Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 15 hours.

Sanctuary
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield
View previous topic :: View next topic  
divsky
Emissary

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: Sanctuary

This is, without a doubt, the most powerful skill or spell in the game. All combat in the game revolves around the sanctuary spell (and by this I don't just mean it as a castable spell, but also from potions, stance and other sources). If you don't have it, you cannot win in a fair fight.

If AR was still in development I'd say the whole spell should just be removed. It's just too powerful, like haste used to be. But we've been around for almost 20 years now and the game mechanics have come to adapt around the idea of sanctuary being a necessity for PK. Sanctuary is an integral part of AR and it's not going anywhere.

In another thread the topic of defender potions was getting discussed a little. And it made me wonder if sanctuary is being done right. Here's some of my complaints:

-Too big a gulf between those with access to a level 50 sanctuary and those who rely on purple potions. I think this is why some people were saying that defender potions are being used too much.

-Farming for sanc potions feels too chore-like. If you're farming purples you're not doing other things that allow you to actually interact with other players.

-Warlord stance is the only form of sanctuary that cannot be denied in any way. One of the key aspects of the game is denying your opponent access to sanctuary. It has a hefty mana cost and you eventually run out of purples or defender potions. But Warlords can just completely ignore this huge aspect of the PK system. With defender potions becoming harder to acquire this makes the Warlord stance even more absurd.

-I fucking hate that purple potions evaporate. Is it just me? I wish there was a better way to limit people from hoarding purples. I feel like I'm getting punished for training or binge-ranking or any other activity that keeps me from farming purples for a long time. A hard limit to how many purple potions you can carry at once, maybe?

I dunno, if anyone else has any things to discuss about sanctuary, purple potions, defender potions, etc, I guess this is the thread to do it.

0 0 0
divsky
Emissary

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject:

I was unimaginably stoned when I made this thread.

0 0 0
Andrael

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject:

Warlords are only allowed to PK when someone is Deathmarked or someone stole their cabal item, so I can see them having it all the time. It drops when they sleep, and its not as powerful as sanctuary.

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 11:09 pm    Post subject:

looks like we need a stoned thread in addition to the drunk thread

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 11:21 pm    Post subject:

quote:

Warlords are only allowed to PK when someone is Deathmarked or someone stole their cabal item

/quote

Huh? If that's the current Warlord policy, someone should overthrow the mortal leader and bring da pain. imo warlords = badasses who make war, not turds who take turns dueling and giving reacharounds.

2 0 0
Merlandox

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 12:58 am    Post subject:

I do not think that Warlord tenacity is absurd. It is not as powerful as sanctuary and the upkeep cost is high. With probably just the exception for H-elf monks, almost everyone else will run out of mana upkeeping their skills and tenacity in a prolong fight. Especially stone giants.

That said, since defender potions are now harder to obtain, i'm not sure how that changes the dynamics of tenacity against others. My sensing is that purples work just fine against tenacity.

and YES!!!! it is god damn irritating that all sanctuary potions evaporate.

quote:

"Huh? If that's the current Warlord policy, someone should overthrow the mortal leader and bring da pain. imo warlords = badasses who make war, not turds who take turns dueling and giving reacharounds."

How do you overthrow leaders that are hardly around?

0 1
boo,
Nycticora

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 1:59 am    Post subject:

Warlords are no longer allowed to pk anybody for any reason.

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 2:16 am    Post subject:

They're not called warlords, just Lords. Welcome to the Lord cabal

3 0 0
divsky
Emissary

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 2:22 am    Post subject:

So Warlords are all about spreading the message of love, peace and tolerance all across Serin? Pretty groovy.

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 2:27 am    Post subject:

and hugs. Free hugs at North Square

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:47 am    Post subject:

I still think stance was way more badass when you could get it on a DK and stack it with sanctuary by autoinducting into that gimp cabal for retired characters

the actual damage reduction didn't stack but I used to stance and quaff a purple and let the purple run out when the guy I was fighting could see it wear off so he'd do stupid shit, it was great

bring that back

1 0 0
Vevier
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 7:17 am    Post subject:

Sanc potions vs sanc spells is a pretty major balance we've created. That doesn't need to be changed imo, not at its core at least.

Though I totally agree about purples proofing, and I'd be ok if they did down to a certain point. Or maybe they just need to weigh more. THIS JUST IN! Sanctuary components now require superheavium! (Autocorrect to supergravity lol)

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 7:52 am    Post subject:

I have a vague memory of increasing the purple potion evaporate time back when I stopped the fuckin gyvel out the north gate from rotting and then not repopping until after someone want into the area to look for it

I don't know if increasing it again would be a good idea if we did already but if we didn't I'm for that

0 0 0
Merlandox

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 7:55 am    Post subject:

Wait what? You guys want to increase purple rotting time? Why would you do that?? Shocked

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 8:11 am    Post subject:

weren't you just complaining that purple potions suck

0 0 0
Kato

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject:

The purple potion problem could be resolved by a better way of managing inventory -- queue instead of stack priority would make the problem go away

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 1:49 pm    Post subject:

"warlords = badasses who make war, not turds who take turns dueling and giving reacharounds"

New social command?

1 0 0
Merlandox

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 7:28 pm    Post subject:

Me? I Just agreed that Purple potions evaporating was irritating. I did not ever said that purples suck.... Since when Nyc???? What?

0 0 0
ottif

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject:

i never liked the idea of aura but it is like the op said the most fundamental part of the game and it serves its purpose really so seems to be a non issue.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 9:16 pm    Post subject:

We could take it down to the same reduction as Warlord stance if you guys want. Guessing people didnt know stance was slightly under. Reducing sanc slightly and buffing high level armor items would make HP items more valuable and spell damage more useful. Its actually a cool idea

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: