Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 10 hours, 24 mins.

Exempt undead from inactivity deletion?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should the undead live forever?
Sounds like a good idea
55%
 55%  [ 11 ]
Sounds like a bad idea
35%
 35%  [ 7 ]
dgaf
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 20

Nycticora

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject: Exempt undead from inactivity deletion?

I've been thinking about making characters who have the undead race, vampires, and alhoons immune to inactivity deletion to represent their immortality.

If this did happen, rare purges would still take place.

Remember that there are already no graveyard entries for the undead, so these characters will never have gravestones regardless of whether or not a change is made.

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:45 pm    Post subject:

I'm on board with this.

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:27 pm    Post subject:

Anyone have any opinions on the following? We could:

1. Empty their inventories even of non-rares when they would otherwise have been deleted for inactivity

2. Leave non-rares alone and just purge rares normally but skip the inactive delete

I'm going to leave this open for a long time to let everyone who has opinions voice their objections before making any change. This will also be run by Davairus and Olyn before implementation to make sure it's cool.

1 0 0
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:57 pm    Post subject:

I would say if they are going to be inactive and not delete, empty their inventories completely. It's a nice punishment for not logging in and getting to keep your character.

0 0 0
jaran
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:03 pm    Post subject:

Make them lose all their equipment.
Perhaps it rots away while the vampire sleeps for many years.

0 0 0
Mr. Forgotten

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:26 am    Post subject:

I posted "dgaf", but I like the idea of ALL armor rotting away from inactivity, not just rares. It actually does sound like a good idea for Undead to not die from age/inactivity and I feel that it matches with lore and adds depth to the game. It could be added into their helpfiles that due to their unholy affliction, they no longer age and are therefore exempt from ageing out/inactivity deletion.

1 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject:

Oooo. Going down the decaying armor thing could have some cool inactivity components. Like wooden/plant armor could rot after a certain time. Your living wood greaves become rotted wood greaves with no bonuses. And metal armor could rust. So functionally you lose your armor, but rp-wise you log back on your character from two years ago to a rotted-rusty eq list.

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:48 pm    Post subject:

I moved this to the Q3 area since it looks like a go in some form.

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:48 pm    Post subject:

To incentivize someone to actually log their undead, maybe you could dock one constitution point if the character is inactive for six months? So like, you only have to log on twice a year to keep full constitution, but if you keep your toon on ice for two years, there will be some lasting consequences?

0 0 0
Stiehl26

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject:

What is the driving factor of this change? Isn’t the benefit of having an undead character the very character itself? The reward is having the character gifted to you. If a character is not willing or able to maintain the same commitment that every other character needs to make to keep their character from being deleted, then it should delete. If the change is made for undead, then make the change for all characters or not at all. Why add to an already elite class?

1 0 0
tayyah

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:31 pm    Post subject:

I was trying to figure out how to basically say exactly that Steihl, This to me takes away one of the main things that makes this game unique to all other games. Giving more rewards to elite level players to just have a vampire sitting on the back burner able to log into when ever they want without recourse compared to every single other character that has to be logged in. If you want a character, log it in every 90 days. This wont encourage someone to play more. This is also coming from someone who can go roll a vampire and have the rewards.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:38 pm    Post subject:

Like vamps, this idea kinda sucks (jk, pun intended) but its definitely redeemable. The vampires could become stronger with age instead? As in, you get stats bonus each time you make the 15 hours playtime check. Or whatever that check is. Let the inactive vamp shed his whole bonus and wish he didnt. it would feel as awful as losing rares im sure.
this may make a good skill for knights , too, if vamps dont want it

You could call it a random +1 hit / 10 hp / +1 damroll randomized per month if the stats feels wrong. stats would cap so its not that ideal. i think the immortality aspect of vamps doesnt make sense with our game because it doesnt have the age death of its predecessors that we wouldve trivially turned off for undead characters. i think our inactivity delete is important for freshness. but i like the principle of something mattering over time. i think actually if vamps were managed by an active immortal presence we would be seeing them getting denied for leaving a bad impression, especially inactivity. everybody universally hates that.

i sense a bit of jealousy in this thread. how about you guys suggest some ideas to your own benefit instead of shitting on things

0 0 0
tayyah

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:50 pm    Post subject:

naw, I would rather just shit on bad ideas instead, Nycticora said he was leaving this open specifically for objections. Though your psycho-analysis are always oh so enjoyable

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:52 pm    Post subject:

There's no driving factor for this change, it's just an idea I thought of when I decided it would be good to make a mortal vampire in charge of turning level 30 DKs so I don't have to show favoritism.

At first I was going to just give the vampire with the most active hours that position automatically and exempt only him (or her) from inactivity deletion. When any vampire passes the oldest vampire in total active hours the torch passes. But then I started thinking it would make sense to do that for Alhoons and normal undead too and figured if nobody had a major problem with it I might as well be generous and apply it across the board.

I post polls mostly to get feedback on ideas, record the ideas, and drive additional forum activity. I'd say most of the ideas I have posted in polls never get implemented even if the pbase overwhelmingly approves them.

In order to get accepted and implemented the idea has to impress someone enough to catch their attention. Basically an idea needs a champion who thinks it's a really kickass idea in order for it to get implemented. It's not a "speak up or it goes in" thing, it's a "does anyone want to own this" kind of thing.

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:54 pm    Post subject:

I'm gonna punt this back to the polls thread so we can continue discussion, it looks like this needs more time to bake before it makes it to a patch. This won't be ready in time for Q3, I should spend the effort this would have taken on existing fully-baked lair ideas intsead.

0 0 0
tayyah

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject:

Okay, I put some serious thought into this. The idea of no activity delete exemption just doesn't sit well with me, basically at all. But, I was thinking of ways to offset that. I would like to expand on Davairus idea about the monthly bonus... but go the other way. Have them decay monthly, getting negative stats that are semi-perm. The way to remove the decaying stats is to kill a player and drain their corpse, returning them to full strength. Maybe give them like -1str -1con per month to a reasonable cap of like -3 or -5 stats. Active vampires wouldn't be affected and the absence would come at a cost. You can always wear equipment to get back to full stats but again, this is at a cost to your overall stats. Alhoon are severely underwhelming so I'm not sure where they fit in

0 1
boo,
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:04 pm    Post subject:

that is cool on paper but you want the other way around for something thats actually fun to play -- so youd drain corpses for a permanent damage bonus and lose the whole snowball on inactivity purge

0 0 0
Mikoos

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:38 pm    Post subject:

The whole change to inactivity for undead feels kind of pointless to me. No reason to say no or yes to it.

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:35 pm    Post subject:

everything feels pointless to the undead, Mikoos

0 0 0
Mikoos

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject:

Well shit. Hmm....Coffins are expensive as fuck for someone of my height and I’m not even that tall.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: