Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 18 hours, 49 mins.

Confinement may be feasible

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Past Balance Patch Thread Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Confinement in cabals (duration TBD)
Yes I'm in. I like boots to asses.
58%
 58%  [ 7 ]
Yes if its not a death sentence.
25%
 25%  [ 3 ]
Not for me. Not one bit. Worst idea ever and anyone who disagrees is wrong.
16%
 16%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 12

Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:22 pm    Post subject: Confinement may be feasible

Since the cabal item retrieve is now done outside cabal grounds, confinement would therefore just be a cabal defense mechanic. So I think confinement can have a place in the game again. Floating the idea looking for somebody to poke a hole in this.

p.s. Incase you forgot, DK/necro/zerker all perform superbly in a confined situation.

Last edited by Davairus on Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:24 am; edited 1 time in total

0 0 0
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:26 pm    Post subject:

Honestly, I haven't liked having cabal items outside the cabal at all. This would change that. being able to confine invaders would be a nice addition. Correct me if I am wrong, but used to be confine worked like this. You had to wait off a set time, or kill the door guard to escape, meanwhile the defender can sit at the guard and attack you over and over again. I like it.

0 0 0
Ashlyn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:35 pm    Post subject:

I don't see a problem with it, but you're going to kill whatever invasions happen unless the invading side has a huge advantage in numbers.

0 0 0
hamsandwich

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:17 am    Post subject:

Remind me again why we moved items outside the cabal? I honestly can't remember.

And confinement would be used against the retriever? So for example, to help me understand, Legion caps the crown. Knight goes to Darkhaven to kill Vinnie. Legion confines Knight. Now Knight is locked inside Darkhaven and can't leave? So he has to get his item back, with no cabal powers/defenders and stuck inside Darkhaven?

Or do I have this totally backwards and its used against an aggressor? So Legion goes to Castle to steal the crown. Knight goes to defend and confines Legion. Now Legion is stuck inside the tiny ass Castle and can't leave? Both cabals have cabal powers and the aggressor now faces an even steeper battle to steal the crown?

Honestly both situations seem to be adding an unnecessary amount of difficulty, imo. The first situation just takes a major giant shit on the retriever who probably had is item capped while he was offline. So fuck that.
The second situation makes it so no one is ever going to capture items while the other cabal is online. Which means item caps will be exclusively offline things. Which I thought was what we wanted to prevent.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:38 am    Post subject:

hamsamwich, it is aggressor only. Also noting, this probably only needs to be 2 tick, not the current 8 tick, with a cool-off period to prevent spam. The strategic value is in stopping someone just grinding your guardian to half dead via conservative harassment.

Offline captures has been handled another way IIRC.

0 0 0
hamsandwich

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:40 am    Post subject:

Alright. Thank you for the clarification.

That is definitely the better of the two scenarios I imagined, so that's good at least. Admittedly I still don't see the appeal. But if others believe it to be a good addition then I don't have a super profound reason to disagree, so I'll defer on this one.

0 0 0
Ashlyn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:17 am    Post subject:

Two hour confinement isn’t really going to change much, just means people will not take as much chance with invasions. Why not just make it so that you cannot exit their cabal with their item if the guardian is still up. So you have to kill the guardian and the keeper. Increase the respawn timers on the guardians. It’s hard enough to make solo caps against opposition so unless you’re the most amazing badass that ever lived you may have to wear it down. Or never invade unless you have a numbers advantage, which I think is a lame way to play.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:55 am    Post subject:

It all depends Ashlyn, e.g. on the Legion side, we see necros try to flee past a guardian and ended up confined inside with no zombies. On the other hand, great for defense as a necro. This is counter-productive to use as a healer defensively, but that class can go offense and get the item and flee off easily. Also we would be able to tune the duration to give it teeth. I wil say though, if a Knight is chickening out of raiding a cabal over a 2 tick prison, they probably already had no business raiding it
This is something I personally feel is important to have in the game with the lack of abduct/imprison confines anymore. Still cant believe imprison was removed. So dumb. Anyway, the thread is an opportunity for wider discussion an consensus not just to get people's agreement but to make sure to demonstrate the mechanic has broad enough support and appeal that someone does not feel to take it on themselves to just remove it without a discussion, myself included.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Past Balance Patch Thread Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: