Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 2 hours.

Things we want with Lairs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Past Balance Patch Thread Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:12 pm    Post subject: Things we want with Lairs

What would you all like to see with the lairs? We've got a couple of open issues that are already asking for:

A way to recover a lost key for your lair.
A way to break into a locked lair.

What else?

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:17 pm    Post subject:

I want to be able to have a tea party in a lair.

To do this we'll need to make a cabinet with dishes that respawn in the cabinet if the dishes are lost or broken. Maybe its contents respawn if the door is closed and reopened.

We'll also need a wood burning stove that you can put a tea pot on. The tea pot will need to be a container that can accept both items and water, so you can put tea inside and boil it. We could reuse this code for cooking later, so we can make a pot that has water and ingredients for a stew. Also for alchemy, so jewels can be dissolved in a liquid (acid? maybe we just use poison) and the result processed in a distillery.

I have some ideas for how to implement this but I don't have it fully thought out. I was thinking of a new container flag HOLDS_LIQUID that would allow you to pour loose liquid in. Liquids poured into a sack without this flag would just soak through. There's more to think about like how to display the liquid in the container. Maybe we need to define how many ounces a "sip" is or something. And how much a sip weighs. We could ignore the ounces part and just create a unit of measurement called a sip if we want.

I will handle the code changes required for the tea pot to actually boil, and for the tea pot to know whether or not the stove is on.

This doesn't have to make it into the next patch.

0 0 0
Grayden

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:54 pm    Post subject: Weapon and Armor Rack please

I believe it would be cool to decorate a hovel with weapons and armor that are not limited.

The only two problems I forsee are, hovels are not very secure, so potential problem of equiping lower players or people breaking the multiplayer rules, and I believe items laying about can lag the server (if that rumor is true).

A polished katana hangs over the fireplace/doorway or is mounted on the wall (wall hanger maybe)

For armor rack I was thinking you give the item to the rack and it looks somewhat like a person, you could even do rings or floating just for fun.

Head <nothing>
Torso Elven chainmail
Ect.

Or

Light Fist full of burning embers
Ring Dwarven signet ring
Ring <nothing>
Head Dwarven helm
Torso Dwarven platemail
Ect.

Weapon rack I was thinking like a list and desc like,

Weapons are slotted in this rack left to right.
-globin shortsword
-claymore
-spiked halberd
<empty>
<empty>

Or maybe custom rugs. A red and gold prayer rug is here with a mural of a dwarf putting hot metal into a steaming stone pool.

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:48 pm    Post subject:

hmmm

There is another problem. When the game crashes, anything in a lair would be lost except for objects that are deployed. So if you deployed a container and put a sword in it, the sword would be gone.

It would be possible to allow you to deploy weapons and armor, that would survive crashes but then only the lair owner would be able to collect them again. They wouldn't be able to be stolen. On a crash, the item would reset to the default stats it has (enchantments and curses or sharpening and forging would be wiped out).

It wouldn't be easy to allow for placing objects inside other objects that would survive a crash.

Items lying around will, however, not lag the server.

Rugs are a great idea, I don't think there would be any problems with adding some rugs. It would be cool if there was a rug that you could meditate on. Or maybe a "Welcome" mat. And an "Unwelcome" mat

0 0 0
Grayden

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:26 pm    Post subject:

Now I need a welcome mat that reads 'Get Lost'.

I actually like the idea of deploying the items. As decorative pieces they should not be enchanted and no worries of items going to other players is ideal.

My idea is not storage for back up armor or a place to hold more weapons because your inventories full. Sure these would be usable pieces if you collect them, but the idea is for decor.

Getting an outfit from your guild should be a better option then collecting the axe over your doorway, but I do like the idea of collecting that axe in a time of need. Maybe to complament that outfit. I also want to stress that rares should be excluded.

0 0 0
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:26 am    Post subject:

Can't you type your own descriptions for things inside your lair? If you can't this is the solution. If you want armor racks with gleaming armor etc, just put it in the description.

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject:

If we add a guardian mob to help prevent break-ins, I'd like to be able to post a list of clubhouse members on the wall inside my lair just like I did to keep my sister out when I was 8. The lair guardian will ignore players on the list. Combined with the new spare keys, this would give more or less unrestricted access to your lair for anyone you trust.

2 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:15 pm    Post subject:

I think eventually I want to have expandable lairs.

Players would be able to purchase deployable expansions like a hallway addition, a building addition, a yard addition, a barn addition, or an upper floor addition. If the character is in their lair, they can deploy the addition to create another lair inside their lair. If you deploy a yard the lair entrance is a backdoor to the yard, if it's a 2nd floor the entrance is stairs up to the next floor, etc. Every addition regardless of type adds an area with a max of 3 rooms in it.

In order to do that safely we'll need a system to recycle the lairs of deleted characters. I'm thinking of adding a couple area flags, "derelict" and "forsale". Every month during the purge, a lair update is run. All forsale lairs get deleted. All derelict lairs go up for sale. All other lairs belonging to characters deleted in previous purges become derelict. A player can choose to purchase an existing lair at the tax collector in Solace by paying its back taxes, become the owner, and get the key.

When deploying an "inner lair", the description of the lair entrance seen from the overworld (right now there's just the hovel) would be changed depending on how many rooms and what kinds of rooms are in the lair. If a lair has some small additions it would become a house, if it has a lot of additional floors but not many hallways it would become a tower, if it has more hallways than floors it would become a mansion, and if it has over a certain amount of both hallways and floors it'd become a castle.

We'll also need some more stuff to put inside lairs to make all this useful, so I should probably get started on making crafting work so there are things to put in all the rooms.

0 0 0
BlackWidow

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:49 pm    Post subject:

Random idea: can we make traps inside of lairs along the lines of the thief's trip wire (i.e. room targeted), only doing other things? I was remembering a game called Larkinor Quest where a specific "class" of character called the robber specifically would break into other players' homes and steal their belongings, and it was possible for the player in turn to deploy traps which could injure or even kill a robber if he wasn't skilled enough to evade them.

I could particularly see a mage's lair having a trap which either zaps the unfortunate person or drains their mana.

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject:

itching powder traps!
the unlucky robber is doused with some modified pixie dust that causes them not only to leave their very distinctive footprints all over the house but also makes them sneeze/scratch themselves uncontrollably for hours after entry

maybe footprints would persist until owner comes along and cleans house (unless the thoughtful robber brings along a broom) Laughing

1 0 0
kento
Emissary

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:15 pm    Post subject:

I want Lairs to feel more like proper houses and more permanent. I don't know what all this would entail. Maybe making them much more expensive, and maybe making a dedicated area for housing in each city?

0 0 0
BlackWidow

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:19 am    Post subject:

I would like to have lairs able to be purchased after their owner is deleted, or perhaps have them destroyed. I know of at least two lairs which belong to deleted characters which are still present in the realms. One of my characters had a lair which is still open in a certain location... Without a key, it's basically a room without a description and some furnishings I added.

0 0 0
AnOldSoul

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:17 pm    Post subject:

Agree with BlackWidow. If character is deleted / con dies their lair should poof.

Maybe the room descriptions get added to a log for Imms/builders to pull from for creation/inspiration at a later time?

Would love the ability to "re-key" a lair. If you lost a key and knew someone had it, could purchase a locksmithing kit from Yarbok to replace the lock & key, not just the lost key. Spare key to get back in, new lock to secure it again.

Permanent sleeping furniture would be great, too. Something that could be deployed that persisted across reboots. Somewhere between a tent and the best beds you can find in the wild.

0 0 0
Hondorian

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:17 pm    Post subject:

Could we have hovel vendors that specialize in racially unique “accessories”. Like, a Stronger door from the Dwarven Hovel Master. Or a Poison Crafting Table for the Drow Hovel Master. These things could be sold at high cost. Lesser for those that live in those home towns. But more or not at all for outsiders.

Also, instead of guardians, like guild or cabals, to watch over the hovels. Could we make our Max Level pets become mobs that will guard the houses?

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:43 pm    Post subject:

Dwarven upgrades sounds badass for doors. We could do a guard dog pet to bark if someone is near your lair? Does every pet make sense? I dont think it does. I love the idea of being able to do this with dog pets

0 0 0
Mikoos

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:57 pm    Post subject:

An optional sign on the door or somewhere would be cool.

0 0 0
Vevier
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:40 pm    Post subject:

Cats can be left to guard, but they don't do anything.

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:36 pm    Post subject:

falcon/bird type can tell you who invaded your private abode
pet rat will eat all your food if you left any lying around
dragons will occasionally gnaw on things/set chairs on fire
bull will destroy anything made of porcelain/fragile (plant pots..)

1 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:45 am    Post subject:

we will carry lair threads forward into july patch

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Past Balance Patch Thread Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: