Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Recovering the Lost Arcane Relics" is underway, and ends in 3 days, 20 hours.

Myths and Superstitions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Myths and Superstitions

There's always been a lot of myths circulating and I figured why not give them their own thread. So if you have something you want to get cleared up, post it up here and I'll see if I can answer it and fix the helpfile.

Eventually this should form some sort of FAQ (hopefully).

Answers are going to come up at the top:

AC, what does it do and how does it actually work. Is it damage reduction, or makes opponents miss you more.

It does both, and is minor.

HP gains and luck, is luck in hp gain formula?

No.

How much saves is enough saves? -30? -50? (this might be answered in one of player guides, but if so it still should be linked here)

Depends.
There are several hidden or difficult to discern factors, like savebreaks, spells having variable casting level penalties for save, resistances - so there is nos traight answer. Basically, if its landing easily on you *consistently*, AND it *matters* (that's relative) you need to get a better save.

I'd suggest go hard save mental in group fighting for example, because someone might pull a mental break for summon/dispel. A lot of the time you dont need it so much.

Best ranks to stop for training

Fastest - 50.
Sweet spot - early 30s (below the level 40 cabal app cap).
Safest - 11.

Find a balance between risk and reward that suits you. I'm sure neut warrior Justices could easily 1 prac and leave training til 50 for instance.

Do some skills standardly increase at 2% or 3% a go?

Nope.

Are increases of more than 1% possible for each 'you have become better at--' possible?

Used to be like that for half-elves, when they very first came out, I believe. Now they just get an invisible enhancement. This isn't in the game in any way shape or form.

Is there any difference in the chances from 'learning from your mistakes' and improving through succeeding, during skill training?

Normally yes, and thats why learning from mistakes increases 1-3%, not 1%. Sometimes the answer is no, those occasions are bugs.

Does being hungry or thirsty affect the rate of training?

Its a distraction yes.

Is it true that dirt kick has a better chance of success the later it's used during a fight?

The only special checks of this nature for dirting are "initiate" and "mid-combat".

Are the penalties for trying to perform a dirt/bash on a flying character the same as trying to dirt/bash as a flying character?

Penalties for flying are very different for dirt, the flier is punished far more.. don't know about bash off-hand.

Do comparative character sizes affect the chances to land a bash/bodyslam, as well as the duration?

Size affects damage, strength affects lag.

Do completeing quests and tasks effect training rate?

Quests only - tasks involve killing mobs which equals training, but that isn't rewarded more than usual.

Is the old quest system still in effect or has it been replaced?

The old system is now completely replaced - besides what's been salvaged for the "new" quests (visit the Town Crier and see).

I've heard a rumour that if you practice or train during a surge you learn more. I assumed it meant if you 'trained' your skills in combat you'd learn quicker

True

But two people have insisted you can practice and train, at the trainer, for increased benefits.

False

Staying on longer ruins training rate

False. (Obviously logging in and out would fix that easily, so why would we bother to do that).

Hand to hand skill makes weapons train faster

False

Heavier weapons parry better

False

Halflings have a bonus to flee

False

Assassinate is affected by XXX or YYY or ZZZ

Here I think mystique is much better than none. All I will say is there is nothing "funny" in it that would need code access to guess.

Last edited by Davairus on Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:46 am; edited 4 times in total

0 0 0
Davor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject:

Humm, I'll try thinking of few that I commonly come across with newer players, I either know or don't care enough to know answers, but thats why Dav is here:)

For now, two:

1. AC, what does it do and how does it actually work. Is it damage reduction, or makes opponents miss you more. Does it affact only physcal or magical damage also? Is it worth being concerned with it, to which degree?

2. HP gains and luck, is luck in hp gain formula?

3. How much saves is enough saves? -30? -50? (this might be answered in one of player guides, but if so it still should be linked here)

4. Best ranks to stop for training (also is highly likely covered somewhere else(i remember that it is), but as a single question, especially now it is cause of many debates)

I think that at least first two fit in the topic nicely. The other two are here because there are too many answers floating around.

0 0 0
The Zealot

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject:

-- Editted to stay on the 'myth' topic, and allow for yes/no answers --

1) Do some skills standardly increase at 2% or 3% a go? Are increases of more than 1% possible for each 'you have become better at--' possible?

2) Is there any difference in the chances from 'learning from your mistakes' and improving through succeeding, during skill training? (From an off-hand comment made to me about training)

3) Are the penalties for trying to perform a dirt/bash on a flying character the same as trying to dirt/bash as a flying character? Which are worse?

4) Do comparative character sizes affect the chances to land a bash/bodyslam, as well as the duration? (from an old Invokation discussion)

Last edited by The Zealot on Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

0 0 0
Vhrael
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject:

Is Burzuk really 65 years old?

0 0 0
Erlwith

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject:

What sort of time frame are we looking at for keepers? Hmm? I'm not trying to rush, just curious how long I have to get my computer fixed?

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject:

I was planning to answer just TRUE or FALSE, YES or NO. No specs. Some of these questions are totally out of the scope of "myth".

0 0 0
Amdorin

Location: No matter how much a failure, no life is worthless. You can always serve as a bad example.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject:

Vhrael wrote:
Is Burzuk really 65 years old?
Davairus wrote:
I was planning to answer just TRUE or FALSE, YES or NO. No specs. Some of these questions are totally out of the scope of "myth".

I find this particularly hilarious as Dav could not answer that question, ..perhaps because it is totally out of the scope of "myth". LMAO

0 0 0
Kalist19
Emissary

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject:

Did Nekhethbet really quit AR because you took out the goatsex emote?

0 0 0
Accident-Prone

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject:

Here are some yes or no questions. Do completeing quests and tasks effect training rate? Like the myth of the old quest system did. So both are in fact myths. And is the old quest system still in effect or has it been replaced?

0 0 0
Mendek

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject:

Hand to hand skill makes weapons train faster

Heavier weapons parry better

Halflings have a bonus to flee

Gnomes rock

0 0 0
Vhrael
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject:

Well it would've just been a "YES" or "NO" answer...

Probably "YES"...

0 0 0
Caris

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject:

I've heard a rumour that if you practice or train during a surge you learn more. I assumed it meant if you 'trained' your skills in combat you'd learn quicker, which I think is a fact. But two people have insisted you can practice and train, at the trainer, for increased benefits.

True or False?

0 0 0
Vhrael
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject:

Caris wrote:
I've heard a rumour that if you practice or train during a surge you learn more. I assumed it meant if you 'trained' your skills in combat you'd learn quicker, which I think is a fact. But two people have insisted you can practice and train, at the trainer, for increased benefits.

True or False?

False. You were right, they were wrong. You're twice as likely to have your skill % go up while using it during a surge than normally. This doesn't apply to training at a trainer or practicing at a guildmaster.

0 0 0
Rem

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:42 am    Post subject:

Is assassinate's chances of success increased by how lucky you are?
Is assassinate's chances of success increased by the target sleeping?
Is assassinate's chances of success based on weather you are hiding in the shadows?
Is assassinate's chances of success based on the target's luck?
Is assassinate's chances of success based on your's or your targets adrenaline?
Is assassinate's chances of success based on level difference?
Is assassinate's chances of success based on what class your target is?
Is assassinates chances of success based on what race your opponent is?
Is assassinates chances of success based on dexterity? Intelligence?
Is assassinates chances of success based on the weapon type used in the attempt?
Is assassinates chances of success based on your proficiency on that weapon being used?
Is assassinates chances of success based on hand to hand skill as well?
Is assassinate's chances of success based on the difference in size compared to the target?

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject:

That was pretty funny. Uh, I think the biggest myth about assassinate is that it doesnt work.

0 0 0
Erlwith

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject:

I think assassinate should be renamed if it "works" in the capacity of dealing damage. I've never seen anyone actually assassinate something or someone with the skill.

0 0 0
Rem

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject:

My eyes have seen the glory! there's a post on invok of Voravith successfully pulling it off, so don't play dumb mr. funny guy Cool

0 0 0
Adebaldi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject:

Does being in the realm too long affect or used to affect skill gains?

Lately I haven't seen any difference, but long time ago when I was told it for the first time I didn't belive it at first, but when I tested it, it did seem to work.

0 0 0
Mendek

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:36 am    Post subject:

Adebaldi wrote:
Does being in the realm too long affect or used to affect skill gains?

Lately I haven't seen any difference, but long time ago when I was told it for the first time I didn't belive it at first, but when I tested it, it did seem to work.

I'd noticed the same. When I was training and increases tapered off I'd logout/login and they'd start again.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:06 am    Post subject:

That's purely superstition.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Newbie Q/A All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: