Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 3 hours.

Monks just re-opened for play.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ozaru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:51 pm    Post subject:

What prompted these changes all I see on the log board is one monk beating up the same people. Maybe they haven't adjusted since this class is so new.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:50 pm    Post subject:

Its been coming, the problem was that the new styles were tuned before we all noticed (post-launch) that all of the martial arts A shit was taken away from the "defensive" empowerment. Since we had moved crane to "defensive", we had thus broken crane. So we put the attacks back on defensive. That buffed panda fed (which used to just haste two weak jabs) into hasting martial arts A, making it ridonculous. It also made leopard style put out more damage than it was supposed to, making the result that people actually go use panda for the purpose that crane is intended for.

Since I did want leopard style to be tanky, I just reverted the defensive reductions I had made to it and instead lowered the kidney strike damage to make up for adding more attacks to the empowerment as a whole.

That juist puts us back in the same position we were with drunken seemingly underwhelming, but it could be because monks arent drinking while doing it at the moment, or it could just be generally low anatomy skills on people

also the offensive buffs are good so check them out

0 0 0
Kornhole

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:37 am    Post subject:

I haven't tried recently, but when I first got drunken stance...entering it made me so drunk...I could not reach my mouth with the alcohol. Is this still an issue? I failed to try the PUKE command.

0 0 0
Andrael

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:29 am    Post subject:

With Drunken Style you're suppose to be drunk before going into it. What I don't like is that while my dodge is 'better', all of my hard trained stuff is techincally at 90% not 100%. I can understand that if I get drunk first then use drunken, but yeah, it makes drunken seem meh when I'm taking hits. I mean, the ability on leopard to add an extra chance to avoid an attack and strike back outweighs the damage bonus on drunken.

0 0 0
Andrael

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:30 am    Post subject:

Another thing, is that anatomies are hard to work up against mobs. You get it much faster from fighting other players. Im not sure if that was meant to be or not.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:26 am    Post subject:

The 90% skill thing on drunken is a side-effect of the alcohol - its not drunken. So what you're doing there is trading off the rest of your skills for a better dodge. Totally up to you of course, but I think there's a lot more to that choice. For instance, drunken style active is able to reverse (not just lower to 90%) other people's skills. You're probably not going into drunken style to do standard techniques.

I'm not sure how versed or well-read you guys are in martial arts .. I'm a lifelong enthusiast, and I still find this pretty hard. One thing I notice players do is they cycle through their styles trying to figure out what's the best one to use in a situation. That kinda makes sense to me because that's the same thing the Shaolin monks did - they watched animals and mimicked their movements to generate the kung fu techniques you see. But we don't really have the ability to make it 100% fit. For instance, the crane style's adaptation is supposed to be "height" and would actually defend well against attacks that are low (trips the only thing I can think of - and that's already been covered by panda). I didn't make much change to crane style, since I noticed it had a lot of hitroll on it, but its definitely not what I would've expected. Getting a ton of free hitroll is cool I guess. There's a belief in martial arts that generally the wrestlers beat jiu jitsu guys, who beat strikers, who beat wrestlers but lose to jits (I am not sure if I got this correctly off top of my head) - its like our combat styles. So what I'd say is look at the styles like that. They're going to have situations they are good in and others theyre not. That's the goal, and I think its a straight -forward goal. But its probably not gonna be as obvious to see how to correct whats still wrong at this point. Players will gravitate toward what works best with the least thought into it I think, and I'm guessing there will be emergent gameplay nobodys thought about yet

0 0 0
Mr. Forgotten

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:44 am    Post subject:

Iron body and healing are major contributions to yin empowerment users.

Personally, I still find offensive stances severely underwhelming.

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:41 pm    Post subject:

Did we take into account the full affects of being drunk? i.e. enhanced damage is 10% lower, weapon skills are 10% lower, martial arts B, anatomy, etc. are all 10% lower.

These skill reductions when all piled on top of each other multiplicatively - fewer attacks, attacks hit less often, less damage with each attack, less damage multiplied by enhanced damage, The dodge bonus would have to be insanely high to offset that before I'd ever consider using it, I mean like 300% or more.

Last edited by Nycticora on Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:11 am; edited 1 time in total

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:36 pm    Post subject:

Well its legacy so I'm not sure. Our predecessors weren't completely retarded but I think we pretty much all find this questionable. I'd have expected a buff to everything, certainly not a nerf. It could just be oversight. We should definitely be worried about being sucked into making it way way too buff though

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:58 am    Post subject:

Monks don't get enhanced damage, right?

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:12 pm    Post subject:

Well Ergorion, that isn't entirely accurate. Their anatomy serves the purpose. If we're just talking about monks that don't bother to train their anatomies, then the answer is no. Those monks don't get "enhanced damage". But monks have to really train hard to get all anatomies for all races done. I may have to collapse a few of these into humanoid + giant (like slith and minotaur) so it isn't so terrible.

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:03 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, I should have said "anatomy" not "enhanced damage". Everybody knows I suck dick with monks though so forgive me the error lol

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:52 am    Post subject:

I've updated anatomies tonight, there is no longer an npc penalty, but they raise basically the way weapons do. You need to actually hit. Make sure you have hitroll. If it feels like its going up too fast, just let me know. I just wanted to make sure we're covered for guild reward and stuff, but the code turned out to be a gigantic pile of shit, so I rewrote it all. I didn't include surge in anatomy training skill because I didn't feel like doing it.

Code:

'ANATOMY'

Monks may study the anatomies of races, thus learning the weak spots of each.
As they gain more knowledge about one's body, they are able to inflict more
damage.  This is checked with each hit, with the success depending on the
general anatomy skill.  The amount of bonus depends upon the knowledge in
that specific anatomy.  This knowledge also aids the monk in performing
special moves.

List of anatomies, along with example races, follows:

constructs : golems, mechanus, default race for mobiles
dwarven    : dwarf and duergar
birds      : avians, chickens, and other fowl creatures
illithid   : illithid
beasts     : most animals, e.g. cats, dogs, transformed werebeasts
humanoids  : humans, gnomes, halflings, half-elf, other obvious bipeds
aquatics   : anything that belongs underwater
giants     : fire giants, stone giants, minotaurs (jotun is humanoid)
dragons    : dragons
demons     : demonlords, imps, quasits, mephits
elven      : elf and drow
elementals : creatures made of elemental fire, ice, water etc
undead     : undead
reptiles   : slith, snakes, lizards and so forth
plants     : treants, man-eating plants

Anatomies may be increased to 100, and increase the same way as weapons.

1 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:40 am    Post subject:

This is pretty big news for monk warlords

0 0 0
Kedaleam
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:13 pm    Post subject:

Odd how it affected currently trained anatomies but with the change it really shouldn't matter with a bit of time. I like it. Should help all monks.

0 0 0
Andrael

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:15 pm    Post subject:

That's awesome, thanks for the hard work Dav Very Happy

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:21 am    Post subject:

update

- Due to a severly hazardous bug I had to completely recode the chakra strikes, it should not look different to you guys, but it really is different. the bug was that it could kill players twice if you land the good one.
- I opened the amazing dragon punch chakra strike to all styles.
- I made the forms (those were the "vuln hits") falll off of this chakera mechanic instead of being on every hit, and I made these require a combat style advantage. Instead of being "vuln hits" they are now always going to boost damage, but they'll modify the damage type (ie. cold , fire etc) based on whatever style this is in. A few of the styles have special interactions with chakera, so in the case you can do both, you'll try to do the special thing first, and if you fail it, the form
- I don't feel very fond of random, so I also added a hitroll bonus to all chakra strikes attempts and mentioned form attempts. I think this will also help monks feel more satisfying in general
- I changed the chii start to 50 and there is no longer "free regen" all the way to 100, it will pause at 50. you can either meditate or use skills to pass 50. this is significant becuase fists of fury is 75.. and..
- fist of fury now provides a nice damage bonus but spends chii very quickly. I checked and found myself able to sustain it with the chii back from kick, but its not that easy to just keep on activating it. Hopefully this gives it tactical use instead of just being lol deeps and monks can now do their famous big damage on somewhat of a leash.
- fixed a bug that was letting second parry work in offensive (i dont know whether that is a good or bad thing right now, but a bug is a bug, we all already thought it was like that)
- tiger style now applies its old damroll affect, and counts as a berserk, this means that you suffer the penalties of berserk in your defenses
- kicks better while a style is active for certain styles
- grapples now easier on a guy who is "grounded" (e.g. air thrashed)

* incase you needed to be reminded, chakra strikes are anatomy-based

2 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:46 am    Post subject:

offensive back in the shitter. turns out monk defenses are dogshit. like, really, really crap. will fix on weekend.

1 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:37 am    Post subject:

monk fixings. Apologies if I have missed anything from this list.

* chakra strike chance now has an inverse relationship to the odds of anatomy going up. This is mathematically very pleasing to me, although to be on the safe side I halved the proc rate. If you feel its not coming out very much now, we can safely double that. Otherwise, we'll leave it.
-> note that hitroll still helps here

* CHII BOLT MECHANIC REWORK. Now you gain "levels" of chii bolt by scoring successful chakra strikes. Max is, as before, 3. I removed the emptying chii thing too.

* The cost to enter styles has been halved.

* The bonus damage from anatomy is now based just on the anatomy skill. I think it was too crippling to have to train from 0 to 100 just to do damage on par with other races. Matter of fact I think its straight up retarded. There, that's my opinion of that. If you disagree with me, fuck you. I'm sure you won't. Specific anatomy skill is used in the chance to chakra, which ultimately is more damage, more chii bolts, via surprise random procs.

* a bug that was preventing monkey, leopard and snake from ever doing their special chakras has been fixed. this sucked. I am VERY SORRY about this bug.

* on another note, fists of fury was also incorrectly disabling the anatomy bonus, which meant that it actually lowered your damage. herp. This is fixed. This should now be a significant looking bonus.

* monks parry defenses have been buffed. And by that I mean they were just raised to the same baseline as the other classes have it for parry. It sucks to keep finding out that monks are more and more of a train-wreck, but I think this was the last thing we needed to find.

* the duration that styles remain active has been increased by one round

* bonus treat: while active, the mantis style now does a special "grasshopper kick" this has potential to be enormous damage, or also suck. Those of you who have played whack a mullet will know what this will look like. Whack a mullet is by far my favorite game in AR, so it was natural to turn it into some sort of a skill. It caps at 5 stacks rather than being uncapped like whack a mullet. i have a feeling that mantis just became the strongest offensive style

1 0 0
beia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:51 pm    Post subject:

Evil Monks have Bronze and can wear Malicious Beast without overburden.

Neutral Monks obviously have Treant Thews unless that has changed.

Light Monks use to have regal radiance, now it is over burdened because Rosemail is heavy? When did that happen and why? The Description for Rosemail is obviously light armor.. Pallys do not get any sort of bonus on it for holy armor..

My question is are we trying to get people away from wearing set equipment? I thought that was supposed to be idea for the players who do not have 50 hours of gathering equipment to devote to the game a month.. Now it is like it is phased out.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Updates All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: