Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 10 hours.

Custom race picks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Past Balance Patch Thread Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:02 pm    Post subject: Custom race picks

In Q2, I would like to offer the option to pick some of the custom races we've done and have them unlocked via solving secrets on your first character. This is very easy to implement since those are tracked at account level.

Example, if you have completed the time travelling fall of Thalos quest, you may get to roll a mountain dwarf (Grimforge dwarf) which would come up after picking a dwarf.

We might use the thread to sort out what secrets we have that are challenging and appropriate enough to be worth mapping to a custom race.

0 0 0
Xenyar
Emissary

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:18 pm    Post subject:

access to custom races is cool. i do not want to see it tied to secrets

0 0 0
Vevier
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:02 am    Post subject:

I agree, why do we need to gate cool stuff? Custom races are cool, and they don't provide any advantages to people except maybe that their opponents would need to do a quick helpfile look up before fighting them instead of instinctively knowing their weaknesses.

0 0 0
BlackWidow

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:52 am    Post subject:

Personally, I thought that part of the deal with custom races was that you had to put effort into both the description and background... That it wasn't automatically granted. See, one of the things I like about AR in general is the fact that there is human interaction (even when some of those humans are "Immortals") in an era when AI is becoming more commonplace and sometimes causing problems. I heard the other day for example about some contract drivers for Amazon getting their jobs terminated by an AI program without any reason given; they had allegedly done nothing wrong and yet the program chose to fire them.

I know we live in an era of instant gratification, but that is also a reason why I don't think we should simply allow them to be unlocked with secrets. I would like to see people putting thought into their custom race characters instead of there being a method of simply obtaining it through a quest or with secrets (While I think the Raknos quest is pretty cool, I don't like the fact that you don't even need a background entry to play one).

0 1
boo,
Vevier
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:59 am    Post subject:

"I want the immortals to do more work to keep cool stuff away from people who don't deserve it"

Nah, if someone does the work, send your thanks and play your goblin.

0 0 0
Ozaru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:03 am    Post subject:

Do you guys really read the 7 backgrounds someone creates and care if you are a goblin or demon elf. Unless you create more racial legacies who cares

0 0 0
Kalist19
Emissary

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:21 am    Post subject:

It's called role play Ozaru, you should try it some time - it really enhances the AR experience.

Try to keep your individual characters unique and don't carry grudges between your characters and other characters. It's neat to be bitter enemies with someone with one of your characters but then a good friend with them on another.

Writing backgrounds helps you build investment into your character and makes you more likely to stick through the tough times because that just helps build their story.

Reading other peoples' backgrounds helps you gain insight into their character and possibly their motivations. It helps you see that they have some depth.

4 0 0
maeve

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:19 am    Post subject:

Taor worked hard to become an Orc!

And no, it wasnt 7 backgrounds, it was 10!

https://abandonedrealms.com/players/display.php?name=taor

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:46 pm    Post subject:

Oh yes we should absolutely do racial legacies for these choices. And I'm a big fan of reading peoples backgrounds / writing backgrounds myself but I think in this case I'm just looking for a way to encourage experienced players to advertise that (instead of hiding it)

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Past Balance Patch Thread Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: