Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 6 hours.

Useless spells/skills?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rothak

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 12:17 pm    Post subject: Useless spells/skills?

So, here I am thinking that I would love to master magic missile... wait, I never practice it... ever. What if, for skills/spells we don't practice at all (obviously based off of player) you can permanently remove the skill/spell for 1 practice each skill/spell. That way you don't need to bother seeing those 1% every time and you get a slight bonus to maybe one of your other skills/spells by being able to use an additional practice.

0 0 0
Mogu

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 1:21 pm    Post subject:

I would rather see the skill/spell tweaked in some way to make it useful in some way instead of just removing unused spells.

0 0 0
Rothak

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 1:34 pm    Post subject:

Well, there are some pretty useless spells. For example, I roll an evil mage or shaman or DKN, I get the wonderful 'detect good' spell. I don't give a flying F about that spell cuz I'm evil and I'll kill (or attempt to) everyone and anyone. So them being. good doesn't mean jack all to me. Maybe it'll be useful for a goodie to see what mobs they can/can't fight. I'm just saying there's some pretty useless things out there.

0 0 0
Kedaleam
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 9:47 pm    Post subject:

Magic missile is perfect nowadays with that automercy going on. You can kill them nice and easy with that and have their corpse be all sad and colorful.

0 0 0
Andrael

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 10:29 pm    Post subject:

I remember when magic missile was an illu spell, invokers got burning hands and necro had chill touch.

Now, magic missile is useful in a very niche use. Use magic missile to build affliction then use your elemental spell to shatter the resistance. And also the automercy left over corpse for giggles

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 7:19 pm    Post subject:

So for detect good, that looks to me like a mistaken play on the paladin/dark-knight anti-symmetry. One for the chopping block.

It might be interesting if instead of that stone-faced thing which only paladins have, you do the zoolander magnum look. Potentially infects your opponents with a jealousy curse so they'll end up attacking each other. "abyssal gaze"

0 0 0
Scrynor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:23 am    Post subject:

This might be a radical opinion but I wish all skills and spells just came at 75% and the number of practices by race were tuned down to just give the desired extra stat training flexibility.

With the current state of the game it seems like all elite PKers 1 prac and skip useless skills for more hp or mp anyway. It just feels to me like that is a weird learning curve to climb for newbies and stifles innovation and play testing for vets when changes happen.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:44 am    Post subject:

I kind of like that practice management. And also, the best dont have to 1 prac. If you lose a fight by 10 hp you deserve it anyway.

0 0 0
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:04 pm    Post subject:

I have never taken a 1 prac character to 50. (Except for classes that learn 73%+ on the first practice.)

0 0 0
lionSpyre

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:01 pm    Post subject:

I've only ever done it with warrior and monk, and the difference is stark. For warrior, 1-prac gets you 50hp. That definitely makes a difference. For monk, it may be closer to 70hp.

And seeing Kryton's logs with over 1K hp, that man definitely 1-prac'd.

0 0 0
Kalist19
Emissary

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:30 am    Post subject:

Here’s a few things I can think of that either I never prac or I think others might. Just a list off the top of my head.

I never used to 1 prac (I was such a doofus I’d even 2 prac stuff like armor and detect invis) but for the past year or so I’ve found there’s lots of down time while waiting for groups so I do 1 prac now. I’ve fled from tons of fights with 1-9 hp and get away, rest up, then come back and kill the enemy. I think every hp counts but I still def don’t have the patience to 1 prac a fire (mine have all been 2-3 prac).

Continual light - many classes have this and it’s a practice trap for noobs because a vet would never p this. Maybe give the light 1 hit 1 dam? Or give it 1 str 1 int 1 wis 1 dex 1 con? Idk not something awesome but also not something completely useless?

Detect evil and good is useless but seeing the colourful aura is really cool - would be neat if it also gave you some minor bonus like maybe 10 or 20 ac (it’s a self cast only so it’d just be a wee perk for those classes).

Cause serious cause critical - never prac it. Shares a cd with harm so what is the point? If it had separate cd from harm it would be worthwhile.

Demonic visage - lol, no. Would be neat if it had a good chance of working and then if it did work it caused the thing where enemy can’t swap weapons for a tic (ie when you swap weapons now there is a tiny cd - add that to dv and make last a tic).

Invis on necro - just remove it. Newbie trap. I just wait until I can prac mass invis for convenience.

Razor strings - hard pass, tried this a lot on ppl with my elf ill, was useless even if no dupes (it landed a lot but didn’t lag or do any notable damage). Cool idea maybe just needs to be tweaked so it does something.

Misty mirage - from helpfile looks like it is just there to help vamps? I never practice on ill or druid. Would be neat if it stuck on one room and boosted mana regen for that room or something.

Infravision - not super helpful but I sometimes sink 1 p because it’s easy to master and I’m old enough to remember what happens if you’re blackjacked in shadow grove and have light pried and have no infravision.

Create water - I actually do 1 prac this bc you never know when you’re gonna end up deep in winter and everyone is outta water (on paladin). On other classes with spring I still p this bc ppl can locate your spring so I don’t make them if I don’t want ppl easily finding me or the group.

Detect poison - what? Who would ever p this? Newbie trap and idk how to make it better other than maybe make you immune to poison (self cast only) or let you cast it on others and instead of detect poison it gives them like a spellwither effect specifically for poison so it goes away very fast?

Lash - as a zerker 99% of the time I’ve got something better to do than attempt a lash. Would be cool if had small chance to proc automatically when raged maybe

Windmill cleave on zerker - nope this is redundant with thunder clash. I don’t prac windmill on zerk

Scout - nope, last I tried (loooong time ago) couldn’t scout all, and I think it had a bit of lag? Also I find current scan I can use really effectively even for tracking in areas with tons of mobs. Getting more info with a scout all might slow down the speed at which I figure out where my enemy is so I still wouldn’t use this

Create flame or whatever that druid spell is - basically like infravision, maybe worth a giggle but it’d be cool if there was some interplay with fire oath or fire spells and this

Magic missile - I actually do usually p this bc I think it’d be hilarious to actually pk someone with it.

0 0 0
BlackWidow

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:29 pm    Post subject:

Demonic visage is actually quite potent against noob eradicators... They rush in, cast wrath, you respond with demonic visage and then you can sacrifice their weapon, leaving them defenseless (or at least without fencing) for a little while.

0 0 0
Kornhole

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:24 pm    Post subject:

Kalist - FYI produce flame is what leads to druid pets. The flame turns into whatever pet when the druid brandishes with appropriate charges. More useful by far than "Ode to Stryth" IMHO

0 0 0
Kalist19
Emissary

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:30 pm    Post subject:

Yeah sorry it used to do nothing but now it’s great, I should have edited list. It also does an auto attack. Thx for pointing out!

Also Misty mirage now does something for ills after the Oct patch.

0 0 0
BlackWidow

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:12 pm    Post subject:

As for cause serious and cause critical sharing a cooldown with harm, sort of. UNTIL you cast harm, you can cast all the others freely (though there is a lesser cooldown for cause critical). You can always cast cause serious unless you've cast harm. These three spells combined with cause continual are a way to deal with somebody who puts on a shitload of saves without having to kick them to death.

0 0 0
Kalist19
Emissary

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:06 pm    Post subject:

Yeah nah I’m still not gonna prac anything that stops me from using harm. Gotta have that locked and loaded for when you need it.

Re cause serious - how much damage it do through sanc? Decimates? If same as kick I’d just kick…

0 0 0
Andrael

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:50 am    Post subject:

With the illu changes, misty mirage is gonna be needed to pk with effigies, if the new help file for duplicate is to be believed

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: