Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 4 hours.

Attack order

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hamsandwich

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:45 am    Post subject: Attack order

What determines whose attacks go first in the round? If you initiate or if you don'd initiate don't appear to influence it. Or at the very least, initiating makes your attacks go second.
Sometimes fights come down to being very close. The final round of combat, one person's attacks hit before the others have a chance, and that's all the difference that was needed.

0 0 0
Stiehl26

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:07 pm    Post subject:

For a long time it was the letter your name started with. I am pretty sure they have since corrected that bug. Would be interesting to hear the current state of that now.

0 0 0
Resatimm
Takes the Cake

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:38 pm    Post subject:

Probably too many people made names with Aaaaa to get first...

Razz

0 0 0
Matrix

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:40 pm    Post subject:

it was never the letter your character started with. It was your order in the connection queue (or perhaps at some point the order in which you entered the room). A player who was logged into the game first would get the first attack in a round. At no point is the order of the queue sorted alphabetically. This is another instance of Stiehl talking out his patoot without knowing anything about the topic at hand

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:15 pm    Post subject:

This is a really good question about combat mechanics and its encouraging to see it.

So there's actually two different parts to the answer here.

The first part concerns the command queue. Specifically that is who gets to input the command to murder first, or hellstream first. Commands do not happen instantly, in fact we process only 4 commands per second. Those are called pulses. Its the newer login goes first, due to there being a loop that checks connections for commands to process each pulse. New logins get priority on that from being newer connections.

The second part is the 3 second fighting updates. For the "rounds" of automatic attacks, that is a bit different. The order that goes in is this:

1) mobs
2) players
3) charmed mobs of players

That second part is actually based on the OLDER login. So that means if you saw somebody login and you ran and attack them, you would get your follow-up attacks before they get a response.

I was going to work on some sort "initiative" so there'd be a way to ensure you get to go first (basically get combat style advantage/weapon advantage) but chose to just code "double KO". That makes it a bit moot. Although I dont know if there are quirks in that I'm unaware of. There may well be. currently invokers can hellstream each other dead in the same pulse, and it doesnt matter who got to use spells first. But most certainly that has a bit of importance for the murder command.

0 0 0
hamsandwich

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:40 pm    Post subject:

Great answer Dav, thank you for explaining it.

If I'm understanding correctly, my take home message is that it's pretty much out of my control. I mean without purposefully logging out and back in before a fight I can't influence it in any meaningful way.

Also I really have absolutely no idea how to "balance" it any differently than it already is, I was just curious as to any way to get that tiniest little last edge in a close fight. I guess the answer is: be better so it's less close.

0 0 0
Lorne
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:07 am    Post subject:

Yea, I win all my fights with at least 500hp left, so I never have an issue.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Newbie Q/A All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: