Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 6 hours.

Automap vs Not

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jugahbu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:44 pm    Post subject: Automap vs Not

Is there any reason to not have automap enabled? Do you get any perks or bonuses from not using it like faster movement? I don't see a different whenever I have it enabled vs. not so I wonder why ever have it turned off and learn the lands

0 0 0
BlackWidow

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:18 pm    Post subject:

Depending on your connection, automap can slow you down... What I tend to do is simply put on BRIEF mode so I'm not looking at a map every single time I move (but I learned most of the areas when this wasn't a thing and would occasionally take a peek at the map around me as well as maps on the defunct invokation site to get some handle on parts of it). Relying too heavily on the map is also ill-advised; I've seen people, in the age of the golden road, who simply didn't scan when that was the best thing to do to figure out where somebody was in a PvP situation.

Also, if you like to record your own logs, automap text doesn't always go into it well. My logs don't have color enabled, they're pure ASCII text so the automap function effectively becomes wasted space I might want to edit out.

But if you're just starting out, there's no reason not to use it I guess. Some kids use training wheels before learning how to ride a bicycle, and that's fine. The same thing here: if you don't have the knowledge yet, don't worry about the fact that you're learning and do what it takes to get comfortable.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:49 am    Post subject:

There isn't much point to turn off the automap. It makes flee/murders a lot easier which seems the main reason to use it. I can't remember how long its been now, but going from playing about ..10 Justices? To playing a Justice with a minimap to chase apprehend with. Holy crap. That is an easy mode feature. I don't know how anyone fails to track with it.

On the other hand, there is one REALLY BIG downside which is that if you are dependent on this, you are going to get clowned in Darkhaven / harpies / mists . Any area with fog will smoke you. and some classes can cast fog. Literally it will kick your ass if you don't know how to move without it. And then from the rp'ing point of view, it feels less immersive to use it.

If there'd be a perk here, it'd be better exp if it was kept turned off, better loot from overlords etc, so that you turn it off for enhanced risk, and make up for stumbling around without it.

I dont think the automap feature is really much free game knowledge though. You get a line of sight radius and it doesn't show you certain hidden doors or much else that would save you having to discover it. And you still have to develop muscle memory to be able to move quickly regardless.

0 0 0
BlackWidow

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:53 pm    Post subject:

That is valid, Dav. Then there are the people who are capable of moving while blinded (I used to be at that level, I'm not sure if I still am; at least one of the Immortals has also proven to be proficient at moving across the map while blinded).

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: