Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Recovering the Lost Arcane Relics" is underway, and ends in 3 days, 13 hours.

Religions update
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject: Religions update

Hi guys, wanted to make sure everybody is informed about what is going on with religions having noticed some of the same questions coming up, and the bug reports coming back to us aren't very helpful having clearly came from uninformed players (that is my fault).

Religions are undergoing improvement cycles. We are kind of rebooting it and rebooting because it isn't generating enough mortal-immortal interaction, which is what we desired from religions. Our new, and current, approach is to have active Imms being the primary picks for religions, and the "npc deity" we have had before is a fallback when there isn't an Imm available to choose.. i.e. redundancy built into the system. This is why you suddenly became the follower of a real imm, if you did so recently.

I know things are a little rough right now, and they should be in a better spot. We've had other fish to fry but I will get back there ASAP..

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject:

Back here now, sorry for the wait.

p1
* fix domain helps - completed. its now "elements"
* fix avatar help - completed

p2
* fix creation process deity picks - completed
* add repick option - completed

p3
* add more religion spells
* fix cause spells and healer damage

Last edited by Davairus on Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:27 am; edited 4 times in total

0 0 0
uzume

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:12 pm    Post subject:

Interesting ideas how will the supposed champions/adepts be chosen though?

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject:

Its a good question to ask.

I'm not sure what an adept is. Someone suggested they could be on even footing with avatars, so that they can administer the religion (appoint and outcast). I liked that, so I put it into the helpfile for a future improvement. But this needs nothing to do with them being a champion of anything. We'll probably have to make that into its own thing, like how shaman has hand/voice/wrath titles. Like you get to adherent then decide which one you are at that point.

0 0 0
beia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:28 am    Post subject:

Religious Specific Armor sets please? For the High Followers only, Rot_Death, As good as or better than the Relic Armor in Timaran, but it is free, and spawns in the chest that can only be unlocked by the High Follower...

0 0 0
Arunore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:50 am    Post subject:

How about one unique item for each race/class combination of said deity, but difficult to achieve. Minotaur zerker of Darkhan has the chance to gain a battleaxe whereas a fire zerker can get a mace. Maybe to save work and time reduce it down to weapon type per class, or even armor or shields, just different depending on race for that class and deity. Having selections is a cool thing, a dark-knight of Darkhan picking between three titles or roles. Sort of like choosing to be priest fanatic, a brute who goes and slays in their name, or insert third choice here.

0 0 0
uzume

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:09 am    Post subject:

I like the idea of a choice of what type, also the set item for the follower like a priest of said deity gets simple equipment all imbued with whatever stuff that would help represent his deity or the names of the equipment. Kinda like how you die go to your guildmaster an outfit. Instead the adherent like hand/voice an such of the deity gets adorned the robes an such. Also if he is out preaching his faith or what not gaining more followers he gets slain. So he recruits the adept/champion take exact zealous fury upon the said name offender.

0 0 0
Andrael

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:53 pm    Post subject:

I think the item should be the deity's preferred weapon. It makes more sense that way than anything else.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:26 am    Post subject:

Seems like it would be outfit command, not vendor.

0 0 0
uzume

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject:

So nit picky outfit vendor but if possible why not the robes for the adept/hand an weapon for the adept/champion gives something to both types an helps make people want to try both? Though that probably is like an insane amount of work.

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject:

Just keep the great ideas flowing. Feasibility is something we'll figure out behind the scenes Wink

0 0 0
beia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject:

I am all about Religious Quests that offer rewards such as Religious Specific Equipment. (Sacred) would be the flag like (Glowing) (Humming) ect. The quest would be for the High Follower if we plan to have structure to the Religion.

Also I suggest that each major city have A cathedral of sorts with shrines to those gods, not the Main Shrines just public shrines, then each separate deity would have there own Temple, and those areas can remain rather seclusive and not in the help file so people need to contact the High Follower in order to set up a meeting to see if they fit into the Religion. Then an induction ceremony if the person fits in.

0 0 0
Vevier
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:37 pm    Post subject:

beia, can you try that sentence again with a period or three? I can't make any sense of it.

Religion quests are something I'd really like to do, but hopefully it'll be for initiates to complete before you pledge. (So step 1 - see a mystic to get inducted, step 2 - complete a quest, then pledge, step 3 - tattoo based on rp/cleric/whatever) That's my ideal world.

0 0 0
uzume

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:04 am    Post subject:

Then step 4 become so awesome a follower you get to choose or have chosen for you, to be a champion or a hand of the deity. Then get some kinda equipment maybe an spread the word of your faith to others or make them submit to your beliefs.

0 0 0
beia

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:41 am    Post subject:

I am the master of run-on sentences, I think if you really want to turn people onto the Religious RP aspect there needs to be more than just Mystic involvement, there needs to be something more worth while other than RP satisfaction.

0 0 0
Mikoos

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:00 am    Post subject:

I have no idea if this is the right place to post this or not, but I think it'd be cool if each religion had an epic quest associated with it, example: You need a winter size group to complete it. I know it's be rare, but..well The Gods are real in Thera(er..Serin) so it would seem like something of profound proportions would be involved.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:50 am    Post subject:

Call me lazy or stupid if you want, but it looks better from where I'm sitting to just tie religions into the cabal system (e.g. justice requires following a lawful god) as we kind of already have all the tools there for them to be our champions, along with a "holy relic" that provides a bit of a drawback to make up for these powers they have. I guess we would want to preserve existing ethos/align restrictions but it does introduce the possibility for us to drop the alignment requirement and have a stone giant in the Knights of Valour, as long as they are followers of Aberdour and converted to good by joining up - maybe a bad example but Keepers could get a huge injection of talent from going by Virgil deity instead of align. Cabals also naturally lower the amount of religion options which we are bursting with. And frankly this game has always been about its cabals and the race/class options there are for them.

I kind of feel like this is the right way especially as we have Mystics purporting to be part of religions. I think that the recent Ophalina character which drew quite a bit of attention should've been an obvious shoe-in for Mystics, but we were missing some stuff needed to get us there. Lets say we want Mystics to be for that character type specifically. So, going forward Mystics would continue to be the way to be the "voice" and have the ability to admin the religion and promote it to new followers, ability to observe followers and other trappings, as opposed to existing to be the ones that are fighting over it (i.e. the "hand").

Let me know if this is a solution that works, I am kind of trying to do 300 things so, if we can do one thing easy for a change it will make me happy for sure, and I'd really like to cement religion into cabal and open up some new stuff to try out.

0 0 0
Faelon
Emissary

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:47 am    Post subject:

I like this idea, as I think it opens up RP/PK possibilities as well.

0 0 0
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:04 am    Post subject:

I had to think about this one a bit. To explain my opinion on this I think a little history would help. I built Balan around the concept of a storm giant priest whom in his time of need cried out to his god "Olyn" and was answered and became something more. His entire role-play was built around his servitude to Olyn and in the end ended up Titled as such. I loved it, and thought it was a great aspect. Some of my most fun times rping were converting people like Libera to the light, and to follow Olyn. Or even just trying to convert others. It was a blast, and it wasn't just about PK. I see something like this bringing in greater chances to enrich the role-play in the community. I'm all for it. I would like to see senior Cabal Members with the ability to initiate people into their chosen religion to make it easier for people to follow their gods. Any Adept of the religion should have proven themselves enough that they can initiate others to follow their god. Keep up the awesomeness!

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:25 am    Post subject:

Ok, so if we do adepts for initiate/outcast, and cabals for warfare, then that leaves Mystics as essentially scholars, coming together to share understanding without enforcing that strict dogma either outwardly or among themselves. It makes sense for cabals to allow that, because they'd be able to provide guidance to get people started and checking up on people to see if their actions are valid, which is sometimes useful for them.

I think this is cohesive. There might be another chink in it yet, but for now it seems like we have closed the loop. Finally!

I'll recode initiate tonight. The cabals part is just helpfile changes, so nothing for me to do on that bit.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Updates All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: