Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 14 hours.

Brawl day forum
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you like brawl days?
Yes
69%
 69%  [ 16 ]
No
30%
 30%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 23

Ergorion

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:43 pm    Post subject: Brawl day forum

So this is here to discuss the benefits and drawbacks of brawl days. And also what you would suggest to make them better.

For me, I think brawl days give you a chance to test out the skills/capabilities of new classes. I have never had a pinnacled necro. Brawl day let me run around with a necro and some full zombies (granted I had like 50 damroll for uber rend). The "fun" part of brawl day ended up being, like, 8 people all slugging it out and cleaning up kills and such in a major gankfest.

While the idea of a brawl day to increase skill is a good one, the mechanics currently don't really support that. I have a couple ideas about that.

(1) instead of having super pimp gear at creation, you should have the option to choose one of the more common sets (malicious beast, regal radiance, etc). This will put people on par in terms of equipment. Mages can go hp if they want to, warriors can go hit/dam.

(2) instead of creating into the realms mostly naked, having to outfit, then train up all those unused trains, characters should come in with a certain amount of supplies based on the class
edit: and also come in with a suit of armor; I was going to say and full trains to hp but I guess some people might want to put some into movement or mana?
(a) warriors come in with 5 purples, a selection of weapons for combat style
(b) mages/clerics come in with purples if they need them and fly scrolls

(3) I have no idea how hard this would be to code, I'm just throwing it out there. Have an option upon character creation called "Warlord" or something (arbitrary name). A "warlord" brawl character can issue a challenge to another character and if accepted, be transported to an area for a 1v1 duel.

So basically continuing with the idea from (3) you could "Challenge Ranix Drkshyre" and if he accepts, you would both be transported to a drkshyre map and get to duke it out.

Last edited by Ergorion on Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:47 am; edited 1 time in total

0 0 0
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:53 pm    Post subject:

I like Ergorians ideas personally. Rares should be completely off limits, just the gear you can get from outfitting. You should create with it, and should not be able to pk. Should have to challenge someone to fight them. Would that be hard to do? Of course once challenged you could then fight someone endlessly till YOU kill them, or THEY kill you. Now, if you feel confidant, then you COULD accept multiple challenges and fight more then one person at once, but it would have to be by choice. It would give the necros time to prepare, it would give everyone time to figure themselves out and set aliases accordingly and all that good stuff

0 0 0
beia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:57 am    Post subject:

I like it the way it was, I died like 120 times in 2 days, got to be in every cabal, try out crazy combos and loved every second of it. I would get rid of all the rare eq though and start with more realistic stats and not a ton of extra pracs. Maybe max out stats for race at level 1 then auto level to 50 getting the proper gains ect.

0 0 0
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:25 am    Post subject:

No votes should list their arguments too.

0 0 0
Pops

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:52 am    Post subject:

I voted No. Not because I don't think there should EVER be brawl days, but because now doesn't seem like the time. It feels like brawl days are a good way to get non-active members of the community back in, but if you're already active, its just a sort of abrupt disintegration of the ongoing world. Newbies are not going to be happy campers on a brawl day I wouldn't think. Trying out a bunch of different stuff without worrying about dying is neat, of course, but that's not what AR actually IS. Ranking is easier now than I ever remember it being. If you want a pinnacle character it is there for the taking right now, just go get it.

0 0 0
Blashyrkh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:31 am    Post subject:

I agree with everything Pops said completely. This is just something to pass the time when the Mud needs to go down or the Immortals need to work on stuff, I really don't think spending more work on it to tweak it in any way is worth it. All it is is a giant gankfest anyway.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject:

This is clearly a straw poll, because I am definitely not committing to launch substantial class reworks untested into the live game unless I see at the very least, sound mathematical proof, which I will first spend hours checking and running simulations of my own. We do not have a track record that justifies this confidence. We have THREE closed classes because they were disasters. Have you forgotten this?

I assumed that you guys did, of course, want substantial class reworks tested properly, before you meet them on characters that you have put time into. If our players don't actually care about risking serious bugs that wipe out hours of their invested time, then I have no cause for alarm. If everybody votes no then I have to concede that there is a DGAF about quality in effect and I will proceed to let the turd drop on you like you asked for. And I will be linking you to this poll when your complaints start. Its a lot easier for me.

Some good suggestions for improving the brawl day were offered, and I'll use those as evidence that you guys are attempting to force an arbitrary YES-NO choice on this when there are other alternatives that work. We can improve the process. We introduced brawl days to improve the process. Now we can look at ways to improve the brawl days. Taking them away will just take us back to needing months to find out simple issues.

You might think that because things seem fine, we don't need to test. YOU ARE GRAVELY MISTAKEN. They're fine because it was tested properly. I can think of at least 3 bugs I found with invokers on brawl day that required level 36 characters, and we had to make a lot of helpfile updates because players didn't understand wtf was going on. Good helpfiles are hard and it helped a lot to have that scrutiny. We have a good process now, and undoing it is frankly idiotic. I agree it ran on for too long last time.

Go ahead. Vote. 75% no and maybe I'll waive brawl day and do all of the testing myself. 95% no and I'll waive it without the testing.

Last edited by Davairus on Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:13 am; edited 1 time in total

0 0 0
Esivole
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject:

brawl day for testing makes more sense than brawl day for the shits and giggles of it.

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject:

You should read the original thread again and then read this one maybe. You're freaking out for no reason. This isn't "should we cancel brawl days", it's "do you like brawl days". Beia's thread wasn't "let's have a brawl day to test a new class!" it was "let's have a brawl day for shits and giggles". You are reading paragraphs between the lines here, bro. Nobody's force feeding you a petition with nothing to go with it except mustard.

0 0 0
Blashyrkh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject:

I understand now. I was looking at it from a small standpoint, not really thinking of the bigger picture. I liked the idea about choosing sets after creation, that would help give more realistic results than having 50/50 something with beautiful silver armor. Having to gain convert and train hps is not such a big hassle, but allowing it all to be thrown into hp might actually make things a bit quicker for people to jump into action.

Maybe the characters can also start with a training weapon of each type of weapon skill that class gets? Coupled with some sort of adventurer set or something, purples, a recall, a few gyvels, etc. Sort of just added the training weapons to someone elses idea, but that is all I got for now it's too early.

0 0 0
Pops

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, if the Imms need a brawl day, they need a brawl day. I'm not complaining about that possibility. Game looks good to me, whatever you're doing seems to be working. I was just answering the question as asked, i.e. 'woud you like to have a brawl day?'.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:37 am    Post subject:

We're treating the DK rework as a new class like we did with invoker to nip problems in the bud. I'm not interested in running them for the sake of it and never was.

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject:

Pas a player with no programming skills and no access to what goes on behind the curtain of the game, I completely overlooked the testing aspect of brawl day. I was coming from a player-oriented mindset. And like ranix said, this isn't a petition to get rid of brawl days. It was just to get a sense of how many players enjoy them as players.

0 0 0
Faelon
Emissary

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject:

Most Brawl Days I've been a part of have come during unusual times in the games history. Servers going down and the like.

The last one had the release of Jotuns directly with it. So the level 50 testing makes sense.

I do like the idea of a set issued at the beginning, which I think would offer up even better testing fodder for the Immortals to take a gander at. Instead of a suit that doesn't exist, they'd be able to look at a 'real game play' scenarios.

Besides, I've always loved Brawl days. It gives me an opportunity to test a class at 50, without having to do all the tedious training. It isn't as 'real' as it would otherwise be, but it is still fun.

0 0 0
beia

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:52 pm    Post subject:

Okay, so we should get a brawl day when Dav is done fixing Druids and Monks, which I think should be released at the same time, so that pure fucking madness can ensue. Also let us make a giant ranger please, that would be fun, imagine a stone giant trying to hide behind a tree.

Last edited by beia on Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:39 am; edited 1 time in total

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:39 am    Post subject:

i remember seeing descs of some stone giant walking around with a plant growing on his head

0 0 0
Thorgoth
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject:

haha ^ me Smile

0 0 0
Andrael

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject:

Why hide behind a tree, when you yourself are the hill the tree is on?

0 0 0
Kornhole

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:23 am    Post subject:

I voted yes, and I will tell you why. The first brawl day I encountered in my AR career was shortly after I started playing. My highest character was 20ish, and the fiery dagger was the best thing going! I had no warning of brawl day (might not have known what a NOTE or CHANGE was yet), and must admit, being slightly disgruntled when none of my names worked. I decided to make a new character (maybe to ask an IMM WTF?). I was killed within 15 seconds of entering the command to rank to 50...before I thought about whether or not I even should. Took me about a half hour to figure out WTF was going on, and start to even try to get into swing of things, but once I did, I knew I was hooked. I think brawl days do not discourage all noobs, and even entice the hell out of some. My two cents. Love brawl days still, even though I have at least one of each class at 50.

1 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:24 am    Post subject:

What is it you guys like about the brawl days that our regular game doesn't alredy cover.

Gangbangs?

I'm genuinely curious

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: