criticals, right?

Erlwith wrote:
Cure critical could be mid-to low level, would heal for a decent amount, but greatly affected by con (moreso then the other two spells) and be two round. With max con you could heal for maybe 75 hp for 25 mana and it casts in maybe 1 and 1/2 half rounds.

Why would such a high-end healing spell also have so high of mana efficiency (way better than even old cure critical, by the way)? Why would anyone use anything else, and how does it change the stand-and-spam one-on-one tactic?

Erlwith wrote:
Cure serious would be a mid-lower level spell and would cast super fast like .8 to 1 round (if you can do .8) depending on con and would heal for say 30 hp for 20 mana.

You realize that this makes cure serious useless compared to other healing spells, both in terms of healing power (30hp in .8 rounds) and mana efficiency (30 hp for 20 mana)?

I can understand that you feel strongly about this issue because you have a horse in this race, but it seems rather clear to me that you haven't really thought out what you're saying here.

0 0 0
Burzuk
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject:

E-ant wrote:
Code:
Protection creature is only effective when the spell's level is the same or higher than the target.

Why?

Same reason as why wilderness healing and monster turning are level-dependent: they're leveling spells. We don't want protection creature to suddenly make Winter runs cake, for instance. This fixes issues like good/evil warriors being better leveling tanks than neutral warriors. Now, neutrals can level just as easily from a tanking perspective, although they still don't gain the align-based exp bonuses per kill. Stone giants of Thera, untie!

Of course, necros and bards can cast their own protection creature (and so will druids), so they "keep" their anti-mob bonuses at 50. It's something to think about.

The other purpose: despite all the moaning and griping about clerics, only the cleric and hybrid-fighter classes have access to align-based protection now (since all protection items are now protection creature items). This means that the cleric and hybrid-fighter classes will actually fare better against their opposite-align enemies (as you'd expect) since their opposite-align enemies can't use protection items against them anymore. Non-protection classes now have the same damage reduction regardless of who their opponents are.

It's important to note that since necromancers use protection creature instead of alignment-based protection now, they're much more vulnerable to their good-aligned cleric/hybrid-fighter adversaries (healers and paladins) as well as against all good-aligns in general. Some of you will cry "gimpage", sure, but consider: since evil illusionists and evil invokers can't have alignment-based protection via items anymore, why should necromancers be exempt just because they must be evil?

0 0 0
kammkala6

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject:

Does cure critical now heal as much as it used to when you are at your max con for your race or do dwarves heal more with it than humans or drows?

0 0 0
Burzuk
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject:

The cure/heal spells heal the same amount for all races that are at max con. How much worse at lower con depends solely on the amount of con lost, not the actual con value.

0 0 0
_Clifton_
Emissary

Location: your and you're are not the same. they're, there, and their are not the same. learn to english.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Same reason as why wilderness healing and monster turning are level-dependent: they're leveling spells. We don't want protection creature to suddenly make Winter runs cake, for instance. This fixes issues like good/evil warriors being better leveling tanks than neutral warriors. Now, neutrals can level just as easily from a tanking perspective, although they still don't gain the align-based exp bonuses per kill. Stone giants of Thera, untie!

Of course, necros and bards can cast their own protection creature (and so will druids), so they "keep" their anti-mob bonuses at 50. It's something to think about.

Sorry, I'm having a hard time understanding protection creature. Of what use would it be since more often then not the creatures that you are fighting at of higher level? I mean, if the song needs to be higher level than the creature to work, what's the point of having it where you don't even need it? It doesn't seem to make sense to have as a level spell since it really doesn't do anything in level. A 17 bard is going to be fighting level 25 nymphs with a group and by level 25 you won't even need the protection anymore. So unless you're a level 50 necromancer trying to raise zombies, what good does protection creature do?

Unless it's meant to be used in PK situations against charmies and dupes...

Quote:
Non-protection classes now have the same damage reduction regardless of who their opponents are.

You mean via sanc? Or just overall... I guess the same damage reduction doesn't make much sense to me in the context.

0 0 0
marsd

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject:

Talking about protection, can we have some pointer to make it clearer when we have it up? Like, if you're a lightwalker and you commune protection, it'd show "Protection Evil" in the affects list, and so etc..

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject:

Clifton you have it wrong. The "target" is who the spell is cast on. Once you've got the affect, you're fine.

0 0 0
Erlwith

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:30 am    Post subject:

I want to start off by saying that I understand what you're trying to do here Burzuk and it's a noble idea. Balance out the Clerical classes, they were (a couple months ago) powerhouse classes. So I don't want you to think I'm saying what you're doing is stupid, because it's not. Just look at what I am suggesting and arguing with a neutral view, to realize that while this may seem like balance, it's just a decrease in power with no available increase. Now I know things are coming, and I'm willing to be patient for them. So I'm not saying the way things are now is WRONG without seeing it... but as things are now without anything else in addition it's not a balance act, it's a plain nerf.

Quote:
An amazingly insular and narrow-viewed statement. The healing changes have far more ramifications for paladins than healers. There's more to AR than your current character.

Quote:
Cure critical heals exactly as much as it used to -- the relevant change for healers is that it had its mana cost increased to make it more comparable to the mana efficiency of the other spells (and barring class-specific casting cost bonuses, cure critical is still the most mana-efficient spell). The con issue is a non-starter: you can get up to +4 con on a single item via gambled eq, not to mention using trains, normal +con eq like nice looking rings and belt of life, etc. The real issue with con and healing spells is that -con penalties actually matter to clerics now, so they can no longer stack up on massive gambled deflectives with impunity, for instance.

I guess it's a narrow view if you think it's a good idea, but take away the bells and whistles and a nerf is what you've got.

Code:

<690/867hp 635/830m 389/389mv active> {} commune 'cure critical'
You feel a lot better!

<716/867hp 610/830m 389/389mv active> {} commune 'cure critical'
You feel a lot better!

<746/867hp 585/830m 389/389mv active> {} commune 'cure critical'
You feel a lot better!

<777/867hp 560/830m 389/389mv active> {} commune 'cure critical'
You feel a lot better!

<707/862hp 29/830m 383/389mv active> {} commune 'cure critical'
You feel a lot better!

Now I could get a +4 con item, true. However, I don't need 4 points of con, just 1 to make up for my -1. With just -1 con I can heal for as low as 20 hp in one heal. It quacks like a nerf. Players taking advantage of racial vulns can do many times that to you. I realize that dwarves are just one available Healing race, however you have to consider this sort of thing when making changes like this, right?

Want to talk about the heal spell?

Code:
<430/862hp 389/850m 388/389mv active> {} commune heal
A warm feeling fills your body.

<472/862hp 349/850m 388/389mv active> {}

42 hp with Heal, a spell that costs 40 mana? Right... there's no nerf involved there... Down from practically 100.

Quote:
Stand-and-spam-heal made clerics way too easy to play (basically, you were safe as long as you had enough mana), and was completely no fun to fight against, either. How much have time have you spent fighting against healers and shamans using a non-cleric class?

Firstly, shouldn't healers be able to out-heal even the most hard-hitting of opponents? If you think that's possible now, you're crazy. Save, running far away and spamming heal (which heals greatly less now on average with -1 con). Healers do comparatively much less damage now then before with less of the healing capabilities. Yeah, I have fought Cleric classes with a non-cleric and it sucks, but it's supposed to suck. Shamans were powerhouses with the ability to stay alive and do massive damage. Healers aren't, with the ability to do a fraction of Shaman damage with a fraction of our previous healing capabilities.

I honestly didn't bitch when we were stripped of our ability to deal damage, but now the Healers healing powers are being reduced.

Quote:
So maybe you need to improve your playing skill by doing things to stay alive like, oh I don't know, learning to run far enough away to heal properly and come right back into battle? Previous clerics like Rolf managed this quite well without relying on the stand-and-cure spam in combat.

You can't really compare the Healers of then to the healers of now. All of our damage spells have been decreased and now our healing spells have as well, so what Rolf managed to do isn't really relevant to what Healers can do now. I haven't used (with my current char) the stand-and-cure spam combat method, granted in combat I healed myself but that is alongside dispel undead/magic, (used to use turn undead) and deciding when protective shield is appropriate and when div ret. is. Now I have less time to do anything else because the same spells, with the same casting times, heal for LESS. We can explain it how we want, the bottom line is Healers now heal for less in whole.

Quote:
A nonsensical statement when you consider, for example, that cure serious has been improved for healers. In fact, the improvement for the lower healing spells does exactly "[give] each a distinct purpose".

Cure serious has been improved so much that it still cures for a great deal less then cure critical.
Code:

<822/862hp 510/850m 383/389mv active> {} commune 'cure serious'
You feel better.
<839/862hp 497/850m 383/389mv active> {}

Yeah, that's going to do me a lot of good in combat. And if the idea is not to use it in combat, then again we're left with cure critical which again heals for less with a greater mana penalty.

Quote:
Round time" (I'm assuming you mean casting duration) is exactly the same issue as healing power in 99% of the cases. And that you would propose this as an "alternative", as well as the "better" numbers you've provided, really highlight how poor of a grasp you have on the healing issue. For instance:

You realize that this is actually worse than using those three rounds to cast three cure criticals, right?

Not true. Let's say you cast those three cure crits you were speaking of. Let's say for the sake of argument none of them fail and heal for say 30 damage a piece (and that's on average the healing capacity of my cure crits with -1 con) Now we've wasted three rounds and 75 mana to heal 90 hp when we could have used 3 rounds 100 mana and healed for 150-200 points of damage. How can you say the idea of my proposed Heal spell is worse off then three cure crits?

Quote:
Why would such a high-end healing spell also have so high of mana efficiency (way better than even old cure critical, by the way)? Why would anyone use anything else, and how does it change the stand-and-spam one-on-one tactic?

The idea here is to give each spell a distinct purpose rather then just making one heal for more than the other. Heal would heal for an immense amount. Cure critical would heal greatly also but would be much more con dependant. It would be riskier but with greater reward. Cure serious would be less risky with less reward but would cast faster to make up for it.

I really have given thought to what I'm saying. I've tested my healing spells in game to see how it works, I've had -5 con all the way to -1 con testing these spells. Your idea, Burzuk is good, to give all the healing spells a purpose, just this gives them all a poor purpose rather then an individual purpose.

Healers are now awful damage dealers and sub-par healers. It's almost like a slap in the face.

Perfect example:
http://www.invokation.net/logs/view.php?id=2223#comm6

0 0 0
_Clifton_
Emissary

Location: your and you're are not the same. they're, there, and their are not the same. learn to english.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:01 am    Post subject:

Healers were always gimped against neutrals, that log doesn't prove anything because 1) the running and curing was shody and 2) dependency anyone?

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: