Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 5 hours.

MUSHclient noob

View previous topic :: View next topic  
turningpoint

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:23 am    Post subject: MUSHclient noob

Hello all. I'm trying to get off of Gmud and onto MUSHclient, so that I can finally start posting some logs! There's plenty of info out there, but none of it seems to dumb it down in a way that I can understand. I'm just trying to do super simple stuff.

For example, in Gmud if I killed a large hobgoblin I'd make a trigger " a purple potion is here" to send "get purple." If someone can take me under their wing or just show me how to make a simple trigger that'd be greatly appreciated.

0 0 0
BlackWidow

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:41 am    Post subject:

If you're looking for triggers, the hotkey combo is Shift+Ctrl+8. This can also be accessed through the Configure part of the Game drop-down menu at the top of the client window.

0 0 0
turningpoint

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:02 am    Post subject:

I knew where the triggers were, but I can't get them to work.

Like if I see a purple potion and want to automatically pick it up this is exactly what im doing: go to triggers, click on add, in the trigger box type "a purple potion is here", and lastly in the send box i type "get purple." Its not working though...

Do I need to modify any settings or check/uncheck any boxes? Or am i just completely wrong? lol

0 0 0
BlackWidow

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:45 am    Post subject:

if it's as you typed it there, maybe remove the period after purple in "get purple."?

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:17 am    Post subject:

it sounds like maybe you haven't enabled it because you'd at least see a response and know what to fix if your problem was a typo in the response text. so maybe try this:

open All Configuration (alt+enter), then go to Triggers.
    check the box "Enable Triggers"
    click Add...
    type your trigger text in Trigger box
    type your response text in Send box
    make sure Enabled is checked
    make sure Send to: is going to where you want it to go (I usually use World)
    if you want to put it in a group you can type a name in Group:
    click OK to add. you should now see it under your group or under "ungrouped" in your triggers list.
    test your trigger to see if it works.

0 0 0
Kalist19
Emissary

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:37 am    Post subject:

For a lot of stuff you have to click that 'regular expression' box on the right.

0 0 0
turningpoint

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:43 pm    Post subject:

First of all I'd just like to thank you guys for your feedback/replies so far. I've been around since 2004 on/off. Not counting my current character I've probably only played about 300 hours over the years. I never knew there was a such a sense of community here and am glad i finally reached out. Back in 2006 I tried MUSHclient and couldn't get the triggers to work. To this day I've still never posted a log. This no doubt has been a roadblock in my AR career.

0 0 0
turningpoint

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:46 pm    Post subject:

Triggers are still not working. For testing now Im in the academy of learning. This is what I see in the room

"[Exits: north east]
A tree root pierces through a tattered bit of parchment here."

As a test lets say I want to have "who" sent whenever i see the tree here. I go to config and under triggers i've already made sure the enable triggers box is checked, so then i click add and here are the parameters:

- trigger "a tree root pierces'
- send "who"
- enabled check (no other boxes below this checked)
- send to world
- sequence 100
-copy wildcard none (the rest of the settings i left blank)

I've tried regular expression also. No luck, no response. Just nothing.
Please keep in mind I know little to nothing about coding, so if there's something along that way that seems like common sense I probably messed it up. Thanks

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:21 pm    Post subject:

its caps sensitive, try A tree root?

0 0 0
turningpoint

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:38 pm    Post subject:

Just tried with "A tree root"
Even tried with just "A"

Still nothing. Maybe i should just try a different client, but after all these years i'd like to finally solve this lol

0 0 0
Kalist19
Emissary

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:32 pm    Post subject:

I use mushclient too! It’s a bit finicky and maybe not as pretty or flashy as other clients but any time I try a different client I feel like I’m playing a different game.

I’ll try out the exact same trigger you’re working on when I’m able and I’ll see if I can figure out.

AR is the best community around! There’s even a discord server!

0 0 0
dead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:07 am    Post subject:

I also recently gave up Zmud. I landed on Mudlet and am quite happy with how well it works. Not as easy as Zmud, but so far seems just as powerful if not more.

0 0 0
turningpoint

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:05 am    Post subject:

I know what you mean about it seeming like a whole different game! Funny thing is I took the advice about trying Mudlet and figured out how to make a trigger really fast. However, it just looks so different that I might have to keep trying to figure out MUSHclient or figure out how to change the prompt on Mudlet; those three color boxes might take some getting used to.

0 0 0
turningpoint

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:16 am    Post subject:

In case anyone else has any problems with MUSHclient starting out...I found the fix, but I swear i tried this before and after this was suggested to me. My issue was checking the regular expression box, which again i tried before but it didnt work. This is not to be confused with the convert to regular expression option under the trigger box; DON'T click there, but DO check the regular expression box. Thanks for the support guys.

0 0 0
Kalist19
Emissary

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:17 am    Post subject:

Just a tip! If you're making aliases in mushclient do NOT click that regular expression box.

If you DO click it and have an alias for

slo = c slow self

Every time you type a word with 'slo' in it you will execute the alias.

If your character says 'Resatimm loves slow, sloppy, slobbery kisses.'

You would have just slowed yourself three times! Hope you weren't fighting..

0 0 0
dead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:18 am    Post subject:

Dav has implemented many things that autoload into Mudlet. The graphical map works for the Academy only and is fine for that but I don't use a graphical mapper anyways so I always turn it off. The prompt map works good for what I need and that is provided in its own window. The HP/MANA/MV bars works fine, and I have devised a AFFECTS window right above the map. I feel the mudlet support is amazing and saw a post about an affects window now too. But I have been too busy to login and see it. All Hail Dav!

1 0 0
Ashlyn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:26 am    Post subject:

I also use Mushclient. I try not to set triggers though because people will learn about them and exploit them to lag you out. Macros and Aliases are the way to go. Also im probably not the one to take advice from because I do 99.99% of things manually.

0 0 0
turningpoint

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:32 pm    Post subject:

Im liking mudlet, but does anyone know how to get rid of the hp/mana/move
in those colored bars at the bottom? its looks interesting, but distracting at the same time.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:18 am    Post subject:

for that mudlet question, typing in "lua bottom_container:hide()" would be the most trivial way..
or maybe lua hpbar:hide() , lua manabar:hide() , lua movebar:hide() incase you wanted to still keep the exp bar.

Its all around line 64-ish of the armudletgui's layout_script file. the proper way to remove it would be to just comment it out completely in there and change setBorderBottom to something else. might have to also disable the gmcp_vitals script. this isnt too difficult. i also used stylesheets so you can make it look however you want with just css changes

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Newbie Q/A All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: