Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 6 hours.

Some thoughts for the avian race

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Past Balance Patch Thread Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:23 pm    Post subject: Some thoughts for the avian race

I was thinking avian race might benefit of a little TLC. So here is an idea I had and wanted to float for a future patch.

Spec an "avian type" at creation

earth - "grounded". no wings at all, youre basically a dodo. this character is extremely resistant to tripping and does better kick damage
blood - combat-focused, can only fly short distances but the character would situationally change its height to avoid disadvantage e.g. if you kick dirt, your character would land, or if dirted at, you'd try to fly. (this can be turned off)
air - ability to fly/land manually as needed (not while in combat), behaves as current

this could also suggest a god to worship, so for example a davairus-spec avian is the combat one (blood element), and its just a meat-eating predator. an air-spec would be the one for preening/cockiness, could be follower of current air god (looks to be vevier). the grounded avian is earth, and would feel a bit more like a disgraced avian that seeks to prove themselves worth of getting back their wings by gaining phostans favor. You would not be able to change the element, but dont have to go any deeeper into that unless you want to.

Havent thought about how that would shake out with race/class but obviously you can see I picked one for each alignment so everybody would have one pick, and the air pick is neutral so everyone can pick that.

Last edited by Davairus on Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:08 am; edited 2 times in total

0 0 0
hamsandwich

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:50 pm    Post subject:

Cool idea.

I think the earth spec is a nerf with no buff. So they need something to make it even remotely enticing. Extreme trip resistance is worse than fly and doesn't help with moves. So that one needs something.

Blood spec seems really quite strong for combat. If their flight ability is like crane style. As in it lags to activate and only lasts a few rounds. So it can function for better movement but not very good, then that might be a reasonable balance.

0 0 0
Xerties

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:19 pm    Post subject:

I agree that avians could use a little flavor, but also that the earth spec as presented is underwhelming.

Blood should be raptors. Shortish bursts of high activity for hunting. I like the autostance changing.

Maybe instead of earth and air we have songbirds (smaller size, very quick but fragile, manual fly/land) and then migratory birds (or waterbirds or something like that, can't think of a good category for this one). They would be able to fly higher than others and for longer periods. Upshot of that would be you can ascend above the clouds and fly from area to area directly (with some lag or cooldown or something).

0 0 0
Ozaru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:10 am    Post subject:

make dive charge like the paladins lightning charge where it auto attacks
give avian warriors eagle takes flight since it was removed from warlords

0 0 0
hamsandwich

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:27 am    Post subject:

I think breakneck swerve is like eagle takes flight just the nerfed less op version.

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:53 am    Post subject:

Davairus wrote:
Code:
you're basically a dodo

Fucken sign me up!

0 0 0
Ashlyn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:00 am    Post subject:

Platypus spec please.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:07 am    Post subject:

The reason the grounded spec was just resistant to tripping was because I figured they would at least keep the light bones. But without the wings, so falling wouldnt hurt as much. Other than that I can't really think of a superpower for it. I guess it could apply to any lag skill.

0 0 0
Kedaleam
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:08 am    Post subject:

Grounded could get the flavour of something like their wings attack on a dodge, but it's just a scratch/injure like slith tail.

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:26 am    Post subject:

Avian bard racial legacies?
Songbird: songs work at a bit higher than level (akin to spellcraft)
Flutter: fleeing avian bard flutters all over the room so you don't know which way they exited

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:34 am    Post subject:

grounded spec is an ostrich. kicks do +25% damage. can bury head in sand to avoid tells and being blackjacked (sand sector only). runs like the wind. int penalty

0 0 0
hamsandwich

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:01 am    Post subject:

The bard legacies actually sound pretty sweet.

The ostrich stuff is funny. But doesn't sleeping do the exact same thing as bury your head? lol

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:05 pm    Post subject:

Yep, I suggested blackjack protection on it. See thief? Run to a beach and go bury head in the sand! Obviously that was not a very serious suggestion for ostrich Laughing

0 0 0
maeve

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:45 pm    Post subject:

avian monks that can only use crane style

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Past Balance Patch Thread Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: