Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 11 hours.

Radical thief idea
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you think any of these measures would help to increase player time?
Remove steal + lower pry success. People will be less scared of thieves and more likely to play during times with active thieves.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Allow damage from hunger/thirst to wake you again. Why was this changed anyways?
23%
 23%  [ 3 ]
This is not a problem. People do not avoid logging in due to active thieves.
46%
 46%  [ 6 ]
More stringent RP enforcement for thieves
30%
 30%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 13

Kalist19
Emissary

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject:

Nah, posting this idea would have been embarrassing if it was due to getting robbed recently. I haven’t been robbed for a really long time and don’t care about my own eq all that much so I’m not embarrassed at all. It was just a bad idea and that’s it. Not a malicious or petulant idea.

What I should have done instead though, was post a topic titled “what things can you guys think of that either make people quit out or avoid logging in”. Step 1 should have been to have people brainstorm things and then see if we could think of any ways to address those things either through trying to change our culture, modifying our role play, tweaking skills, etc.

Or maybe we would have just come to the consensus that “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” and it was a bad idea to try to think of ways to improve player involvement. Or maybe we would identify a bunch of things but have no actual way to fix them. Either way, I don’t feel bad about having a discussion with the intent of making the game more fun for people.

1 0 0
Phostan
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject:

As someone who had encounters with Yngfre on a daily basis towards the end of their life span, it was annoying, but understandable. Being able to pry off a piece of gear and remove someone's set bonus was a very powerful tool in my opinion. Torments of Hell, no Torments of Hell, Torments of Hell, no Torments of Hell.

0 0 0
Vevier
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 2:55 pm    Post subject:

I feel like the point of this thread was not to nerf thieves but to find a way to make being the target of a thief a less frustrating experience. Sure, it may be fun for a thief to pry shit but with the playerbase as low as it is, I think it's valuable to discuss how we can make this a less negative experience for the victims. Right now, its just blackjack, steal your shit, then hide until they can quit and thats no fun. You can't even reply to start a conversation with them, which is doubly frustrating.

To that end, I voted for letting hunger/thirst wake people up again. At least then you have a chance to stop them mid-steal. It gives the victim a single tool to use vs them, especially those classes that don't get faerie fire/faerie fog.

1 0 0
Xerties

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 4:33 pm    Post subject:

I think Vev hit the nail on the head here. It's not so much about getting blackjacked and pried. It's that there's nothing you can do about it. At least when going up against a necro you can load up on SvM and try to avoid the sleep. Not so with thieves. I guess you can just avoid town though.

0 0 0
Phostan
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 4:58 pm    Post subject:

[quote]I think it's valuable to discuss how we can make this a less negative experience for the victims.[quote]

I'd like if we can make being pk'd a less negative experience for the victims as well. [/quote]

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject:

Why do we need to nerf stealth more:

A) faerie fire / fog
B) standing in the park or river
C) cabal pendulum announcing caballed thief logins
D) tavern announcing entry
E) lair guardians
F) lair saying someone walked in
G) 40 seconds of disabled hide after attacking (called "bloody")
H) herbal brews

That's a lot of help for a guy sitting around in full winter eq
If you starve yourself the thief will just time the tick to blackjack you. its plenty of time

Last edited by Davairus on Wed May 12, 2021 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject:

You could always do drugs. Spice is pretty cheap.

0 0 0
Ashlyn

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject:

Olyn with the hot take. Drugs are the answer folks.

0 0 0
Xenyar
Emissary

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 8:09 pm    Post subject:

D.A.R.E

0 0 0
Kornhole

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 1:07 am    Post subject:

Shit, what was that spice again? Where from? Whats it do? Too many IRL drugs?

0 0 0
tayyah

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 1:20 am    Post subject:

have lost so much saves gear to thieves, super easy fix, put all sack|close sack|wear sack

done

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 1:39 am    Post subject:

maeva/tayyah our issue is that these guys do not feel sufficiently embarassed about quitting out, epsecially from a bad rp perspective. i know you have seen them login and logout again popping their heads in for 4 hours to see if it safe.. they are emboldened by these sacks being high value (yes you can wear them) and also by the sets being fucked from losing one item. those are excuses but the echo chamber says 'its ok.. its ok' and literally that has cost the game new players so i think its time to think of a solution for this problem

0 0 1
Vevier
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject:

I have done some thinking and the thing that annoys me the most about thieves is not being able to reply. So the asshole steals your shit and mocks you and hides and you literally can't even complain.

Please reinstate replying to hidden so we can rp.

0 0 1
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject:

@Kornhole - You can find the spice at the storefront near the thief guild in Seringale.

0 0 0
tayyah

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 6:07 pm    Post subject:

sometimes these complaints are warranted (though, I disagree with almost all of them lol) But almost all of them, I look at them and think, this is what makes AR special. You guys keep putting nerf foam on everything and pretty soon we WILL be playing hell kitty island adventure

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 6:46 pm    Post subject:

Vevier wrote:
have done some thinking and the thing that annoys me the most about thieves is not being able to reply. So the asshole steals your shit and mocks you and hides and you literally can't even complain.

Please reinstate replying to hidden so we can rp.

I found this was changed on Dec 5 2014 - at the time I was just building the webclient. I literally can't find any trace of anybody proposing this idea. I'm happy to undo that.

1 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: