Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 4 hours.

Webclient has been released
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abandoned Realms

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:20 am    Post subject: Webclient has been released

We have released a browser-based mud client to help attract visitors to the
game. The address of the client is:

* http://webclient.abandonedrealms.com

The client is MXP and MSDP enabled and is worth visiting for those features
alone. Thanks go out to marsd and Vanisse for assistance with coding, and
Vevier, Thorgoth, trojal and a few other of our veterans for testing.

Please visit us on the forums to let us know what you think about it!

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject:

Here's what the client looks like. Notice that I turned off my prompt..I don't need it.

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject:

It looks awesome. I said it before but I so wish I'd had it when I still played extensively on Gmud Laughing

One thing I noticed is the first time I tried to log in it didn't capture inventory properly and outputted pile of text:
Code:
INVENTORYa bound scroll1a wyvern-marked [1z<send "examine &text;|wear &text;|drop &text;">[7z[1z<font color=Lightgrey>[7zbracer[1z<font>[7z[1z</send>[7z1a pair of clover sprigs1a barrel1a small tent1a vulture's foot1daggers1a star-tipped wand1a slimy stave1a pile of letters1a training axe1a long handled mop1a fiery dagger1a sparking lightning sword1sharpened cards1
and didn't update after that. This fixed itself when I quit and reconnected.

0 0 0
Andrael

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject:

Still using gmud >.> I might try using this more often though, it looks really nice.

0 0 0
Faelon
Emissary

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject:

I tried to post a prt scrn of what I am seeing. What I'm seeing is vastly different then what you are seeing.

HP/MANA/MV bars are half covered by the window above.

Name of Room and 10 key are overlapping one another.

Everything seems squished, to be honest. I am using Chrome Version xx.120 m. Which chrome says is up to date. I am not improperly zoomed and my screen resolution is set at the highest level I can set it at.

Is this a chrome issue? Or a me issue?[/img]

0 0 0
Clifton

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject:

Looks like a "you" issue. I have no issues with it in Chrome.

What's your screen resolution?

If I squish my windows the text box gets crunched up, but the display and buttons are fine.

Are you running lots of extensions?

0 0 0
Andrael

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject:

On my chrome its just fine, but I don't know, I seem to just like gmud better on my personal computer, but if I'm at a friends place or something, will prob use the webclient if I don't have my comp

0 0 0
Mikoos

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:45 pm    Post subject:

it's pretty sexy in chrome for me as well. one thing I noticed is, I have to highlight and hold and then CTRL-C for copy, instead of just highlighting and copying. so, that's a little clunky. Aliases, apparently J can no longer be used as an in game alias Sad thanks to the jump social. I have a feeling I'll run into more -isms like that.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:30 am    Post subject:

Faelon, try a hard refresh. Ctrl+shift+R. I think you were testing it and your css is old.

Just for the record, it is not supposed to replace a standalone (i.e. one that can be downloaded) mud client. Its more of a thing for if you want to get somebody to try the game, give them this link, and let them get actual mud clients if they want more feature-rich clients. I recommend mushclient for this, as it can access all the features, but any client which supports MSDP (tintin) can get you the good shit into capture windows. I created this from nothing in 2 weeks starting with no idea what I was doing, so I don't know why so many mud clients don't support these protocols. They're really quite easy to implement.

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:07 am    Post subject:

I had nothing to do with this project and everything to do with saying how cool this is!

0 0 0
Ozaru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject:

why not make your own brand of clients for us?

0 0 0
Faelon
Emissary

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject:

Yeah?! Why aren't you dedicating your life to something other than monks and the general upkeep of the game!?

You awful people you! You made this client to attract more players and you know? It isn't even a full blown client. Like.. pshh. Horrible people you.

0 0 0
Ozaru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject:

if it is easy and he can make it profitable why not. I do not know what he does for a living, but maybe he can make some money off it. don't get your undies in a bunch

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject:

As Dav said this client was created with the express aim of easing new players into AR. We are aware of the attractiveness of an AR-optimized standalone mud client for our existing playerbase; we've toyed with the idea of setting up an optimized MUSHclient plugin. The issue, as always, is whether it is a good use of our Imms' time and effort on such a project. Dav's focus on this great webclient was at the expense of clearing higher level in-game bugs and working on features, e.g. monks, and other delicious surprises to be revealed. What I've personally aimed to do recently is try to streamline as much of the busywork (helpfile edits, typo fixes, aesthetics) off our main coders' hands as possible to let them focus on the major improvements they contribute to AR. Don't worry; everyone on our staff has a job to do behind the scenes. We aren't just sitting about twiddling our thumbs and waiting for someone to break a rule Razz

The thing is, our recent addition of MSDP protocols means that AR has opened up significantly for *player* customization. Now you don't need the Imms to make everything gameside - with a bit of googling and tinkering, you can develop your own personalized client plugin (e.g. http://www.mudbytes.net/topic-2899). We already have a few players developing stuff for tintin; once this is done, it should be fairly straightforward to adapt them to other clients. If there's something you really want to see in a client, or if you want to set up a MSDP plugin-writing learning group, or if you want to jump in and build something cause you already know how to do it, that's terrific. Feel free to set up a poll or a forum thread and make this a community project. I think it'd be wonderful for everyone.

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject:

I have no idea what any of this means.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:48 am    Post subject:

I think you guys might've misunderstood me. This web client is absolutely pvp competitive. It has everything I had in jmc when I was the best active pk'er on the game, and much more. There are some gimmicks and limitations but they are not disabling.

I meant that I wasn't trying to make something to compete head-to-head with downloadable mud clients. I will help you guys write the mushclient plugin if you need me to, but I'm a bit tired out from doing all of this at the moment.

0 0 0
beia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject:

replace the link to the telnet on the main page to link to the webclinet.

0 0 0
Mummy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:06 am    Post subject:

Impressive. There's a lot of things you can look out without taking the time to type it without, which I like. Very nice.

0 0 0
marsd

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:48 am    Post subject:

I believe we tried to make the client as competitively viable as possible, i.e. input & output speed. It's also why there are so many visual addons (minimap, spell affects, score, channels, group health, prompt bars, target HP) that the generic client does not support out of the box.

There is also numpad support that is entirely PK streamlined and also can be fully customised (saving the customisations ETA soonish?).

If someone is willing to make a dedicated AR mushclient or mudlet plugin that'll be fantastic.

0 0 0
beia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:51 pm    Post subject:

something happens when you try to scroll up. I always locate things and it lags when I try to scroll up to see the whole list.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Updates All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: