Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 1 hour.

"Open PK" areas

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: "Open PK" areas

The following areas are now "open PK" (i.e. pk range no longer protects you).

- arena
- interior of Knight/Legion/Justice cabals

Beware! If you enter those zones, you can now be harmed (or harm) by ANYONE ELSE in that area. Keep in mind for those of you using henchman, you will now have to resort to doing the attacks yourself while within the shrine.

0 0 0
Xerties

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject:

Shocked Shocked Confused Surprised Smile Very Happy Laughing Razz Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Awesome

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:03 am    Post subject:

Uh, we'll see.

I'm concerned that the uncaballed players aren't pk'ing very much. We're seeing a few people preferring to go uncaballed for pk'ing now, while some prefer the advantages of defender potions at 50. Going for a cabal is a long-term investment in a character, its not a wrestling ring, or something to just delete on a whim before it even reaches 50. We just need to ensure now that each cabal character has a distinct enough advantage over his cabal's enemies to be worth going through all the trouble getting setup now. For instance, special guard is worth it, I dunno about the others.

0 0 0
Mahkan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:57 am    Post subject:

hmm.... How does this affect PK records?
like if a 20ish player wanders into Lacrimose Temple and is killed by a pinnacled caballed player, does that kill go on that guy's record?

0 0 0
_Clifton_
Emissary

Location: your and you're are not the same. they're, there, and their are not the same. learn to english.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:15 am    Post subject:

Lacramosse temple is in Darkhaven.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject:

Uhhh... it already ignores people 5 levels lower.

0 0 0
Adebaldi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject:

How about removing bonuses for higher/lower lvls in using skills/spells totally? That way higher ranked people would only have an advantage in having more hp, maybe better eq and more skills/spells rather than them just pwning you with dispel magic. Then PK ranges could also be more stretched.

0 0 0
Mendek

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject:

This would give me back hours of my life if it'd been in effect years ago. Nothing more lame than being stuck at the guardian healing it while some lvl 42 beat it to a pulp. That was nothing more than a contest over who has more time to waste.

0 0 0
Slade
Emissary

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject:

Umm, doesn't this give more incentive for trashers to hassle cabal lowbies? Now they have more reason to invade cause the little guys still have to defend yet its an actual fight now instead of henchman so the little guy can get splatted quickly by the 50 suped trasher.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject:

...Or they can level all the way to 50, then get splattered by the 50 suped trasher and decide cabals aren't for them. Besides, getting ganked while levelling up is cabal life, they're ordered to rank to 50 and this way we don't need Imms breathing down their necks to enforce it. Players will be breathing down their necks instead. It is similar to the old days of being ganked in training eq while you were trying to make a more powerful character. People called it trash. But you got pk'ed while attempting to get stronger than everyone else. You lost a couple deaths and you got better skills to survive/kill with later. Levelling a cabal character to 50 is a similar gauntlet, with defender potions and cabal powers promised at the end. Those guys don't have any right to mercy. Respect for what they will become, maybe. You dont want to eventually be on some badass's hitlist.

I'm going to split it into two problem groups - vs uncaballed independents, and vs cabals

uncaballed independents: these guys can't harass cabals well, for the most part. they have to deal with henchmans (I believe they still do in addition to the mort now as well?) and they get flagged for raiding. Its important to make sure the cabals anti-flag skills are good enough, personally i thought they were, but I'm not opposed to giving them special-guard like nukes if they need them. Mostly not a problem especially since these guys have to deal with level 50 retaliation with those flags too, and have to do without defender potion/medic scroll, etc. That seems sufficient.

other cabals: this will be the real problem for our cabals. But look at the old system. You would spend your time "defending" with a crappy footman and lose the item eventually anyway. Then a deathmarch into the enemy cabal against THEIR buff henchman + guardian, and at a low level to boot. It wasn't only just as shitty as it is now, it also wasted a lot more time. This time, it'll probably be over with sooner at least. You can swallow your gay death and get on with what you were doing.

Defense phase-
low level being raided: they're probably not going to focus on capturing item as much when they have a mort to beat down, so you might actually defend the cabal easier. You can also just run outside and you're fine.

high level being raided: great because now you can attack the stupid level 35 shaman wearing down your guardian with cheese healing

Retrieve phase (all cases)- it was a footman before, at least you get to fight back now. You might try taking a level 50 bully down with a team of level 35's, who knows. Most likely to be ganked this way and most common reason for turds staying at level 42 picking off lowbies instead of taking thier character to 50. So why put up with this? BECAUSE YOU ARE STRONGER AT LEVEL 50.

I had considered all of that before making changes. Please consider at least that much before you judge.

0 0 0
Erlwith

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject:

For all the good it may do, I don't see how this will encourage people to do anything but not join cabals. Think about it this way, people are assholes now and that's why PK ranges are in place right... well, take away PK ranges and give those assholes power to confine a lvl 40 in their cabal and slaughter them until they log off. Doesn't sound like a good idea to me, or fun, so where's the incentive to join a cabal? I guess if you're strong willed enough to make it past that, you're just what cabals are looking for and need. But it sounds like a lot of stress and work to me, and I think there are other (more interesting) ways to test a player's resilience.

0 0 0
Esivole
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject:

cabal life

good side - -
Defenders
medic scrolls
and some reeeeeaally pimp skills that no one should have.

bad side - -
you have to defend cabal

0 0 0
Kalist19
Emissary

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject:

Davairus is right, 40-50 is a gauntlet that EVERY cabal player must make it through in order to receive the full powers of their cabal. While it is true that there is the potential for abuse (group of level 50's invading an enemy cabal to gank some level 40's), that's not much different from a level 42 fire zerker or elf paladin trying to fend off a level 50 human necro/invoker/warrior/illusionist from another cabal. Making it through the gauntlet is an acheivement in and of itself. Making it harder only will help to weed out those who are unfitting to be in a cabal anyways (i.e. people who can't handle tough battles, fights vs the odds, rage delete, etc).

Like Davairus said, the flip side is that once you are at 50, you can kill those pesty bastards that aren't in your pk but help the 50's raid by killing your guardian. It's worth it to take the 2 rounds it will take to slaughter a 40.

I like how this is will give high xp race/class combo's a chance to hand out some of the pain we've been feeling on the ride from 42-50 for the last ten years (unlike you bastard 0/0 xp combos that don't start getting hurt until level 47).

0 0 0
Erlwith

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:07 am    Post subject:

I see very little action from the cabal scene as it is. So I don't see what good "weeding" out anyone is going to do. Sure, the best of the best make it to pinnacle in a cabal, but think about if that's really what you want. Look at things now, one active Legion, one or two active Knights... and this is without making 40-50 a free range gauntlet.

Good idea in theory, a lot of fun for the 50s picking off lowbies, but in my opinion just not good in practice.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject:

I think the cabals are inducting plenty enough ne'er-do-wells, or charity cases, or whatever you prefer to call them. I think its in our interests (especially for long-term cabal - and game - appeal) that those people are seen having a good learning experience but dieing off. What you need to understand is that cabals are optional but dying because of joining one is not. I don't have any sympathy for caballed that are con-died low level, because they know how and where to level quickly and there's no reason for them to fail. Frankly if they don't know how to do that much, then they obviously don't belong at level 50. And even more frankly, if they don't even WANT to go through that, they're the wrong seed for cabals, and belong independent, away from the rest of the politics they won't enjoy. Probably a Legion or two will complain about having to rank with protecteds (which is a legitimate gripe that I hope to make worth Legion's while) and everyone else has cake ranking before surges are even considered.

0 0 0
Vertas

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject:

Mahkan wrote:
Lacrimose Temple?

Lacrosse temple...lol...I'm not even playing and i like this idea
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Updates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: