Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 2 hours.

Rend life damage fix
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Updates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abandoned Realms

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Rend life damage fix

Hi all,
We found that we accidentally made a typo when setting the damage of
rend life down a while ago, and we ended up making it do more damage
instead of less. We found this problem because we've begun auditing
our spells properly for a higher quality game.
Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience that this
problem has caused.

0 0 0
Dispater

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject:

better nerf Irelia

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:15 am    Post subject:

we don't nerf irelia here, we buff bards

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:27 am    Post subject: Second Rend Life update

The damage curve of Rend Life has been adjusted. Now it looks more like a, well, curve, and less like someone barfed on their keyboard and pasted it into the fucking code

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:36 am    Post subject:

Nycticora wrote:
we don't nerf irelia here, we buff bards

True dat.

0 0 0
Thorgoth
Immortal

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject:

Excuse me, I take my barfing seriously.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject:

I've halved the level co-efficient of rend life, which we've added recently. Since you don't get a chance to save, I felt I owed you at least a reduction on the level scaling. This spell looks kinda balanced now, but being able to easily fashion fully charged reaper scythes is still kinda problematic.

0 0 0
javey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject:

+1 nycticora

0 0 0
curisq

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:03 pm    Post subject:

I take my +1 back since by buff you meant *nerf every few days

0 0 0
curisq

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:04 pm    Post subject:

stop the neerfffssssssss

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:12 am    Post subject:

I think anyone who has fought a berserker recently knows that to be false. Also, its been over six weeks since the last rend life update and its already clear by now that it didn't do enough. I don't need another five year turnaround on this spell being fixed properly. We probably can't afford to wait that long again. You need to understand that poorly balanced class is a turn-off from logging in. That said, this is a much milder update than the last one.

0 0 0
Ozaru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:24 am    Post subject:

im a bit confused on the idea that necros are revamped then discovered to be unbalanced, just like invokers at their own time, dkns to a degree yet monks druids psi's are black listed because they are unbalanced as well. If you were worried about turning people off to the game because of balancing issues why release something that is unbalanced in the first place?

0 0 0
Faelon
Emissary

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:57 am    Post subject:

Things are often unbalanced when they are released, no matter what you are talking about. Cars are recalled, the iPhone has a tendency to drop calls and others have a tendency to bend if you put them in your back pocket when you sit. There is no way things are always going to be perfect out of the box, because the testing process would require so much more time that most people would simple be upset at the amount of it took to release something.

Pick your poison. Wait years for updates, or use the bug/issue forums to tell the imps/imms that something doesn't seem right.

I prefer frequent updates and changes, myself.

0 1
boo,
Ozaru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:03 am    Post subject:

then why not release everything else, if we are fine debugging the game as team with forums bugs and issues monks druids and psi may not be as op as some people think.

0 0 0
Vevier
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:31 am    Post subject:

Ozaru, there are a lot of different levels of imbalance. Some are easy to fix: Rend life damage being too high is a simple fix that may bring the class back into a happy balance. Time will tell.

The classes that have been removed have far greater problems with their balance than one spell that is slightly overpowered. To begin with, since they have been removed from the game, they haven't received the same attention that our active classes have with regards to other, more general, changes to the game. Including them as they are now would be a violation of the trust players have for as fair a game as possible.

That being said, http://abandonedrealms.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9866 monks are on the table for release soon.

Lastly, I would like to remind everyone that all work done on AR for your enjoyment is time that we spend not playing this or other games, and that Dav works his buns off trying to fix the hundreds of issues we currently have outstanding and others that you as players may not even see. All these changes make for the best game possible, and he deserves to be thanked for his efforts rather than having them dismissed as unimportant. I'm not asking you not to question changes or make your opinions heard but let's at least show a little respect while we're doing it.

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:50 am    Post subject:

the disabled classes would crash the game outright if they were just enabled. I mean instantly. And it would be a tight crash loop. Nobody would be able to even log in.

0 0 0
Ozaru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject:

Don't get me wrong I think these changes are interesting, but as a "former" player (only time will tell) a statement like that makes me feel like we are the games guinea pig to a degree. WIth that, players that benefit from unbalanced changes can even get exalted characters like Ravinah. Was the player skilled absolutely, but how much of it was the player vs the damage output. Mangles every round vs dismembers is very different. I understand everything cannot be tested to ensure complete balance because ideas are put to paper and then tested, this place doesn't have game developers and testing for five years. I guess for me and maybe some other people that complain about balance changes to remember that how we voice our concerns need to be done appropriately because blowing up about something that seems to be unfair, just may be but the response from the imms is just "fuck this guy" so I am not listening.

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:59 pm    Post subject:

You don't see many things that can be called "broken" skills/spells coming from Davairus, Nycticora, and I. We have a great team at the moment and have been rationing our time between cleaning up old messes and rolling out new toys for everyone (yes, the countdown to monks can now be measured in weeks...)

That said, there's been a lot of time invested in evaluating our spells and their damage. In this case, we just didn't see it sooner and Davairus got the damage where it needed to be as soon as the problem was realized, with sufficient time allowed for gathering data.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:21 am    Post subject:

Balance is an ongoing process.

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:06 am    Post subject:

That's why there are keepers, amiright?

0 0 0
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Updates All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: