Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Recovering the Lost Arcane Relics" is underway, and ends in 3 days, 12 hours.

defences

View previous topic :: View next topic  
raginggnome

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:45 am    Post subject: defences

Hello, I was wondering if one should still not learn dodge before training shield block and parry? I know before the combat modules it was easier to train dual parry before practicing parry, then training parry and shield block before practicing dodge. Does this still apply?

0 0 0
Stephen2_Aust

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:02 am    Post subject:

No way..... Raging Gnome..... You're my hero!

Obviously you have a character? Is this your first since a hiatus, or have you been playing for a while?

HEHE awesome.

As for your question, the order is all randomised now, someone more knowledgeable will explain.

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:40 pm    Post subject:

Practice all of your defenses as you get them. The major change several years ago was to check "misses" before defending, so you don't bother to try to dodge an attack that wasn't going to hit anyway. You train by fighting real mobs now, not chickens and hobgoblins.

1 0 0
raginggnome

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject:

Oh, OK. Guess it makes it less monotonous, lol. Thanks for answering my question Olyn. I've been playing for a while now, just was curious if singling out a defence was still the best way to learn that one specifically.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:53 am    Post subject:

There has been some effort made to randomize the order of the basic defences but it is really not properly implemented. Suffice to say, all chances being equal, expect that dodge will master first due to a preference for it being checked first (when parry gets first pick and fails, it is checked next - before shield block, and when shield block goes first, it is checked next before parry). That will be a PITA if you decided to train a halfling or something, with increased dodge chance and decreased parry chance due to its stats, and just having a low int. Of course 1 time out of 3, that defense is attempted regardless. You're only missing out on checks that are tried because another defense failed, which diminish as your skill % go up anyway (I think this is the point where you might actually care).

Dual parry is checked last, after the other defences, so I would I guess say wait on training the other defences (if I had any way to train it safely). Levelling with just shield block seems viable, but I think you will take way too much damage to train it if you don't pick up at least parry. Thats the only defense worth singling out since you can reflex mode for riposte.

Could fix that... think I will keep it as it is . Is there anybody who likes training warriors enough to prefer it like that?

As for the miss chance factor, that is related to your armor class. If you find a way to lower your armor defense (i.e. increase your AC by a positive number, unfortunately confusing) then the miss chance is less significant. I think its still viable to train on low level mobs if you happen to have a poor AC , especially with a surge to help. The problem is actually your damage output being high ... due to talisman changes. You might be better off just clearing a small area over and over and fleeing off the experience gains to avoid levelling if you're really that determined.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:51 am    Post subject:

I don't mean to necro this but since the thread seems to get searched, the answer is as of 2014, player characters defend attacks before AC miss.

0 1
boo,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Newbie Q/A All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: