Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Recovering the Lost Arcane Relics" is underway, and ends in 3 days, 16 hours.

Introducing .. racial languages (!)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 9:11 am    Post subject: Introducing .. racial languages (!)

OPTIONAL to use. Racial languages.

To talk in your racial language, use a @ in front of your say command, for example "@say Hi, my name is Bob.". Currently, elvish, common, gnomish, and dwarvish are supported. If you don't have a racial language, it'll just use common. I have made it possible to understand all languages with 24+ int, by default.

To talk in your class language (this applies to casters only), use a # in front of your say, for example, "#say Hi, I'm a banana." This one talks in the draconic language, which we use for spell casting.

We will probably add @gt and #gt at a later date if there is any interest.

1 0 0
Esivole
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject:

This is actually pretty cool. A lot of things change in d&d, for example, when someone can or can't understand a language. rps galore.

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject:

This way a pair of drow can plan to backstab a fire giant right before his eyes!!! Mueahaha.

0 0 0
m1coftw

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject:

haha Davairus, nice job Razz I thought you were kidding on the irc

0 0 0
Arunore

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject:

Agreed, I like this direction a lot. It would be cool to havE a choice to pick 1 language too for certain races, either at creation or whatever rp is demonstrated through background/IC. I know some races get the choice in d&d, not sure how they determine which, maybe int based. but I guess here just get high int to understand them all OR one of your choice? Awesome change though thanks.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 8:17 pm    Post subject:

Well so far I have on list:

* add pixie language (to everyone else, it just sounds like he he hee hee ha ha ha hee), although, was that serious?
* add giant dialect, full of ug's and stuff.
* add illithid + make that use the current dwarvish which is just garble (could be shared with quasit maybe called an "abyssal" or "demonic" language and let shamans in on that action)
* do proper dwarvish syllables instead of current garbale
* figure out if there is a way to seed each word so that it always "randomizes" to same result - probably not
* add a selection in creation for certain races (which?)
* add the @ and # syntax for all channels. will probably be first thing

I just picked high int because I figured it would make things simpler for me, but we should probably think about which races can talk to which this way too (e.g. duergars and giants understand each others language)

Please note: no plans to make this automatic in any way, although might do it for some mobs

0 0 0
m1coftw

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 8:32 pm    Post subject:

Why language selection? Everyone should start out with their racial language at 100% and common 75% and you can learn languages based on your intelligence, almost like training. The more you hear it the more you pick it up.

Put a cap on intelligence for example giants with 15 int can only learn up to 50% of language and understand half of it etc.

High int chars, like 21+ int can eventually learn all languages to 100% that are CLOSE to their native language.

E.g. elves can learn pixie language up to 100% and common to 100% and dwarven up to 100%, but are unable to learn demonic above 50% for example.

Giants are fluent in native tongue, common starts at 75% maxes at 100% (everyone should get 100% common ability) and they can learn languages that are close to them up to 50% with 15int.

and you can change language that you wish to speak ingame, "change language <name>" and you will try to speak that language instead even if its complete shit you will produce gibberish then.

change language:
Common 100
Elvish 80
Pixie 80
Dwarven 75

You pick up languages as you hear them, you only start with common and native language, but if you hear pixies talk you pick it up slowly but with far more rapid rate with high int than with low int.

So you get
Common 100
Elvish 100
Pixie 100
Dwarven 100
Demonic 40

etc.

0 0 0
m1coftw

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 8:35 pm    Post subject:

This will carebears another incentive to achieve/collect something. e.g. master all the languages and shit like that.

You can for example spam around in new dwarven camp west ford and overhear dwarves speak shit and improve your dwarven, puts people to places where common hoarders and grinders wont go, just to learn the language from mobprogs.

0 0 0
Arunore

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 9:32 pm    Post subject:

Sounds like a lot of work, but I like it. I was thinking something like 24-25 INT starts out with native language and common, + 2 of their choice. Giants being the lowest would get significantly less. Having the freedom to master all the languages is pretty nifty though.

I also had an idea about extremely rare tomes that could teach you a language by studying it over time. Study it every so often and proficiency in lore could determine it's rate. You know like an infernal tome of tongues held by Grazz't, but I would make them very rare. Maybe combine that shit Smile

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 9:34 pm    Post subject:

I think we should keep this as simple as possible.

1 language for all good aligned fae races (elves, pixies, etc.) with unique verbalizations for pixies when you don't understand the language
1 language for all demons and devils and "underground evil" races
1 language for all dwarves and duergars and gnomes because they're special
1 language for all giants because they're special

and the class spell language (already implemented)

Am I missing any corner cases?

I agree with m1co that we don't need language selection. The ability to speak languages other than your inherent racial languages should be revisited later (probably with involvement by the big RP coteries)

I think languages should be either you know it or you don't, with no skill proficiency involved. I don't think the int stat should play any part in this.

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 9:57 pm    Post subject:

Maybe a Mystic power for them to understand all languages?

2 0 0
Arunore

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 10:33 pm    Post subject:

Intelligence is just something to go by. A giant is not going to know as much as an elf, and gnomes know more because of them governing such a high wisdom. Gnomes, dwarves, duergars, giants, all speak dwarven. Elves, drows, pixies, other fey, all speak elven. All in addition to common, but shouldn't draconic be reserved for draconians, lizardfolk, dragons?? Furthermore, shouldn't casters be casting in their native tongues?

The whole point of having a selection is simply that. To be able to pick a language and once again help character developement. Granted all races will be limited to a certain group. Some of the more complex languages maybe abyssal and druidic are too complex for giants. Language is not such a big deal in D & D, in fact it's almost always forgotten about, but all we see is what we write here. Just my thoughts.

0 0 0
m1coftw

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 11:08 pm    Post subject:

Casts are not in native languages because the magic school is specialized into a very specific genre. You learn the spells in the language that's in the book and always cast them like that. If you would have a racial spell, then that would be in your racial language.

I don't think it is hard to implement int and language learning if you just copy it from the current skill/spell system.

Same improvement and learning could go for languages, you can maybe even spend practice points on certain linguistic schools to unlock the first basic understanding in order to improve it further during your travels in Serin.
Int would just speed up or slow down the process and make a hard cap on your capacity to comprehend a foreign language.

TL;DR you speak your racial language, common tongue and have a basic knowledge of the languages related to your language closely. Depending on your int you pick up new/other languages and learn them either quickly or slowly to the point that's hardcapped by your int stat. And you are able to switch to a different language on the fly via something like "language" command.

0 0 0
tayyah

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 2:52 am    Post subject:

halflings?

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 3:23 am    Post subject:

We'll just look through the helpfiles and ensure that whatever races say "friendly" would share understanding of their respective languages. Its part of enforcing our own theme, which is like other themes but not a copy

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:27 pm    Post subject:

HELP LANGUAGES helpfile added.

1 0 0
Trojal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:55 pm    Post subject:

"speak" could list the languages you could speak.
"speak elvish" could make all your communications (say, tell, gt) in elvish.

You can even preface it if understood like: "Trojal says in elvish 'I hate you.'"

Is this a democracy

0 0 0
Andrael

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:52 pm    Post subject:

Would half-elves be able to understand and speak elvish?

0 0 0
m1coftw

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:38 pm    Post subject:

I wanna speak trollish.

0 0 0
Andrael

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:43 am    Post subject:

but aren't you already fluent in that m1co?

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Updates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: