Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 5 hours.

Werebeast spirit journey
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abandoned Realms

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Werebeast spirit journey

Upon their fifteenth rank, werebeasts may seek their animal form by entering
the dream world. Seek me in Seringale if you wish to undergo the journey.
This process can be performed only once during a werebeast's lifetime and
there is no going back once you have chosen.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:00 pm    Post subject:

Vanisse came up with a personality quiz that helps you figure out what sort of beast makes sense for you to be attuned to, IC.

This is something I'd like to do more of because there isn't a MMO that I know of which has this kind of depth for roleplay, and I doubt there ever will be. If you think about the technical challenge of it for those guys, its probably just plain hard, whereas its a half days work for us (on and off). I did have to beef the mobprogs up to do it. But thats also led to the new games - scissors paper stone on Garp from Vevier, the theran race timers, the bard that sings 99 bottles... its going to be a huge pay off in terms of world realism.

This is just the first of many great changes from Vanisse I imagine.

* couple of people are taking the quest and being confused by what to do in it. you type the FULL direction name e.g. west not w

0 0 0
Libera

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:53 pm    Post subject:

I for one know a lot of what Vanisse is doing, as I sort of have asked her for a few things. And a lot of it is managing things that makes it a bit easier for us(Heralds) do make everything more fun for the other guys who are participating in the events. I am actually excited about all the stuff she does. And I know she does a lot. As do the rest of the IMM staff. I do like how even when you are busy and you guys see an RP potential and wish to butt in, you don't worry about it, you do it. And its that interaction that makes it a lot better than you guys just improving the game.

Vevier and Vanisse for example aren't afraid to do some RP when there is a group of people, let alone if Vanisse just sees a lot of them in one spot she'll just tag them and watch it all play out. It is a lot of stuff like that, that I feel makes this game different. Then again, I haven't gone out and played other muds so I am very much biased.

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:35 am    Post subject:

The new mobprog capabilities that Dav introduced has exponentially expanded what we can build for you guys. I'm personally super excited about what we'll be able to do down the road (so is Vevier; within the first two days of having the new builder toys she made THREE mini-games for you to find and play). And right now it seems like everyone is just bursting with creativity which makes things super fun. Beast select was my first experience with the new mobprog tools and it definitely won't be the last.

Hope you enjoy Smile

0 0 0
deioped

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject:

Suggestion to remove the old system of randomly assigning a beast at rank 15...

You still get a random beast upon rank 15 and can't take on this journey while transformed. Which can be a little confusing and doesn't make sense for RP..

Had a fox upon rank 15, transformed and panicked when Laucoon didn't give me the journey then did the journey (after coming out of the transformation) and turned into falcon.

0 0 0
Ozaru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:40 pm    Post subject:

well then, I am glad I haven't made my werebeast yet. Thank you for ensuring I get the one I want.

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject:

If it's not fixed by someone else in a week I'll get on it.

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:11 am    Post subject:

Werebeast type now *must* be selected using your dream quest, it will not be chosen for you. You can access the quest once you hit your 15th rank.

0 0 0
Ozaru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:18 am    Post subject:

ive tried this dream quest 3 times and didn't get the beast that I wanted. This isn't as easy as I hoped to get what I wanted.

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:29 am    Post subject:

womp womp.
There's an element of chance in there, I put that in intentionally.

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:33 am    Post subject:

You must be bold,,, like tiger.

0 0 0
uzume

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject:

Tony the Tiger. There!!! GREAT!!!!

0 0 0
Ozaru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject:

make that 4 rangers now waste a fking time

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject:

We coded it specifically to fuck with you Ozaru. You, and only you.

0 0 0
Faelon
Emissary

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:37 pm    Post subject:

Okay, come on now. You didn't seriously think this was coded in to make it better for 'pk only' did you? To make your life easier? It was to make the RP more dynamic and interesting. Just pick the rp for your character ahead of time and have fun, instead of focusing exclusively on "I wonder how easy it is going to be to kill someone with this one."

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject:

Everyone knows wolves are weak as fuck and you might as well re-roll a million times til you get the tiger!!

Tyger tyger burning bright.

0 0 0
Esivole
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:55 am    Post subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btPJPFnesV4

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:19 am    Post subject:

If you can't get the beast you want every time once you know about the quest, that might be an issue that needs fixing. I'm gonna give Vanisse the benefit of the doubt on that one and assume you are somehow doing it wrong. If I'm wrong that should be fixed.

The different beasts were too weak last I looked at them, specifically the female ones are stupid and were categorically weaker than the male ones. That's on the list waiting for its turn.

0 0 0
Ozaru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:46 am    Post subject:

10 to 12 hours wasted, 6 male rangers, 3 wolf 2 boar 1 ocelot chose different directions each time and ended up with the same 4 options

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:50 am    Post subject:

Nyc, I'm going to disagree with you there. You're not supposed to get the exact "beast you want" every single time. I specifically didn't want people to be able to get one exact beast type by choosing one path because it would defeat the whole point of the quest: any time you have a spirit animal type bonding in folklore or stories it's never the person picking the animal, it's the animal choosing you. Therefore, I included a small random shift. The whole reason I built this quest was to expand the roleplay experience and try to separate people from associating beast with stats. I have always found it partly hilarious and sad that werebeasts were suiciding in droves at 15 because they surprise-pigged.

Clearly the beast balancing (which we identified as a problem to be addressed at the same time that werebeast select was conceived) should have occurred at the same time as quest opening. That's my bad, I got too excited about ways to generate in-game RP support. I've always been an RP imm after all, and I'll admit the beast balancing slipped my mind because of how exhilarated I was to have finally finished my project haha. Primarily I opened it to see how this type of game concept - something that supports the building of your backstory and your character's personality IC in a more interactive fashion - came across to you players. However, the imbalanced beast types does throw a wrench in my quest so if you guys decide that you want random draw back until beasts are all balanced and ready to go I'm not going to be offended. I guess if you wanted you could even just put random draw on at 16, so at 15 you meet the guildmaster and are told you may take the journey, and if not your beast will find you its own, and the quest would then close. I don't mind building that option either, if it sounds amenable.

I'd like to hear some more constructive feedback on the quest instead of "boohoo I didn't get the beast I wanted", so I can decide if I want to do more of this sort of thing in the future, and figure out how to improve it. That would also be helpful for projects I might make later on. It doesn't have to be about the outcome of the quest, but also the way it is presented - if it was clunky and a different interface would be easier, or if anyone has better ideas of how to integrate roleplay into gameworld/NPC interactions a more complex, open-ended type of way than what we've had so far. I'm still busy with life stuff for another week or so but afterwards should have some time to fiddle with fine tuning and brainstorm new ideas.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Updates All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: