Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 8 hours.

Druid shields

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rothak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:07 pm    Post subject: Druid shields

So, I was sitting ere thinking (a rare occasion), and I thought why are there so few druids? Are they too complicated? Maybe. Are people just not that interested? Maybe. OR, is it thet they don't have a proper shield disarm ability/spell such as a healer's spirit shield or shaman's shrunken head! DING DING DING. Anyway, sorry for that, but I was thinking that people don't play druids because they can easily lose a shield when fighting most opponents as a good amount have shield disarm. So, what if druids got a spell where if the shield is made of wood (druid theme) it starts to grow roots into the druid's arm, preventing a successful shield disarm or something of that nature (pun intended).

0 0 0
Rothak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:14 pm    Post subject:

Also on the topic of Druid's, there was a patch put out some time ago that affected specific spells, afflictive, mental, maledictive where certain raises were buffed (Drow afflictive, Quasit maledictive) and others faced penalties (dwarf/duergar afflictive, giant/minotaur mental, Halfling maledictive). Since druids are 2 of the races available to druid, can they not be affected by this as a druid is essentially an afflictive cleric?

0 0 0
Solmundi
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:38 am    Post subject:

Interesting idea, too specific as to why people don't play a class, however. I haven't kept up with druids as much as I would like, but I remember thinking they leaned heavily along with necromancers when it comes to grinding gear/stats to victory and how many necros have you seen lately?

I'm not saying it's a problem, just the current culture.

0 0 0
Andrael

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:46 am    Post subject:

I feel like druids, having a special staff, should also benefit from staff block instead of healers and one oath of paladins keeping it for themselves.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:58 am    Post subject:

What do you mean by "instead of healers" exactly? You think healers should lose staff block?

0 0 0
Andrael

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:10 am    Post subject:

more so sharing knowledge?

0 0 0
Andrael

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:11 am    Post subject:

Also, can't a healer use a staff while also having spirit shield active? Giving them access to parry, staff block and shield block? I haven't had a healer at max in a long time.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:05 am    Post subject:

First of all I think staff/shield on healer seemsfine considering invokers literally just throw up barrier and solo winter with AOE and slow, although maybe i sound a bit salty as I say that? I'm pretty tired of being jealous of it. Like the playerbase is low I guess but fuck you invoker players and the horse you rode in on. (Hope you arent playing one because I didnt mean that personally! Its just looking at that class while playing an illusionist is a cause for immense jelly. ) I am thinking druids are likely already in fine shape to also solo winter - another fine mess - so I dont want to add staff block onto that. Monks probably also solo winter streaming massacres at the mobs. I mean lets just cut to the chase on this. Soloing winter is cheese, but nobody can accuse a healer of helping out much on winter runs. Theyre just not that useful, they're good support in a game that I dont think needs them as much as they used to, due to barrier tanking and monk self-heal tanking (which works great if your mobs arent bashing and tripping). they're not just jumping into groups like they used to, theyre having to solo and with that 'offense' they have, its very slow, and at the end of the day, I'd rather be grinding for forged gear with something faster. and I do not see healers soloing winter with divine ret. They'll solo almost any mob with six hours to do it, but I'd rather use an invoker. Therefore, staff block is very much appreciated, I am sure.. and also, prudence is not a strong as weapon ward, plenty shit can get through prudence so that is pretty fuckin helpful for healers. I would venture so far as to say I am not sure healers are a fun class without staff block. They have an interesting niche of being able to tank mobs so that the warrior can dual wield and dirt kick away without getting bashed and dirt kicked. As for spirit shield... I dunno man. I dont think having a staff/shield on a healer is terribly powerful without enhanced damage, its not like you are going to just ANNIHILATE a necromancer with your healer staff

Druids on the other hand, have better offensive spells than healers, better heals than healers, better weapon than healers (they can enchant staff to change the type and damage), they have better maledictives and an additional advantage of your opponent having no idea about any of your spells. hah. only disadvantage you can possibly call on druid is that they cannot wear metals or use protection spell and that meansa mitigation /damroll hit (especially on being able to forge gear), though I think that won't stay that way with their players pushing for more druid sets to be added, probably of the hit/dam nature. So I think no. No fuckin' way do druids get staff block, or a wood set that is basically titanium tenor except just for druids, with might of oaks to cover both bash and trip together.

Also, the general feedback I feel I was getting from druids is that players want them doing more offense... more tornado.. more damage.. thats fine but if they're keeping excellent heals then they should defintely stay low defense. AND, eventually, we'll probably have to convert some high damroll equipment to leather. Forged gear is going to stay but thats leaves us with at least 6 other slots that do not have to be fuckin 18 AC steel pants with 4 hitroll on them.

I wrote that all fast so apologize if it sounded ranty, but serioufsly fuck staff block on druids, terrible. and rothak dont they have brambles for weapon ward?

0 0 0
Andrael

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:50 pm    Post subject:

It didn't feel like a rant. It felt like you have some personal beef with some classes, which I understand. I've played several high level invokers and I too think they are broken. But this was before the shield change, so not sure how they roll now.

With how you laid out everything that druids have, it makes sense that they don't get staff block. I suppose I was just being a bit short sighted on that. Also, I would not want a titanium tenor esque set for druids.

I'd be happy just to use ironwood on plant made material instead of just 'wood' considering how little wood items there are to use it on outside of the living wood and dark oak stuff, however I feel that could be too strong as well, and it really just seems to make the wood go further into the 'late game' for druids until they start gaining the upper tier stuff that got made into wood.

0 0 0
dead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:17 pm    Post subject:

"I'd be happy just to use ironwood on plant made material instead of just 'wood'"

Pretty sure can ironwood the vine/plant random items from Escismir.

0 0 0
Andrael

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:25 pm    Post subject:

I think last I told a druid that, they couldn't. But that was back during summer.

0 0 0
Thorgoth
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:48 am    Post subject:

Brambles “can” block shield disarm but most often it doesn’t. It’s not identical to weapon ward in that weapon ward ALWAYS block disarm/shield disarm and brambles doesn’t, plus after so many times of getting “tangled” in the brambles they fall off and don’t block at all until it wears off and you can recast it.

I think overall Druids are pretty solid they just have a learning curve and some of their spells are really high mana costs for little gain. The metal armor thing is kinda meh to me, once you hit 50 there is plenty of gambled/unique/rare eq you can get - people just have to think outside their normal spiked light or tenors combo box.

Being able to change your weapon type on the shillegh is pretty cool but I’ve always thought it was dumb that the sprig was an exotic instead of being flail / whip which are skills druids get. If they have those skills they should know how to reform the shillegh into each type of weapon they know.

Also some of the brandishing is broken last I checked - for example you can’t do more than one Lightning charge brandish without it always failing, same for a handful of other combinations. I made an exhaustive list of anyone is interested and has the time to fix.

Oh and how do you get winters wrath to disarm? I remember spamming this spell constantly on people just to test and could never figure it out.

0 0 0
Andrael

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:02 am    Post subject:

Thorgoth, the Winter's Wrath might require you to 'drench' the target first. I don't know there are a bunch of odd interactions that makes druids have a steep learning curve and most of them are figure it out.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:50 am    Post subject:

send the list

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:58 pm    Post subject:

Andrael:
quote wrote:
Winter's Wrath might require you to 'drench' the target first. I don't know there are a bunch of odd interactions that makes druids have a steep learning curve and most of them are figure it out.

Actually.... I think this might be getting overthought a bit. Case in point, water. (drenched) If you hit someone covered in water with heat, you dry them off (fire annihilates water) but if you hit them with a lightning bolt, it has an amplifying affect. I'm sure we all know not to mix electricity and water. And some of the spells, I think tempest, requires a source of water like a well. There was a flash flood spell to generate one. Its not intended to be difficult to figure out, and we could evaluate each confusing interaction on a case by case basis.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: