Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 11 hours.

Druidic Staff

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Forgotten

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:37 pm    Post subject: Druidic Staff

Why is the tree that calls out to you random, and how come we can't just approach the magical tree we want to make the staff out of and just carve it the same way rangers carve their arrows? I spent 45 minutes once trying to get a staff with the permanent element that I wanted.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:46 pm    Post subject:

In the context of gameplay, which includes roleplaying, its really just a soft penalty for not following whatever you were assigned, which in the context of being in-character equates to doing nonsensical bullshit. At least you did not have to delete after levelling to 15 to find out (werebeasts).

In the context of druids, its just communicating the idea that the staff chooses you and not you choose the staff, knowing that luck is a part of fate, and being initiated with the typical wandering and seeking knowledge that druids are informally understood to do.

Thank you for the question.

0 0 0
IrishMidnight

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:01 pm    Post subject:

I'd like to know if the staffs are simply broken when it comes to summonings. (And maybe more)

The bear seems broken level-wise based on how early you can call it, then you lose the ability at a specific level. Then summoning the jaguar changed and couldn't be called at level 30. So I'm bothered by learning a said combination to suddenly have it change outright... Especially in the case of jaguar since then the brandish does an area Earth attack which nearly got me killed by aggro'ing a room...

Needless to say, haven't dabbled with the druid more because it feels more broken than mysterious...

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:56 am    Post subject:

No, we haven't changed the staff combinations. Nothing has been touched there in months.

One of the most important variables for druid spellcasting is the level of the shards that were put into the staff, which represents the level of the STAFF, not the level of the PLAYER, so its possible (I don't know this off the top of my head, and I don't expect you to) you cannot call a jaguar with the jaguar runes because the staff is -underpowered- and needs its shards upgraded. This is also possibly why you can call a low level bear.

Maybe it actually is a bug. That is also a possibility. I think its important that the game properly communicates something is wrong when it is a bug too, and it doesnt sound like it is doing that. It seems like it is just going to a "fallback" spell instead of telling you what you are trying to do is impossible

We'll always take the time to fix the bugs when the bug report is convincing enough, like having a pastebin of shit going wrong, and we'll make those the highest priority actually.

The staff casting was meant for a bit of gimmickry and flair so I wouldnt worry too much about not being able to call forth a level 80 grizzly bear. The rest of the class's balance and overall viability isnt intended to hinge on summoning power animals. Thats just something to encourage experimentation and motivate a feeling of natureism and closeness with those powerful prey animals. If you are making that impactful then I suggest to you that you are a very strong player who has taken the druid class beyond its boundaries and found some roughness over that. Whereas from my point of view, this is actually intended to be one of the less critical druid spells, and something another of our coders than myself can play with to get some valuable experience in tweaking class skills. Quite possibly this is exactly what already happened.

Thank you for the feedback.

0 0 0
IrishMidnight

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:07 am    Post subject:

I have prismatic shards in there so from what I can tell, don't think can go much further to improve that aspect. 23, lose the ability to call the level 46 bear (which is possible to do with three shard fragments). Something definitely feels off though... I'd love to discuss more in game but in the process of trying to get a feel for the class, tried 3 different races, all same outcome with the bear aspect (sorry that's my main example) and the only constant was hitting level 23.

Ideally as you mentioned, was trying to look for patterns with either shard levels and or a combination of spirit bond too.

And having fought a level 20 druid using a level 46 bear... It wasn't so much flashy as nope, not going to fight a level 46 mob hitting me MANGLES through sanc Razz

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:20 am    Post subject:

I can't see how the code supports what you are saying you can do. Can you please post a log if you have a druid around still.

To clarify, you are saying you can NOT call a bear anymore after level 23, right?

0 0 0
BlackWidow

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject:

That's what I've noticed, Davairus, and somebody else said the same thing. (the bear thing)

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:58 pm    Post subject:

If not a log, then please let me know the exact staff combo you guys used to make bears. By the way I dont mean to sound short or impatient or however it is I seem to come off on the forum. Its just I already spent an hour and I can’t figure out how you get stopped at 23 when it says here the bear level is 46. I mean you might be doing something differently than the stuff I am checking into.

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:42 pm    Post subject:

Fellow perplexed druid user here. I was able to call a level 46 bear with a fully charged earth staff by just brandishing the staff. I didn't notice the exact level cutoff, but it did stop appearing at some point.

The bear was summonable even in non-forest areas, lasted about two ticks and did pretty sweet damage.

I think at my current level I can summon a panther with E-E-P or something but the panther doesn't assist at all Sad. I'm also too tired to log on and test things so sorry about that.

0 0 0
BlackWidow

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:01 pm    Post subject:

The combo I used was E-E-E to summon the bear.

0 0 0
IrishMidnight

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:44 pm    Post subject:

The panther goes away too... Seemed to happen somewhere between level 26-30 with E-E-F.

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject:

I've identified the bug. Look for a fix in the upcoming balance patch.

2 0 0
IrishMidnight

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:42 pm    Post subject:

Yaaas, nicely done!

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: