Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 9 hours.

Item Weight Audit

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:29 pm    Post subject: Item Weight Audit

Auditing the weight of our game's objects is something Davairus and I have given serious thought over the years and has been on our radar for execution since 2015. I'm happy to announce that, after a TON of research into object sizes and material densities by Davairus and historical arms and armor classifications of the Middle Ages and Early Modern Period by myself, this is now underway.

Skip this paragraph if you're easily bored, but I was absolutely astounded by the sheer amount of bad/incorrect information that is out there about arms and armor. I've identified Mark Twain's A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court as one culprit. Twain's work is obviously a satire, but the image of knights being hoisted onto horses with cranes is one that stuck in the public mind at the turn of the century. Sir Laurence Olivier's 1944 Henry V movie used that same image of overburdened knights needing to be hoisted into their saddles and perpetuated the ridiculous myth that now undermines the weight aspect of arms and armor in tv, movies, tabletop games, and video games, among other things.

The project has a few clear goals with item weights, which I'll offer here along with some other notes that will guide this audit:

- Bring item weights, particularly weapons and armors, to a more realistic level.
- Minimize disruption to the current primary/offhand weapon and paladin/dark-knight holy armor economies.
- Update stats of duplicate/irrelevant items to be more useful.

This audit is going to lower the weight of a LOT of items in the game. Obviously, this is a fantasy game and some stuff is made for giants. That will still be the case and those items' weights will reflect that, but we will be able to do a MUCH better job maintaining realistic item weights now that we don't need to balance new items around broken weight items. I expect the most noticeable thing you will see with this is more dual wield combos available than we had before.

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:27 am    Post subject:

Halfling warrior pwnage?

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:10 am    Post subject:

Halfling has had 18 str for a little while now, so they're actually already able to wield the same weapons as gnomes. If anything, this will open up new creative possibilities for quasit and pixie abilities and/or equipment down the line due to their size being tiny.

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:16 am    Post subject:

Halflings have been on par with GNOMES?!? The horror!

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:45 pm    Post subject:

This kind of update would normally freak me out but I have a lot of confidence in our ability to get it right.

I've been thinking about modifying liquid storage a little bit, but I don't think I'll get to it till q4. When I get into it I'll make sure to sync that to the larger effort to fix item weights.

I can see this being useful for lairs too, I should really help audit the weight and "can pick up" status of furniture

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Updates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: