Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 18 hours.

Herald and other in-game events received a MONSTER overhaul
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abandoned Realms

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject: Herald and other in-game events received a MONSTER overhaul

I have pulled out all the stops, ensuring that going forward, events
are absolutely ass-kicking. Here's what we've got.

* Heralds have a retooled, easy to use event scheduler. They can
schedule events within events if they want. They can use this to
make everyday events, and they can also specify events that are
races and contests. We're also able to track participation,
meaning we can get some records of that up on our webpage.

* There is mobprog support for events meaning the Imms can
create mob-run quests as they like, including marking your
participation that way (so it isn't player dependent). There's
even more improvement we can still do in this regard, and I will
be chasing that down to make sure you get to see events as often
as possible.

* "Addquest" is now awarding chips, the Herald official
currency. Noldo the map shop has been repurposed into a
special dealer that will only trade for Herald chips. To be
able to earn these chips you participate in Herald events.
The kind of prizes this allows you to win are gambling
vouchers, books, other strictly Herald-related things.
Heralds of course use this on themselves as well.

* We made some HUGE changes to the way we are harnessing twitter.
It'll be used as a stream of current happenings. Check out the
twitter feed and you'll see that this already began.

http://twitter.com/AbandonedRealms

We're tweeting funny things like teleport deaths, deletes. We
are tweeting events starting. We're tweeting cabal items
getting captured. Anything which we normally globalled, we
now also tweet it. We can post from the game, whenever we
want! And of course, we tweet the Herald events when they
start. Go to twitter and follow us on it, so you can easily
stay in the loop with the latest happenings.

Thats it for now. Talk to me on the forum.

0 0 0
Kato

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject:

Looking great! Let's get some more Heralds now to help run the show!

Twitter event updates is looking fantastic too. However, there's one recurring issue that this adds to, and that's OOC cabal knowledge. The cabal power possession tracker on the homepage was great, but allowed people to figure out which cabals have captured which items, without entering the game. I see now that this page is down, but I'm not sure if that's a bug or intentional.

Twitter could result in the same thing, with players checking twitter to look for recent activity from enemies and choosing not to log disadvantaged caballed characters if the matchup looks bad. Part of the reason AR is such a great game and so exciting to play is that the consequences for death are real and significant. Caballed characters get some pretty buff boons in return for the obligation to defend the cabal items, even against numbers. This means they have to eat deaths once in a while, and there's no way around that. I'd rather not see a system where people can avoid that OOC.

Sorry for the essay, I know that I'm nitpicking a specific change and that the rest have exciting RP implications for AR! I'd love to hear what other people think as well.

0 0 0
BlackWidow

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject:

Kato makes a good point about OOC. One of the best things about AR (and part of why I still play) is the fact that RP is valued, and not merely given lip service. I am not sure that tweeting character deletions helps to foster a good environment, either. It might contribute towards OOC knowledge slipping into the game, and not in a good way. For example, do we really want people talking in game about Legion members who have deleted? Unless it is someone associated with Legion, nobody should even know they are not still members. At least, not until their Herald releases an obituary, if they have been given permission to write about it.

Pardon the long essay, I was just trying to make a point. I think it is a great idea to do more with the events, but I am not sure Twitter helps foster a good RP-enforced environment.

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject:

Could just delay posting graveyard/tweets for x hours after delete occurs. This would prevent the already-prevalent instantaneous OOC gossip

0 0 0
beia

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject:

I agree also that this is way to much OOC info about cabal items. Also please fix your Twitter page.. it looks terrible.

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject:

Fix how?

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:03 pm    Post subject:

Deletes already on the graveyard. Right?

I'm fine with delaying it. I can easily support that. Just give me a ballpark idea of how much time.

0 0 0
Mikoos

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject:

B-but that also delays the satisfaction of knowing that a person deleted because of you.

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject:

Mikoos, I feel like that would be a good thing actually...

What about posting all deaths at the same time as the inactive purge? Is there a reason people wouldn't want that?

and also, WOO EVENTS!! Those of you who never had a herald who ran events probably don't fully get how exciting this change really is. But it is really, really awesome and huge props to Dav for building it for us. Producing and hosting events will be way easier from now on. Look for more heading your way soon!

0 0 0
Vevier
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:09 pm    Post subject:

I think deletes should be posted within a day. I like to have closure when I decide I'm done with a character and that means posting my feelings ooc.

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject:

I'm personally fine with deletes being posted immediately, and with allowing a little bit of OOC knowledge regarding the state of cabal warfare.

0 0 0
Kato

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject:

Immediate deletes are fine. It's only the cabal captures that are problematic

0 0 0
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 2:14 am    Post subject:

Yeah immediate deletes are important, it drives rp in many cases.

0 0 0
Pops

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 5:33 am    Post subject:

I don't think a hero's death in Thera would be all that secret, and it really does help to know this stuff when it happens.

Why not just have the town crier in Timaran yell about pinnacle deletes? Or even a note to all from the Mystics when someone important offs themselves. Might even make people think twice knowing everybody in the game will know when you pull the trigger.

Awesome how much work is getting done on the game right now. I'll have to give a Herald event a try.

0 0 0
Vevier
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 6:23 am    Post subject:

Because that's what we have Heralds for. You should look forward to checking out the mystique and hoping that the Heralds got your obituary.

The graveyard is an ooc thing, which serves an ooc purpose. It allows us as players to connect over the interactions that we had in character and to sort of debrief enough to be able to put a character on a shelf.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 6:24 am    Post subject:

What really inspires me to want to cause cabals to be more visible, is that these players the cream of the crop. They're the best pk'ers in the game, and they're often the best roleplayers too. As Imms, we're often very interested in the happenings of these players, and we think everybody else is too, but you guys don't have the Imm powers to see what's really going on, and frankly neither did we. I wanted to build something for everybody.

This is a social media age. We're used to having our smartphones, facebook, twitter, vine, tumblr, pinterest, reddit, 4chan... we are insatiable consumers for these tidbits of trivia. We are hooked on it. That's a part of our world. If AR is to remain relevant, it needs to bridge that gap from the 1990s where it started, and tap into these social media. We need to plug ourselves into it, lest we be forgotten. There's a need to stay relevant, but there's also a need to match the audience we entertain. We want to post things, we want to share the interesting things that happen to us with friends, and see the reactions, likes ("like" is especially addictive because it is enough to give us the acknowledgement we all crave from each other while still a minimal effort).

AR's twitter/facebook is a way - the only way - for AR to post and share things that happen to us (in AR) to our friends (in AR). There's also a chance that our friends, or friends of friends, will learn about this cool hobby through that and go viral, so there is an aspect of playerbase increase I'm going for too here. But what I'm truly looking to do is just connect. Just to connect to who played the game. Because we want to keep in touch. There was a time when AR had over 80 people logged in on it, and I am sure that they are on twitter and I am sure that they are out there, probably not even that far away. I think we need to do this, and for it to work, we need a lure big enough for people to want to pay attention to the stream. It needs to be something they really want to know about. In terms of the social aspect -- cabals are king. So I chose to highlight some cabal activity on twitter.

Of course, we could simply not do any facebook/twitter. If that is the case, we will continue down the path we have and see where it ends up. I'm not sure where that is going, but I don't see any good cabal activity coming of it. Offline uncontested cabal captures, hours of free points earned with nobody noticing... lame.. and besides, is it really that much of a stretch of imagination that capturing an item would summon its keeper from the far reaches of the universe to retrieve it? Is it even possible that encouraging players to play can hurt us?

Our events, the way we can use social media, and our capability to truly engage with our players is UNMATCHED. The MMO's code elaborate raid systems that fake it and con you with an (albeit usually fun) eq collection grind alongside 20 strangers that don't matter to you. I expect you'd prefer AR because you, like me, prefer a personal touch, loot system that isn't just a grind to boredom, an abundance of intelligent people playing the game with you, and the stupendously strong sense of brotherhood that our cabals all have. Our facebook and twitter activity is just intended to highlight and oil the wheels of that, and nothing more.

If you want to help me with this, please post suggestions that will help this vision to be realized more accurately. I think you do understand where this is coming from.

0 0 0
beia

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 6:28 am    Post subject:

This brings home a real real important thing. LIMIT US TO ONE CABAL PER PLAYER PLEASE. FORCE us to Play our ONE Cabal at a time.

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject:

can you stay on topic for like 10 minutes please beia

0 0 0
beia

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject:

Oh right Social media exploiting Cabal Warfare, I think it is a bad idea, new players are going to get spoiled. We should also put a link to Invokation on Twitter with some links to the maps.

0 0 0
Mikoos

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject:

Things to tweet:
Character pinnacles,
Challenge area deaths because I'm a sick bastard,
Custom or imm granted titles being achieved?
Characters getting heoric rating, but only once per character since that can be dynamic,
You know what? Why don't we just throw most wiznet related things on twitter that would be uber.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Updates All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: