Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 7 hours.

Helping Newbies speak
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Roleplaying
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kren

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Helping Newbies speak

I think it would be a good idea to post how to say things in a way condusive to the rollplaying standards set forth for abandoned realms. Many newbies speak speak OOC alot and I think this is because they don't have the tools to speak about things properly. I really want the new players to enjoy the game and not be so burdened with how to interact so perhaps by giving some ideas on the forum we can help them out.

For example I've heard "i'll be on all night"
They should consider "i plan to be in Thera for some time"

I have been corrected a number of times speaking about the qualities an item holds. While the shopkeepers give plain English explainations of what an item does the characters are not supposed to do this.
For example i've heard "the item increases your dam by 2 and decrease your Str by 1"

You might consider saying that the item increases how hard you will hit buy twice that of an opal ring while decreases your strengh one layer

Don't use abbreviations in speech unless it makes sense there is no SS but there is a south square. Aura falls on the hour not the hr.

I often use tells if the newbie does not understand what i'm saying or refer them to "scrolls" in the helpfiles to lead them to information, while this may be OOC I think it best to correct them.

These are just a few of the examples of things i've heard lately perhaps you will assist me in giving examples of the Therean way to say things.

0 0 0
Stiehl26

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject:

Perhaps we could have this part of mud school? Something similar to the Darkhaven repeat the rules quest? I have a feeling most new players aren't trolling this board ahead of time to get RP advice. Making it part of the game would make this a more attractive option.

0 0 0
rabidgecko

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject:

I don't think it's particularly bad to go ooc for a minute or two to explain to noobs about RP, anyone agree?

0 0 0
RebornShadows

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject:

i agree with gecko

0 0 0
_Clifton_
Emissary

Location: your and you're are not the same. they're, there, and their are not the same. learn to english.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:45 am    Post subject:

As long as people aren't using leetspeak or abbreviations (u r cool, etc.) , I really don't care how they talk.

0 0 0
goofy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject:

One important thing to remember when speaking OOC is to use tells. If you want to 'SAY' or 'GROUP TELL' or god forbid 'YELL' OOC chatter that might take away from immersion somewhat, cause every one hears you. Tells are personal so no one heres you asking 'newb OOC' questions, if your a newbie. As for OOC stuff about your real life e.g. "ive been awake all night, I need to hit the hay man", its obvious how reality has no place in Abandoned Realms. Sometimes you might feel the need to say OOC stuff, go ahead, people are dynamic and you'll base what you do off the reactions you get. I do my best to avoid going OOC, all the mature players do that choose to be here, out of respect for the mystique. This is truly "A Playerkilling, Roleplaying MUD" with a high degree of sophistication. OOC is evil, but sometimes necessary, like microsoft.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Vevier
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject:

I will admit to going ooc to help out a newbie. There really isn't an IC way to say 'you need to type this to do this' or 'you should check out this page of the forums for advice on that.' Usually I try to preface the conversation by saying that its atypical to be out of character, ask the newbie if they understand the difference between in character and out of character and then finish the conversation by reminding them to stay in character with everyone else.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject:

I would argue stay IC and let the newbies find the way themselves - there is a newbie channel and they shouldnt have levelled past 10 without it. There are warnings. You have an OOC newbie channel so that we dont have to have the d00d-speek in game or the other offensive business. If a couple responsible imms playing on mortals want to help out a bit, sure. Most of you guys should just remain IC. Dont want the mud to turn into newbie q/a.

0 0 0
Baer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: This post is awaiting validation

This post is awaiting validation

0 0 0
Stiehl26

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: This post is awaiting validation

0 0 0
Mahkan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: This post is awaiting validation

0 0 0
Resatimm
Takes the Cake

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject:

Stiehl26 wrote:
I find it moderately interesting that, again, I make a valid suggestion about adding something to the mudschool (to help newbies in this case), outlined how the current code used for the Darkhaven "repeat the rules quest" could help with this and Dav goes for his typical rhetoric, which in this case sounds like he is basically saying that he doesnt care if newbies start playing here or not. What the heck is going on here that no one else can see this?

Put... the... crack... pipe... down...

Like really. I was going to reply with one of my trademarked replies, but what you have said is so completely retarded, that I don't have to. You are like 'that guy' at a planning meeting that takes it completely personally when his suggestions are not used. Thats why they're called FUCKING SUGGESTIONS.

0 0 0
Baer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: This post is awaiting validation

0 0 0
Stiehl26

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:23 pm    Post subject: This post is awaiting validation

0 0 0
Dispater

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:54 am    Post subject:

You're a retard.

'Increases your strength by one layer' <--- DA FUCK YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT NOOB? It's same as saying +1 STR, fucking friend. You don't go around irl saying, oh my shoes increase my comfortness by one layer?

Goosh, before you wanna help newbies to 'speak' learn to do so by yourself.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:01 am    Post subject:

What I want to know is why nobody else blows off people's ideas, its like one big reacharound here.

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:19 am    Post subject: This post is awaiting validation

0 0 0
Mahkan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:36 am    Post subject: This post is awaiting validation

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:39 am    Post subject:

Anyway the mud could use some changes. But by that I dont mean code. I'm looking at you guys. Seems to me like you wanna have everything coded so you dont have to worry about it yourselves. Well that doesnt work and there is a lot of problems that result in trying to make an entire game into a sort of hamster maze for newbies.... for instance, you'd want signs all over the places for the newbies, but the vets dont fucking *need* signs everywhere, and you have to kinda overlay them so only newbies see them... thats confusing and a waste of time anyway.

The newbies dont just log out after an hour because they cant figure the game out. Everybody goes through that phase, for some its wonderful, for others.. well lets just say I'm not worried about people that dont want to try to learn the ropes by themselves. . No - newbies move on because most of the time they got to pk range and some asshat full looted their useless shit ...that's the number one complaint. The lack of RP and the trash pk'ing they get from the playerbase.

I'm sure you guys dont pick on people like the old days players did, but I used to spend two evenings a week finding newbies and just making an alt and helping them to 10 and doing some RP. There isnt a code change that can replace that. That is something we used to encourage our responsible players to do. Sorry but posting a few hair-brained ideas on the forums isn't going to solve the problem with the game's newbie retention rate. The only thing Kren has really implied that makes sense is that newbies copy vets for roleplay direction. "HELP INSANITY"

0 0 0
Stiehl26

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: This post is awaiting validation

0 0 0
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Roleplaying All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: