Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 3 hours.

Guild banners reward update

View previous topic :: View next topic  

update the guild banners
Yes please.
66%
 66%  [ 8 ]
NOOOOOOOO
33%
 33%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 12

Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Guild banners reward update

Hi all,

I have been considering update the guild reward banner like so.

- using a guild banner will reduce the # of guild points you have incurred by 1
- as you have max of 3 guild points before you cannot amass anymore, this means in one playing session you could use guild banners up to 4 times (actually i think it might be 3-4 times, because using a banner when maxed from the previous day would let you gain the point you missed)
- the guild banner will now last 20 minutes instead of 60 minutes, for a new total of up to 80 minutes.

Pros:
- you can play for shorter amounts without using your entire guild reward.
- you can get your guild point every day with just a 20 minute banner
- its less wearying to 20 minute banner
- 20 minute banner is good for areas you dont spend too much time
- if a group disbands for whatever reason, like a PK, you have some reward you can still use

Potential cons:
- have to remember to place guild banner more often
- i dont know if being able to regain your guild points every day is actually a con, but it is definitely a difference

Thoughts?

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject:

This is an interesting proposition.

The hour long reward tends to keep groups together for the full allotment of time. The incentive is there to play even if you don't necessarily want to play for a full hour, a lot of people will stick it out because ranking with a full group and reward is worth it.

One thing that grinds my gears with the current reward system is the "reward whores" as I think of them. The people who are a broken record asking their groupmates if they have a reward to use. On first thought, I figured this new system would decrease those annoying questions, but might only increase them because of people who use their point early in the day and join groups later in the day.

I wonder how this will affect player behavior. Kind of like the one marshmallow, two marshmallow kid experiment that tested kid's ability to delay gratification.

(1)Theoretically, a group of the same three players could get a 1-hour reward every day. Would this be enough of an incentive for m1co to troll around and powerrank 17 level 50s in a week? Would this be an incentive for players to try to log on more consistently to rank with the same people they have been ranking with?

(2)Will this affect lowbie pk? There's going to be a stronger incentive to rank with people in short bursts as opposed to having down time where you might decide to kill them instead.

(3)I imagine upper tier cabal members will end up saving their rewards and using them to powerrank their lowbies quickly. Since they probably already do that, this system might give the weaker cabals a bit easier time getting their lowbie reinforcements to pinnacle as, once they use their reward, they can get partial rewards the next day.

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:56 am    Post subject:

re: reward whores

maybe we can reword some aspects of the guild reward to reference the banner directly instead of the reward. Going to your guild to get a banner with magic effects that help you train sounds like something that would feasibly exist in AR. The "guild reward" is kind of an OOC concept

This is orthogonal to the OP though

0 0 0
ottif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:21 am    Post subject:

I think the way it is now is fine. It sucks to lose the reward if you have to go or whatever the case may be, but the whole point of the system is to promote activity if you want to have/use a reward and leveling is easy enough. If anything and you want to switch the system up here's my suggestion...

Instead of 30 minutes a day, you put in quests (maybe by level) you do each day that take anywhere from 10-20 minutes and force participants into certain areas (1-10 lightwalkers might find their daily quests in emerald forest). 2 days of quests yields a shorter reward and if you want you can let those rewards stack.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:16 am    Post subject:

ottif do you really want to do the same quests every day like that? I am not sure if you are being serious

2 0 0
Trojal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:43 am    Post subject:

If you had daily quests to do the things that people already do regularly, it wouldn't be so bad.

Example: Daily quest(s) for collecting gyvel potions, purple potions, dust, energy scrolls, planting sanctuary seeds, checking on easy rares, killing golems, etc.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:57 am    Post subject:

This is a good point, though presumably this is already strongly motivated. Maybe these can be cabal quests where whatever you farm is matched by your shopkeepers.

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject:

unlocking stuff at the cabal shop or getting cabal funds by meeting daily/weekly quotas in some kind of quest sounds cool, but I don't know if we have a system we can tie that to right now. Like what kind of thing would you do to progress towards these rewards? I agree gathering purples is already strongly incentivized.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject:

ottif/trojal i just wanted to thank you guys for bringing to my attention an utterly incredible idea. This quest system has been balls for years and i had never given enough honest consideration to putting some aspects of it on repeat. I had it on the way to coded but I couldnt see the value because of the soul crushing dailies on mmos. But just in the process of coding and testing it I can see that this is going to be great, very useful and it really ties everyting together in a very satisfying way. This has relieved me of years of stressing out about what it missed. Thank you both. I cannot put into words my gratitude for this contribution. It will be my #1 priority to get it up and running. Very likely this will also be the tipping point that makes me finally roll a full-time character and play with you guys!

0 0 0
jaran
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject:

Sweet! Does that mean we can pk you now? Asking for a friend.

0 0 0
Kedaleam
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject:

I'll never forget doing that once. He then made sure I could never enjoy the character again for the rest of its existence. Ha ha

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject:

Pfft, as if! You make it sound like I took it so personally, when it was really you that did. I was massacring ALL of the Knights because my character was given a reason to have a grudge against them. All I wanted to do before that was sit on my lazy ass in Seringale eating donuts. You made that character into a monster! Good gank though.

0 0 0
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject:

What character was that?

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: