Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 15 hours.

Allow Engraved Items to be Unengraved

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jugahbu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:21 am    Post subject: Allow Engraved Items to be Unengraved

Can we allow rare/unique items that have been previously engraved to be unengraved? Usually this occurs whenever someone risks their life PK'ing and they obtain a rare/unique item that is amazing, yet they are unable to override the engrave to fit in with their own set. Instead the person is told they can't engrave it and that seems like a counter to one of the appeals to PK'ing. Can we force them to pay a hefty price to unengrave, then another fee to engrave for the set of their choice?

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:12 am    Post subject:

This breaks realism too much.

1 0 0
jugahbu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:21 am    Post subject:

That an armorer is unable to undo what he's already done? Sounds like an armorer who shouldn't be able to engrave in the first place.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:59 am    Post subject:

I could see maybe an artisan jeweler would be able to take an average ring, melt it down and re-cast it as a new ring in his store, if he had a mould, and it would look like the same ring (although chemically it isnt). I could see an artisan tailor could repair ordinary clothing, remove patches and make alterations. I could even see an artisan metalworker able to meltdown simple broad swords and reforge them into their original image. But you know what I can't see? Someone taking your treant thews engrave off your extremely rare magic multiplated girdle and giving it back to you, good as new.

I think maybe you need to come to terms with the fact that our game is trying hard to funnel its (note, not your) rares back where they came from.

Such a process would maybe provided with a hugely likely chance of exploding the object, like trying to enchant a 6/6 sword or whatever. AS that is consistent with what I have said. We want rares circulating and some of the reason they circulate is because of crafting input we put in place for that very purpose, like engraves..

If you are talking about just reversing the engraves on a leather bandit belt or something, then its like, whats the point of coding that, when you can easily get another. I could add that to to-do list if that satisfies you, but just be aware it will be at least 3 months before we get around to it, as we are backed up and releasing on a patch schedule.

0 0 0
jugahbu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject:

First off, I'm not talking about non-rare armor. Primarily because you can't engrave it and secondly because it's easy to get.

My focus is more towards extremely hard to get armor like Winter rares. These items take a lot of effort to get and if I manage to kill someone with them I should be able to reap the rewards of that kill. This is still circulating rare/unique eq because if I'm not good enough to fend off PK's than I will lose it and thus the rotation continues.

I don't see why it doesn't make sense to be able to override the engrave. I agree with you - in realistic terms, an armorer cannot change the properties / chemical make-up of equipment, but that's not what I'm asking. I'm saying that an armorer who is able to forge and engrave equipment to fit a certain set should be skilled enough to take that engraving and turn it into something else.

I definitely think there should be a risk to this than engraving the item in it's raw form but it shouldn't be impossible.

0 0 0
tayyah

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject:

sacrifice it and kill the creature who holds it. as long as it isn't a unique creature or a unique item it should come back.

0 0 0
BlackWidow

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject:

Well, let me see if I am understanding similar real-world implications... Removing an engraving might be seen as like removing embossed or engraved letters/numbers/insignia on something like a ring? If that is the case, it's not exactly something I see as a simple matter of "remove label X, now you may add label Y".

On the other hand, altering it could be more like what can be done with bowling balls (as a former bowling enthusiast in my teens whose fingers were too small for the heavier balls which were more appropriate for me given my arm strength)... In the case of a bowling ball, it's relatively simple to drill a larger hole or fill a hole as needed, though that does not really change the overall position of the holes (granted, it is also possible to place inserts which allow you to hold the ball in your fingertips instead of up to your knuckles...)

Still, I don't think as a whole this idea is a good one for realism sake, and I also don't see it as totally applicable otherwise.

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:20 pm    Post subject:

If I'm a Knight I might have Regal Radiance on my Overlapping Black Plates.

If I'm a Mystic I might have Heart of Eternity on it.

If I'm a Legion I might have Malicious Beast on it.

These 3 dudes don't really want to loot each other's Overlapping Black Plates.

Is it really intended to have changed Overlapping Black Plates such that it can't be looted and used equally by those who loot it? If so, it means killing for eq is being disincentivized. In order to obtain full benefit from looting these Overlapping Black Plates a player has to sacrifice them and go recollect them from the mob.

I think what I want to do is create a Lair crafting station for resetting items back to their default stats. So if you take a +7/+7 water cube and put it on this crafting station, it would go back to the default stats of -2/+3. Currently the only thing you can do is fade the item with enchant weapon or enchant armor, which would reset the item to +0/+0 and remove any other stats (+hp etc).

need to figure out what kind of cost this has and how to pay for it

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:23 pm    Post subject:

A high one.

Like, you should have to melt down rares into shards and destroy an equivalent amount of rare eq.

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:56 pm    Post subject:

I'd still loot the shit out of overlapping black plates even if it were engraved with a noncompatible set item like 99 times out of 100. The only time it would prevent the looting is if you're relying on your own set that uses the same slot and by using a set you're imposing limits on yourself anyway. I don't see a problem with making engrave non reversible.

0 0 0
BlackWidow

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject:

Um... Overlapping black plates are anti_good, and the Heart of Eternity set has no torso item, but otherwise the point Nycticora made is a good one.

Last edited by BlackWidow on Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:24 pm    Post subject:

lol you can see how often I play goods

0 0 0
Stiehl26

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:22 am    Post subject:

Maybe forum names don't matter, but the name jugahbu is one vowel sound from a very racist, hurtful term.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: