Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 2 hours.

Changes to transportation spells
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abandoned Realms

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 7:17 am    Post subject: Changes to transportation spells

To address some of the cheeses caused by the various magical spells used
for transport, some updates have been made to them.

* word of recall can go through curse, if considerably higher ranked
* potions of recall must be of sufficient strength. Seringale's recall
potion shop has been stocked with a variety of recalls, make sure you
buy the right one for your rank
* word of recall (including potion) causes area echo when used
* spells phase shift, gate, heavens gate, group gate, also cause
area echo when used
* phase shift, gate, heavens gate, and group gate, also have a build-up
time which must be spent stationary, so you can't just easily vanish across
the map
* phase shift will not travel to the temple for a while until more time
can be spent on this particular problem

Report any errors or unexpected behaviour via NOTE TO IMP or to the forum.

0 0 0
Louis

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 7:26 am    Post subject:

these classes have become considerably less noob friendly but at the same time the realms just got a whole lot more interesting. i expect to hear about alot of "hot on the trail" chasing sequences in the future.

big change. wow.

0 0 0
Clifton

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 7:40 am    Post subject:

Gate is cool though... so now, you might be able to gate out of combat after initiation. That's sure to piss some would be pkers off. Especially post bash...

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 7:49 am    Post subject:

Nope, getting attacked will disturb the spell.

0 0 0

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:18 am    Post subject:

Why has phase shift to the temple been taken away? Psionicists suck enough as it is, no need to gimp them any more, unless you're going to delete the whole class. At least give them word of recall or something if you do that.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:36 am    Post subject:

Quote:

phase shift will not travel to the temple for a while until more time
can be spent on this particular problem

It hasn't been "taken away", its just going to be out of commission for tonight, as a bit more time is needed to mull over how best to tackle the order of operations to allow argument input into that particular function.. its basically what you get if you allow heaven's gate to have an argument, i.e. you make it like gate. & I tackled the thing like heavens gate, rather than like how I did gate. So the way I tackled it makes adding that in really pretty hard (compared to the ease of just cut and pasting heavens gate into a psi spell and allowing a 'temple' argument), & you can consider that a temporary "bug" in the function. I created a fairly similar gate/group gate, and a fairly similar heavens gate/phase shift, but the two are different enough themselves that I'm not sure that phase shift can jump into the gate category. It probably will though. But anyway the point of the thread here is to collect bugs, not re-iterate ones I already have stated, so don't whine about that further here.

0 0 0
xanthas

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Changes to transportation spells

Abandoned Realms wrote:
* word of recall (including potion) causes area echo when used
mind explaining to this newb what area echo is?

0 0 0

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:22 pm    Post subject:

Perhaps this is how it was meant, but...

The change now makes illusionists more offensive than ever. In fact, playing a passive healer/psi/ill sounds as though it has become almost a thing of the past. Admittedly, this hinges on how long this "charge-up" lasts, but I will say one thing about this:

These transportation spells have now become completely utilitarian, with the exception of initial offense. I am a poor PKer, but all of my kills come from victims that were sluggish at moving - they weren't even stationary, but if they blundered into walls three times in a row consistantly, they were dead. A charge-up may indeed be a welcome change, but a stationary charge-up, in my mind, seems downright crippling.

0 0 0
Brains

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:24 pm    Post subject:

I claim responsibility for the above post in the name of jih... um, I mean, Brains!

0 0 0

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:51 pm    Post subject:

clarify this for me "causes an area echo" do this mean if you word back to town everybody in town hears "someone appears at the temple of light?"

0 0 0
Flumm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:28 pm    Post subject: Area Echo

Probabl means that if you recall from emerald to escape a pk, everyone in emerald knows that someone recalled. Definitely there to help the chaser.

0 0 0
Louis

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:46 pm    Post subject:

someone words or gates.. "a stream of energy flows past you" if you're in the area.

0 0 0
Sebryn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:09 pm    Post subject:

I also saw something like "a beam of light shines nearby" or something... should've logged it or something.

I figured the 'stream of energy' was a gate and the 'beam of light' was a word.

0 0 0
Gygh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re:

Darn, that means no more word of recall while fighting... This is even more effective if you're fighting in the same room as you're temple. I guess that makes things easier for pk'ing. Gygh doesn't need to recall to run, but I started keeping two black staffs (teleportation) just in case- however I had to use the first one up because I was exploring without a recall.

0 0 0
Sebryn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 7:35 pm    Post subject:

Uh... don't know if this was an oversight or just a damn shame, but is there a reason that milky whites got watered down along with this?

Just curious, 'cuz now you're just about FORCED to buy potions from Seringale.

0 0 0
Brains

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:33 pm    Post subject:

Okay, the delay isn't as bad as I'd feared, but it is still long enough for anyone with half-decent knowledge to keep someone from using any of those transportation skills in any of the small-to-medium- sized areas, like Seringale. Just forget it.

Still a very severe blow to passive players, and a strong encouragement to play very offensively.

0 0 0
Tara

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:00 pm    Post subject: I must be missing something

So I think I must have misinterpreted the note and was hoping someone might fill me in. I'm playing a rank 26 char, first I've played since a long hiatus from AR. Going to the potion shop in seringale it wil let me purchase the lesser recall, but says I cannot buy the medium recall because I "cannot use it yet". It looks like you cannot purchase the next recall potion until you reach rank thirty. When I tried to use the recall it would let me purchase (the lesser), however, it said the recall is too weak for me to use. I had a groupmate try this as well with similar results. So......unless I'm missing something this leaves me without a recall at all. Could this be a bug? or are we supposed to gain our recalls somewhere else entirely now? Eh, some help would be appreciated for I am really confused.

0 0 0
Clifton

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re:

Gygh wrote:
Darn, that means no more word of recall while fighting... This is even more effective if you're fighting in the same room as you're temple. I guess that makes things easier for pk'ing. Gygh doesn't need to recall to run, but I started keeping two black staffs (teleportation) just in case- however I had to use the first one up because I was exploring without a recall.

Also... this means "hell in a cell" in deathtraps... that isn't going to go very good... will be interesting to abuse for a while...

0 0 0
Clifton

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:07 pm    Post subject:

[edit]I meant amsue, not abuse... [/edit]

0 0 0

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:24 pm    Post subject:

I don't like the area echoes. It doesn't do much but create spam. First off, if you're gating to Asscrackville it doesn't really matter if they know that you did gate, because they don't know where you gated to. Second a character is in the middle of an area and just suddenly dissapears, it doesn't take that much to figure out that they gated or recalled.

I'm also not a big fan that if you're level 39 you have to buy level 30 potions of recall and hope that they work. That's a 9 rank difference.

Everything else though is a good change.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Updates All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: