Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 2 hours.

New command "hourconvert"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neonin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:10 am    Post subject: New command "hourconvert"

Just a little thing, how about a command that allows you to convert a number of real-time hours into Theran ones? That way if you can play for an hour, you can say roughly (because tick length varies) how long you'll be able to play in an IC way. So for example, if you can play for two hours:

Quote:
<100hp 100m 100mv> hourconvert 2
Two hours equates to roughly 240 Theran hours, on average.

I know it's also quite simple to do this in your head, but some people struggle to do internal math quickly!

0 0 0
Tiqa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:01 am    Post subject:

I love it! Will it work also for playing for fractions of hours. For example, if you want to say I can play for 1 1/2 hours...hourconvert 1.5'? Is there a reverse command, for example if someone says they will be around for 240 theran hours, how can we tell that is 2 hours?

0 0 0
Neonin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:16 am    Post subject:

Sure, it's just a question of coding the math. Maybe change the command to "convertreal/theran" so you could do:

Quote:
<100hp 100m 100mv>convertreal 2:35
On average, two hours and thirty-five minutes equates to roughly 310 Theran hours or 12.9 Theran days.

Quote:
<100hp 100m 100mv>converttheran 230
On average, two hundred and thirty Theran hours equates to roughly one hour fifteen minutes in real time.

The math is pretty simple:

Code:
CONVERTREAL
Parse input into minutes (x)
Result = x * 2
Display result

Code:
CONVERTTHERAN
Get "hours" from command (x)
Result = x / 2
Parse and display result

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:10 am    Post subject:

Hi Neonin,

Sorry for the late reply on this, I have been terribly busy with graduation and it just fell by the wayside. I'm actually interested in implementing this. One of the metrics we have been gathering data on lately is trivial roleplay offenses, and the most common one by far (at least, for now) is players using the score/id numbers OOC - their strength, damroll, etc. Something like this is a step in the right direction, so I'll make sure that it gets prioritized. Whether players take it up is another matter, but I have a good feeling that this will actually give us some traction towards that goal of having better RP, since it at least allows us to give a player a kick up the ass for mentioning real time with a convenient way to translate it to Thera time.

I'm sure it'll be a while before you check back here, so hopefully it'll already be in the game by then. Great idea, thanks!

Cheers,
Davairus

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:59 am    Post subject:

Thanks Neonin for the great idea. It's been implemented. The full update can be found here: http://abandonedrealms.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=67106

0 0 0
Neonin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:23 pm    Post subject:

Sorry for the very late reply to your very late reply Dav! Razz Glad you guys found it a useful idea, hope it helped a little with your OOC issues!

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Roleplaying All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: