Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 13 hours, 49 mins.

Change to tick regen AND to sleep
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:13 am    Post subject: Change to tick regen AND to sleep

mid-ticks regen effects are out of the game.

However there is a special circumstance for sleep. Sleeping does not take a full immediate effect on the first hour if you drop asleep right before it. The first tick will be the same as resting. Subsequent ticks (after time spent asleep) will give the full bonus of sleep. This is to make it essentially useless to take 3-5 second power-naps in combat, which circumvents the gameplay tradeoff of losing awareness of environment due to sleep.

If you are sleeping at the "mid tick" (i.e. about 10 seconds before an actual tick) you will be flagged sleeping by that, and recieve usual full regen. Otherwise, ff you are sleeping when a tick hits, you will be flagged sleeping. Finally if you wake up you will lose the affect and have to take the time to settle yourself down properly to begin sleeping regen again. So you can see the goal is to make sure you sleep a while before you get a benefit, but not necessarily full ticks.

TLDR version: catch ticks with rest command, and when you want to sleep plan setting down early so that you can get at least half a tick in

0 0 0
Merindol

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:47 am    Post subject:

Nice! good change.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:23 am    Post subject:

nice one

0 0 0
Emilise

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:25 am    Post subject:

Nice, thats gonna mess up the people that catch the ticks in fights all the time. I never managed to get that trick down, always forgot about it haha.

0 0 0
Slade
Emissary

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:35 am    Post subject:

Welfare

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:11 am    Post subject:

Sleep-tick became cheesey in the new light of combat modules, I've watched jeo defeat most of his opponents with 90% left because of his dwarf con and freedom to catch ticks while his opponents were on the run from his high damage. Gear-coasting at its finest. There is no question of a problem with it. Scripting gave a lot of people a talent for catching ticks which made it a lot worse.

Warriors are putting out an awful lot of damage and I would like to ensure they are still possible to be worn down against other classes that can use heals, medic scrolls and other regen crap that isn't on tick, and especially against people who aren't dull enough to stop them from getting ticks. That is why I am not doing a full revert of a change which in hindsight was too alienating and didn't have the teeth to even fulfill the point of doing it. It isn't a change targetted at helping noobs or whatever you made of it.

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:54 am    Post subject:

Davairus wrote:
It isn't a change targetted at helping noobs or whatever you made of it.

What's a tick?

Razz

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:50 am    Post subject:

Umm.. Is that a joke?

Catching the ticks is very important part of fighting. Clerics do it instinctively because mana is their lifeblood and the tick is the only way to regain any. With that considered, warrior vs cleric is a fight where its essential for the warrior to rest on hours as well, or he'll be worn out by all the healing. Warrior vs warrior it isn't really that big a deal, but when warrior 1 starts doing it, warrior 1 has to follow suit or he'll lose the battle... unless of course he manages to interrrupt the other warriors sleep or attack first, things like that. I see a lot of players that like to exploit hours where they don't really need to, dragging fights on longer, and another trick they like after running off for their tick is to stand up and spam murders continuously afterward, before the other guy arrives, so that they get to attack the chasing guy first as well. Looks like cheesy turtling when that happens.

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject:

Yes it was a joke.

0 0 0
rabidgecko

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject:

what if you're sleeping at the mid-tick, get up, run around, then sleep for the actual tick?

0 0 0
Vertas

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject:

Maybe it's just me but I think something might be up with the movement regeneration.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Emilise

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject:

yeah I noticed that

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:38 pm    Post subject:

Explain.

0 0 0
Emilise

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:12 am    Post subject:

Gained to full in one hour I noticed once while fighting earlier. I was badly hurt, and I hardly regenerated anything at all but I have full movement in an instant.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:27 am    Post subject:

By that I meant I need you to explain the circumstances under which I can replicate the bug.

0 0 0
Vertas

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:47 am    Post subject:

Normally at fifty I had no problem running around, but I noticed today that I would end up not regenerating nearly as much movement on each tick when awake. Walking from south square seringale to south gate at valour put me down to 35% moves, I started out with 100%. I've didn't have a problem with regenerating too much but I would be regenerating only about 35-40 moves per tick as opposed to pre-change I would regenerate 50-56ish.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Resatimm
Takes the Cake

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject:

All posts regarding small japanese dicks, peanut butter rubbers, clifton getting vaccum hose blowjobs, and kalists mom being a slut have been removed.

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject:

What if we eliminated sleeping with pk adrenaline?

0 0 0
Xerties

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject:

Olyn wrote:
What if we eliminated sleeping with pk adrenaline?

This really makes more sense RP wise, though as I think about it PK adrenaline lasts so long that you'd never be able to regen..

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject:

Problem with pvp means one thing and pve means another is, how do you get a feel for it before its your ass ? I think the combat skills suffer in this regard too, and especially dirt kicks. A precedent is set but still, its something I think would like to avoid.

Another idea I started kicking around this morning (its a shot in the dark, but it might work) is you begin sleep, and it starts pulse counting, so that you get your regen when you wake up - and no regen if you are woken up. And another idea I generated off that one was some kind of skill that rogues can use on a sleeping opponent to keep them awake. Maybe feed some hardcore drugs in their mouth, and they'll wake up raged (so that they can't sleep... although not sure how rogues going to kill someone with 400 extra hp). You'd just be too afraid of it to try sleeping, and blackjack would be pwnage instead of free regen. Actually this idea seems familiar already for some reason. I was thinking like when that chick gets her adrenaline shot to the heart in pulp fiction, and she's just "Gaaaaaaah". I dunno though. I'm just swinging crazy punches. I would like to leave the tick alone though. Slade made good points about it helping the wrong class. Meantime we need to come up with something to iron it out a bit.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Updates All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: