Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 14 hours.

random surges
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
calcio109

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject:

[quote="trance_monkey"]Random surges would be cool.

That said, stfu pussies. There never even used to be surges at all. A lot of people don't even rank outside of surge anymore. Take the training diapers off for christ's sake.

That's exactly what this game needs. More times for people to just log on, hunt and log off. Surge wasn't created to increase the playerbase, and if anything it would probably be dwindling it post-surge and non-surge days.

Anything worth having is not easy, so just go rank and don't worry about bonuses to anything.

Too many bonuses = no 'bonus' after a while.

Your happiness and joy from your character should not be dependent on these things.[/quote]

i think you're missing the point here - you're right that you already see this "phenomenon" where people log on for surge then log off - but that's a product of the existing surge format and that's exactly what random surges are suppose to try and curb. if at any time of the day, you could have a surge, people would have an incentive for sticking around or logging on more frequently. if i had my way, all surges would be random, but i understand the need to have periodic and schedules surges for those people that depend on them because they legitimately don't have all the time in the world. that's why i proposed random surges that COMPLIMENT the scheduled ones

0 0 0
beia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject:

+ It should not be all about experence, you can be lv 50 with all crappy skills and suck, I like to take my time and rank slow to get a better grasp on my charector, but for instance, you are just ranking with a couple other people and all of the sudden, the skies light up and the surge is apon us. that would be cool, not expecting it, but I dont think it would add to the player base...

0 0 0
marsd

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject:

Random surges suck in my opinion. Nothing more worthless than waiting the whole day for a surge to happen, which might never happen that day. Besides, how shit it would be if you were the only guy on, considering you're a mage or someone who can't tank, and a surge hits while you're powerless to do shit about it.

How about you're a caballed char, and your item got captured by some other warring cabal, and they have 4 people on - 3 that's getting their asses off to rank and 1's preventing you from gaining your item back. Not only they get a random surge, they also get exp bonus because they have your item. Shitty deal isn't it?

How about you see a person you really hate but he pwns you all the time even when he's 2 levels down. A surge hits and he miraculously gets a free group and ranks 3 levels above you while you have to sit on your own thumb cursing at your inability. Now that he can pwn you even easier... you should just delete;delete?

I'd rather lose all my 61 lives at 50, than lose 1 life below 50 even if I were to be crappy with shit skills and suck. Doesn't it always miffs you when you die stupid deaths to people or mobs where you can't do a shit about it? Why not find a group that you can rely on so that you can get to 50 with them and trash it out with the rest of the 50s rather than fighting someone 8 ranks down? Besides, what's so great about what... spiked garde armor, when you can get titanium fullplate? Or an onyx bracelet when you can get frostburned bracelets.

Besides, the best gambled/forged armor can easily get you +4 hit or dam eq without penalties with enough effort & time invested. Red dragon's worthed shit compared to those.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject:

Honestly, the runed blade is already there to provide what you wanted. It exists for no other reason than to provide random mini-surges all the time. I saw this need long ago. But because only one person can wield at a time, it isn't 200%, because trust me, your group would get super jealous and want to pk you over getting that first. I was originally looking at 50% on the runed blade, and I felt it would still be too high to avoid this, so I decided to err on the side of caution, and lowballed it to a minimum I could ignore myself.

I don't see a need to introduce random 1 hr or 2 hr surges. But I am not opposed to raising the exp on the runed blade more significantly, since I did lowball the initial figure.

Along with that, I will provide some more comprehensive exp bonuses throughout the quest system (it'll be completing certain quests = exp spell, training spell, whatever), and hopefully that should satisfy your exp needs for now and the future. Nobody wants to waste surge time questing, so I feel this will be a good move.

0 0 0
calcio109

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:25 am    Post subject:

yeah, raising the xp bonus on the blade would be nice, i know i've never bothered with it myself as it is now.

one thought: what if only the highest lvl char in the group could use the blade (lvl 50's not included), thereby reducing intergroup stress about who gets the blade since the lower lvls are getting more xp from the mobs to begin (with perhaps the highest level being the tank and sacrificing some of him/herself for the sake of the rest of the group). though you'd have to code in a way for the higher lvl to give up his right to the blade if they so choose. i don't know, could have other pitfalls, but just a thought

Last edited by calcio109 on Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:33 am; edited 1 time in total

0 0 0
calcio109

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:32 am    Post subject:

one other comment, i never suggested frequent random surges that were an hour in length, let alone 2 hour random surges. the idea in my head was to provide random mini surges (15-30min) that were a sort of reward for those people already logged on and putting in the time (the more you're on, the more chances you have at finding a storm), and that would hopefully in turn encourage those people who only like to make appearances during scheduled surges, to pop in more often

it still makes rp sense too, some storms you can see coming and are predictable, others just sneak up on you

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject:

Actually, high level characters get more exp from having low rank tagalongs, while the lowbies are penalised. For example, if you were level 8 on happy farmers, with 2 level 1s, you'd probably get 900+xp without a surge to help. Whereas the level 1's would likely get nothing.

If you think about it you probably noticed this a lot already and just shrugged or something.

0 0 0
calcio109

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:38 am    Post subject:

yeah, never experienced anything as extreme as your example to make it obvious, but i suppose i had just chalked it up to the randomness of it all. that's good then

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: