Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 4 hours.

Good/Neutral Aligned Specialty

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Past Balance Patch Thread Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Faelon
Emissary

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 10:58 pm    Post subject: Good/Neutral Aligned Specialty

One of my chiefest complaints, as a person who typically plays goodies, is that goodies/neutrals do not have a custom race/class.

I want this out there now, to preempt the crap I expect to come - I am super excited about the concept with werebeasts curse. No complaints here. My stating this has nothing to do with that, other then to point out that this would now be three specialty evil class/race options.

This is not only about play ability/fun for me. This is also about other people, who also may fall into this same category, who would like to try and achieve a specialty class/race combo, without trying to force themselves to do something they do not find enjoyable.

I had ideas in the past that, to be honest, were a bit campy. They fell into paladins camp and I'm not sure it's honestly the best option to choose paladins for something like this. Maybe healers or monks would be better. I was hoping the community might have some ideas we could pitch at the Imps. I'll add to this later, with my own suggestions.

1 0 0
hamsandwich

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 11:16 pm    Post subject:

I really like this. I agree that it feels lopsided. As someone who has historically almost never played an evil character, it would be cool to see something on the other side.
I'll try to come up with some ideas to contribute.

Of course I couldn't play it anyway as I am not elite. Maybe someday.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 1:14 am    Post subject:

* rolls his elite 25 strength elf paladin *
* straps into anti-carpal tunnel wrist supports *
LETS GO MOTHER FUCKERS

1 0 0
Lorne
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 1:29 am    Post subject:

But you gotta have a major vuln. too Dav. So 25 str but with 10 Con. So you have like 300hp base at level 50.

0 0 0
Faelon
Emissary

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 1:36 am    Post subject:

25 str, 25 dex, 25 Wis, 10 con.

Glass Cannon.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 2:09 am    Post subject:

my major vuln is my oath of having to throw myself at you pal

1 0 0
Faelon
Emissary

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 2:34 am    Post subject:

Here are a few ideas;

Originally I had thought of the anti-thesis of dark knight conversion to a vampire, in something like paladin -> arch-angel. Again, this was 15 years ago, it's a bit campy and I don't like it anymore. Instead;

Stone Giant -> Empyrean. Descendants of the gods of the upper planes, these are berserker base class only. In D&D, they cannot see themselves losing, because they are stunningly beautiful, intelligent and over charismatic. They throw themselves into combat, with unquenchable rage and fury. They refuse to believe the end is upon themselves, even when at deaths door. (This is the pull from D&D, we should obviously twist it to suit our needs).

Avian Warrior -> Solar. Only twenty four are known to exist and they exist to call down the wrath of the gods of good upon those who would rise against it. They are wielders of flaming swords and bows imbued with specialty properties. They are winged, which is why I chose avian. They are angelic by nature, so maybe I just deferred el-stupido idea from above to here. Who the fuck knows.

Half Dragon - Not sure the base race, but they always pick up attributes from their base. This is one that could be applied across all alignment/ethos. They are greedy, vain, arrogant and paranoid, regardless of alignment. An interesting RP aspect I think.

Dwarf Warrior -> Azer. They look like dwarves, but closer examination reveals they are entirely made of fire. Sworn enemies of the efreeti, they are natural crafters of stone, gem and jewels.

I do really like the idea of an angelic creature of some type, the more I think about it, but I am fairly certain that the paladin base is lame. Healer, monk, or warrior is where I am stuck at.

These were just some general starting off points, see if I am on the right track for ideas or if anyone else has ideas to riff off of these.

0 0 0
Arunore

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 3:19 am    Post subject:

slith for your half dragon, but it could go several ways. are they a reptilian species descendants of dragons? the lore needs to be fleshed out a bit before making those decisions. i also think the special classes should be balanced to where it correlates with the vamps, alhoons, evil werebeasts. it seems to be very difficult to come up with good-only special classes than evil-only special classes.

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 3:45 am    Post subject:

I'm excited to see how this discussion plays out. I have been toying around for a couple of years with an idea for a good-align quest class/race along the lines of angel, so I'm more than curious what people come up with here.

0 0 0
Bladefury

BANNED

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 9:29 am    Post subject:

An angel to rival vamps sounds cool but obviously he needs a gimp like vamps do during the day they also would need a weapon vuln at least.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Mr. Forgotten

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 2:05 pm    Post subject:

Superman style, they get their power from the sun. So, at night they are vulnerable due to the loss of certain abilities.

0 0 0
Baer

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 2:15 pm    Post subject:

Saint?

some pally bits mixed with some healer bits

castigate, reckoning, spirit shield, healer staff (saint staff?)

0 0 0
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 3:06 pm    Post subject:

That sounds very interesting. With everything else being worked on right now, I don't know how much attention something like this will get though haha.

0 0 0
Faelon
Emissary

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 3:32 pm    Post subject:

I was wondering about solitude, like vamps, but from a different direction. Minor buff when alone, MAJOR gimp when grouped. Even when ranking, so that they always prefer solitude. Not in a standoffish way, but rather in a way that attempts to protect others from any harm during their hunting.

Could mirror the vuln from vampires; unholy wrath/whatever is also an evil damage type (can't remember this morning).

0 0 0
BlackWidow

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 3:34 pm    Post subject:

I get what you're saying, Faelon... One thing I have noted is that avians cannot be paladins (has this always been the case?). I attributed this to their general lifestyle and personalities. Basically, due to the strong vibes of independence among avians which I have noticed, I would tend to assume they lack the organization to become paladins, and that most of them also lack the patience to devote themselves to the rigorous demands which paladinhood requires. Granted, avians may become healers (though few people actually play avian healers)...

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 3:36 pm    Post subject:

How about AR version of John Constantine.

0 0 0
Baer

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 3:54 pm    Post subject:

Faelon, check yo pm's

1 0 0
Bladefury

BANNED

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 12:46 pm    Post subject:

Paladins do not shit on vamps bruh my easiest fights so far have been against paladins and a healer.

Bladefurry got his post edited because vampire skills were given in it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
maeve

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 2:19 pm    Post subject:

All of my paladins would shit on every vamp even the most pimp ones. Vuln weapons and wrath spam just outfucks them easily.

I guess if you fight trash you wouldnt know

0 0 1
Bladefury

BANNED

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 3:45 pm    Post subject:

Its a vamp eat mortal world out here maeve and mortals out number the vamps gotta do what I gotta do.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Past Balance Patch Thread Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: