Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 6 hours.

Its the return of the Strife Coterie

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:30 am    Post subject: Its the return of the Strife Coterie

This was announced by Lorne in the "death or glory" and just relaying the update here.

Joining Strife is really simple. Go the juggernaut in seringale, and purchase fighting license. It'll cost you 1000 medals, and that's a one-off fee for a lifetime membership into the strife fighting coterie.

Code:

Once a famous Knight, the retired old paladin Luminetar strode forward alone
feeling the onset of darkness.  He looked around, realising that the ravages
of time have left his ensemble empty - friends, dead.  Great heroes of Light
and Darkness alike, memories, countless in number, but doomed to fade.  He
stopped for a while to rest on his mortal wounds, and closed his heavy eyes,
remembering the honor of his age, before Serin thoughts had all turned to
extermination.  He remembers them all, how they lived, and what cause they
all died for.  With a grimace, he realised his life has reached his ending
but before the void swallowed him whole, something pulled him away... 

The coterie Strife is an organized group of mortals that seek to challenge
the limits of Serins in mano a mano combat duels, taking only the trophies
of war and returning the rest.  Members of strife are old practitioners of
war and magic that are united by their cause - the prevailment of honor and
protecting the dignity of each opponent. 

Rules of Strife:
* do not raid cabals
* do not break the terms of your duels

Eligible candidates may purchase a fighting license at the Seringale Arena Juggernaut.

Note: The members of Strife answer only to the Warlord cabal.  Do not bother
the Immortals.  The Warlord cabal will deal with Strife misconduct. 

Questions:
Q. Is there a level requirement?
A. You need to reach level 25 to be able to purchase the fighting license.

Q. How am I suppose to get 1000 medals?
A. There's no magic answer, just kill overlords.

Q. Can I retire from my cabal into strife?
A. No, you need to handle your cabal resignation with your cabal. You may experience
penalties if you resign. After that. Purchase the fighting license.

Q. Can I get kicked out of Strife?
A. Only by Warlord.

Q. Are there any special perks for joining Strife? Any responsibilities?
A. The benefit is tenacity (a.k.a. "stance") and the setback is not allowed to raid cabals.

Q. Can I still use magic?
A. Yes. However, be aware that tenacity and sanctuary are not multiplicative.

0 0 0
Bladefury

BANNED

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:30 pm    Post subject:

Opening strife and giving them tenacity makes being a warlord pointless...It basically let's you have one of the best power warlords have without any kind of responsibility of having the power. IE are strife required to train skills or battle?? So magic users can have tenacity?? A vampire is gonna get into strife and get tenacity and roll people.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:34 pm    Post subject:

forms and fatalities and a duel record is all warlord-only, are you sure about that? seems like theyd make great round 1 tourney fodder for warlords to score wins on also

1 0 0
Ozaru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:19 pm    Post subject:

I think the idea behind this is specifically for newer players who want to learn the mechanics of the game. Without having to worry about sanctuary is a great tool to focus on the multitude of things going on around you.

Of course a veteran player can exploit this easily. Or someone with a lot of friends in game. I won't be surprised to see a random monk in strife leading the way for their friends to clear winter.

As far as a vamp using tenacity instead of a purple, I guess its possible but with every warlord I have ever made it has usually been after I deleted a keeper. When I get hit with that first mangle or masscre through tenacity when the fucker I fought on my keeper was doing mutilates, I just think to myself why the hell did I join warlords lol.

0 0 0
Bladefury

BANNED

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:26 pm    Post subject:

Lmao if you cant eat mangle and massacres ozaru then something's wrong with your hp...oh yea its not a dwarf
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Ethaac

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:30 pm    Post subject:

Do sanctuary and tenacity stack? What will happen when a Strife guy quaffs a purple then enables tenacity (or vice versa).

0 0 0
Bladefury

BANNED

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:34 pm    Post subject:

I can guarantee they dont stack.

0 0 0
Kedaleam
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:31 pm    Post subject:

It states that right in the post.

0 0 0
ivindel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:33 pm    Post subject:

Personally, I don't like tenacity. Yeah, it's like a sanctuary spell but it's a weaker version. If you are able to manage the 2-tick timing on purple potions, I feel that purples work better. Another drawback of tenacity includes not being able to sleep to catch ticks without losing the tenacity effect entirely, which I dislike alot. I had a warlord warrior once and I never wanted to roll a warlord again mainly because of this reason.

On the other hand, joining Strife can be interesting if you have a character that has no intention of cabal raiding and simply likes to duel for the fun of it. The access to tenacity as a universal sanctuary spell makes dueling more accessible without the need to gather purple potion supplies.

My guess is that this idea of Strife probably came about from the many non-warlord duels that had been happening in the arena in recent times. As for using tenacity for PVE, I don't really see it as an issue.

0 0 0
Ethaac

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:51 pm    Post subject:

Kedaleam, you're right! In my old age and after sifting through so many thousands of Codex entries for so long my eyesight is failing.

0 0 0
Thorgoth
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:06 pm    Post subject:

Vamps can’t join cabals or coteries, it says right in their helpfile. Plus I’d never got tenacity route as a vamp because you need that sanc level protection to save you from their legit vulns.

Also, A serious mage will NEVER swap out sanc for tenacity if they can cast the spell. I’d be curious to see illusionist would be like but honestly it doesn’t seem worth it. As said in Dav’s post: you answer to Warlords so you can’t just go around murdering people left and right for no reason without fearing retribution.

Sometimes thinking about what one wants to say before saying it is a good idea.

0 0 0
Thorgoth
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:08 pm    Post subject:

Oh! Nice work on this BTW, extra game flavor is always nice to spice things up.

0 0 0
Kornhole

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:27 pm    Post subject:

So, there was chatter not too awful long ago about less cabals/coteries so that the member count in each might increase....now we are adding another organization, possibly taking away from already low cabal numbers? I am certain the imms know more than I, but this seems counterproductive to me, especially since there are already warlords, if you want to be a dueler......so Strife is just for those who want to duel and keep a record, and gain tenacity, but not have to be badass, and defend a cabal? I thought the record was a reward for being Warlord. Now my gnome ranger can has tenacity and a record!?!?!? Just for 1000 medals? Pimp. Next can we purchase another cabal ability for currency?? Id drop a million gold on some of them, or other amounts of currency!

0 0 0
Vevier
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:24 pm    Post subject:

Kornhole, I'm glad you brought that up. Generally, I agree with you about reducing options to promote numbers, but I believe Strife actually supports cabal warfare cause its a way to ease into the pk scene without needing to show up or defend your cabal or write a background. You also get a good excuse to fight someone with minimal rp behind it, even with alignment considerations. Duelling does do this now, but strife expands the option to more people.

Its also a good place to chill with an alt because having a low key group subscription (like strife or patronage) provides you an 'easy in' to hanging out with people and doing end game content. So for these reasons. I advocated for the return of strife despite the concerns about further segmenting our dwindling player base.

Also duel records are still warlord only. Wink

0 0 0
Vhrael
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:31 pm    Post subject:

My favorite critiques are always “this is dumb, and I offer no positive feedback.” Laughing Laughing

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:03 pm    Post subject:

What Ozaru wrote and what Invindel wrote is 100% spot on

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Updates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: