Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 1 hour.

citizens' quests

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
calcio109

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: citizens' quests

second thread of my "how to get more people on AR" symposium:

i've only been playing 2-3 months since i stopped about 7 years ago, but what i haven't seen thus far, and what i think might bring the "theran community" a little closer together are massive temporary quests that require the coordination of a large group of people. what do i mean?

well, i can remember from back in the day an instance where some type of spider queen (or something like that - my memory is sketchy) invaded seringale. her reasons were obviously hidden from mortals, and as far as we knew (rp wise) she just needed to be taken care of - it took a large group of 50's to take her down.

another example: recently, while browsing another MUD, the spellcasters (not clerics) of the land were suffering from a mysterious illness that caused them to the shiver, lose health/mana, and occasionally get poisoned. i didn't stick around long enough to see what eventually became of that, but if you follow my line of thinking, you could imagine a similar "quest" on AR that would require the mages of the land to discover the nature of their illness and rid the land of whatever was causing it.

things like these could add a deeper more complex level of realism to the world of AR, where things happens apart from the bore and drone of knights vs. legion, and present unique rp opportunities for individuals.

i realize these are probably time consuming things to plan out and implement, but time is being spent on something, why not this as well?

0 0 0
Kedaleam
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: citizens' quests

calcio109 wrote:

well, i can remember from back in the day an instance where some type of spider queen (or something like that - my memory is sketchy) invaded seringale. her reasons were obviously hidden from mortals, and as far as we knew (rp wise) she just needed to be taken care of - it took a large group of 50's to take her down.

We actually had a 'chaos monkey' come around just a couple months ago... It was pretty exciting and all. And I remember kinda recently Dav was sitting at NS bringing random mobs in and attacking all the 50's and such. These things do happen at random times...

As for the whole theran wide quest... Umm, a Herald could basically do this at anytime. The problem is, when they set them up, no one wants to participate.

0 0 0
calcio109

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: citizens' quests

[quote="Rayor"][quote="calcio109"]

[/quote]

We actually had a 'chaos monkey' come around just a couple months ago... It was pretty exciting and all. And I remember kinda recently Dav was sitting at NS bringing random mobs in and attacking all the 50's and such. These things do happen at random times...

As for the whole theran wide quest... Umm, a Herald could basically do this at anytime. The problem is, when they set them up, no one wants to participate.[/quote]

too bad i missed the chaos monkey. my point was a little more subtle and not clearly conveyed: the one thing i do remember specifically about that mob invading seringale was that just about EVERYONE was on for that, and if they weren't, they somehow found their way to a terminal and got on. i remember sharing a computer with a roommate freshman year of college when that happened, and it was absolute torture to the other that couldn't get on his char while this was going on. that's the kind of response from the community you hope to get with something like this.

about the herald quests, i'm referring to something a little more hard coded. the big deal about this mysterious illness in the other MUD was that it was pervasive, directly affected all mage classes, and was something that would continue until they decided to put an end to it. it wasn't just something else to do if bored, but rather imperative that they sought out the source of the illness as soon as possible

0 0 0
beia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject:

I think quests in Winter if any would take a whole group, depending on what you have to do, I remember going to winter with three lv 50s I was a lv 47 pal. and we had a lv 50 healer and a lv 50 ranger and a lv 50 barb. and we all had to recall because it was still to hard at some points... when we were doing good, we had to rest after every four or five fights I belive, so.. I think the quests are better to do with other people any way most of the time, someone just follows along and gets a lot of quests done...

0 0 0
marsd

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject:

Why am I so damned tempted to say something utterly mean to some people that they probably wouldn't understand it anyway...

Beia - there's already such quests that requires a group.
calcio109 - don't quote people if you don't know how to... or just use that little quote button on top of the posting textarea..

0 0 0
beia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject:

I know I just said that.

0 0 0
calcio109

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject:

scratch...i am using the quote button

i could see it wasn't displaying a quote bubble, but i just figured it was because they were my posts. something else is afoot here

0 0 0
Erlwith

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject:

I think that more realm events (by both staff and heralds) would help to attract more players. Heralds should give better rewards, and make their 'events' more intricate and expansive.

I've never seen any events that staff have run myself, and while that doesn't mean they don't have them I know, if I seem to miss all of them it's safe to say a good majority of other players do as well.

Think of it, the more world-wide staff run events, the more interesting things will be for players, and the more that will log in, and stay logged in, and the more logged in, the more want to log in. (It's fun being around with 30 players, vs 10 or 15), etc. I'm sure you catch my drift.

I know how staff want this to be a player run MUD, but it's deffinetly more fun when staff get involved.

0 0 0
Xazappith
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject:

Um, aren't there usually mud-wide Imm run quests around the holidays? I remember fighting an evil Santa or something...first you had to kill the deer, then Santa himself?

I think AR is too PK intensive to have something like that illness that would really impair one class. Everyone playing a mage would complain that they're getting PKed because they got gimped by the disease, it would have to be something that affected everyone, or something that wouldn't interfere with PK...like their text comes out in a different color or something. Shrug.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:57 am    Post subject:

Its not that I don't like the idea of this any less than you do. I just don't have the energy to spare, sorry. It's why I gave heralds the tools to put their own together. Tons of work done on quest system too. There's plenty of stuff there that I know hasn't all been done two billion times.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:03 am    Post subject:

So...

Quote:

To: all
Lore tells that the abhorrent demon Zaikkra was summoned from the Underworld
into Thera by a group of evil mages known as the Mystics. When the Mystics
summoned this psychopath, little did they know that he would eventually imprison
them all in the Underworld while he set about his own conquest of Thera.

A long struggle against the armies of the abyss resulted in the decimation of
Thera, much evil has flowed into Thera since then. Fortunately this influx has
been stopped. However, this demon still lurks within Thera, in a place of safety
none yet know. Here he cackles with delight as he brings great ills upon mortal
skills and spells, using the power of the stolen Mystic's Ancient Globe of the
Arcane, which he guards jealously.

The only way to begin banishing this terror now, naturally, is to summon him again,
precisely as the Mystics once did thinking it would be their salvation. This
time, it will be for his beheading. However, this is no longer an easy task.
Zaikkra has foreseen this outcome long ago, and his strongest abyss-spawned
servants now protect the seven soulstones that made the summoning circle. Along
with the mightiest of demons, Sheundan and Xymeria to undead terrors such as Xanthak
and Shycerusk, he has ensured his dominion over this realm.

The fate of Mystics hangs in the balance. Will you refuse to forgive and help evils
to obtain the soulstones for their own selfish ambitions? Or will you help the Light,
restore the summoning circle, and return the Ancient Globe to where it belongs?

It is your tale to finish, Thera...

Would anybody like to explain why nobody is chomping at the bit?

0 0 0
Stephen2_Aust

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:32 am    Post subject:

Great idea, would love to be involved.

1) Only low 40s level...
2) Not enough 50s in group range at the times I can be on

Domokun Damn it! Domokun

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: