Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 9 hours.

Looking Back and Looking Ahead: Fond Memories
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Past Balance Patch Thread Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:06 pm    Post subject: Looking Back and Looking Ahead: Fond Memories

Another new year has arrived, with each of us having survived the gamut of challenges that life placed before us and, one way or another, we're stronger for it. It is also at this time of year that we reflect on ourselves and the choices we’ve made so that we can make resolutions to become better people. Here at the Abandoned Realms, we’ve been doing our own introspection. We thought about some of the unique challenges that must be overcome when developing and improving a game that some of us have been playing for more than 20 years. For example, every improvement we make to the game, whether it’s the addition of a new spell, an area update, or a bug in the math of dirt kick that somehow went undetected for 23 years, distances our present game from the one we all fell in love with however many years ago. Some of the changes we’ve made have been near-unanimously welcomed while others have been more divisive.

As I mentioned earlier, the Abandoned Realms game staff recently took a long look in the mirror and we decided to call ourselves out on a few changes we made in the spirit of innovation that took us further away from that nostalgic feeling we crave when we log in. Here’s a few blasts from the past you can expect to see when we take our time machine for a spin in April 2020:

- The large hobgoblins (and exact path thereto) will roll back a few years.
- The Darkenbeast will return beneath Gwidry.
- The Common is going to look and feel a lot more like the Miden'nir (annoying mountain goblins will get in your way as you navigate the original paths to emerald forest, dark horsemen, and goblin village).
- Ogre Village will be back to give ol’ Mahn-Tor the staredown.

We have a few more items for this list we want to keep in our pockets for now, but we have room for some of yours, too. That’s not to say this is the place to let us have it on recent changes you don’t like, but you can do that here. Instead, we want to know about your favorite early memories of AR. The memories that bring back the warm fuzzy feeling you used to get. The one that Resatimm still gets when he takes a big bite of a raw onion.

We’re listening,
Olyn

0 0 0
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:19 pm    Post subject:

Does anyone remember Galaxy from back in the day? And Timbers? That was a long time ago...

1 0 0
Stiehl26

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:01 pm    Post subject:

I would just consider that any changes made to get the mud where it is did not impact any newer players. I didn't remember where the hobgoblins used to be when I came back, so the impact was minimal in that regard.

I am sure you are already taking this into account in your planning phases, but I would make sure there is clear documentation and pathing instructions to any changes that are made. I know if someone told me oh just go get the sanc potions where they used to be, I would have no idea where that was.

Thank you and the staff for the reflections that led to making whatever changes you felt needed to be made and the work that it will take to make it happen.

0 0 0
Kedaleam
Immortal

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:21 am    Post subject:

We’re joking, right?

We’re just going to roll back the game 10+ years?

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:20 am    Post subject:

historically galaxy was the first area deleted from AR - its restoration will serve as a statement that we are dealing with it. We also intend to put back the harpies and some other shit, like the river. Then the above plus whatever else Olyn forgot to include on that post. Its
not a ten years thing, it will be done over
several patches and the forums will be used for input beyond what we have announced already

0 0 0
Thorgoth
Immortal

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:41 am    Post subject:

Well said Olyn, well said indeed.

Ked - sidebar?

@Nadrin - it’s awesome you said that because that was my first response to this happening. Obviously it’s a bit out of character to bring in since the Universe is based on stars in our actual galaxy, but there can be an in-character variation of it that feels nostalgic. That place had loot.

It’s exciting to be apart of the possibility because I lost a good half hour scrolling through Invokation and thinking about that journey. Let’s bring back that feel together as a community.

P.S. I love ya but I may swing my axe at’cha.

0 0 0
Kedaleam
Immortal

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:48 am    Post subject:

Sorry but to me this is ridiculous. May as well get rid off any sort of RP and stuff too right? Just make it a straight pk mud? Let’s just log in and make it a straight brawl day. The whole purpose of why it was removed was that it didn’t fit.

@thorgoth please.

0 0 0
Matrix

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:36 am    Post subject:

Nobody cries realism when Vanisse kills and eats gnomes and calls it roleplay, where are you for that Kedaleam? Should we get rid of that too, or is it part of the game because it's been here for 10+ years now?

These are serious questions I'm not just making fun of you

0 1
boo,
Kedaleam
Immortal

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:52 am    Post subject:

Maybe she was doing that crazy thing where she was interacting with mortals. Showing them a great time but maybe it took a crazy turn. And continuing with it, the story. Btw Vanisse I have a story I think you would love That we did years ago. One of my favorite moments as a mortal. I’ll send it to you.

0 0 0
Matrix

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:03 am    Post subject:

question stands, should she stop doing it or is it part of the game? If it's part of the game, why is that the case? Really think about it

0 1
boo,
Kalist19
Emissary

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:16 am    Post subject:

I guess I've never said it but I have always thought that the road to preservation to AR is to make it as easy as possible for returning players to, you know, return.

This means introducing new exciting things (race/class combos, racial legacies, items, new areas, new mechanics, etc), while maintaining core concepts the same (i.e. core areas/pathways/locations of critical items such as purple potions). This would allow a 'vet' of 15 years ago to pick up and get rolling at a decent pace, versus dropping into a brand new game and getting streamrolled because he has no idea what the literal fuck is happening or where anything is.

I've been playing for over 20 years (first age) off and on and the game has made a lot of changes, mostly for the better. If you are planning on making any overhauls though, I would say definitely take the AREAS back to how they used to be in order to help oldies feel familiar. Let's be honest, most of us have 'quit' for some duration, but we always come back. For me it is usually when I am doing some serious forgotten realms reading and think 'holy fuck i wanna be a kickass mage' - the first place I think of is AR. Make those core areas the same and easy. As stated - river adelon, midin 'nir, old moria, etc.

0 0 0
Grayden

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:36 pm    Post subject:

@Nadrin, I do remember timbers and obsidian bracers from the treetops.

I like the cloud castle, and the bump in the road. Frankly the changes made have been good. Can you seriously say the Slaughtered Lamb was better before?

There might be some unwelcome changes in Winter, but I never made it into winter until last year.

@Matrix move on my friend, it was a little silly, but I think that is ok.

@Olyn don't second guess your improvements, they have been fair and impartial, players will adapt. As an explorer at heart, I welcome changes.

Edit, the high tower of sorcery had a major overhaul, but maybe just have a nostalgic area. Maybe old world/new world portal, like the void but more of parallel planes.

0 0 0
Matrix

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:32 pm    Post subject:

Grayden it's not like it's bothering me I just want to know what the difference is and why it's ok to have that but not Galaxy. If someone's gonna say something is ridiculous they should back it up with some reasons

0 1
boo,
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:21 pm    Post subject:

Just a reminder, this thread is for players to share fond memories of AR.

0 0 0
Kedaleam
Immortal

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:01 pm    Post subject:

I misunderstood. Sorry.

I mainly just miss the big group battles. Being beaten relentlessly as a Storm Giant Warrior Knight by a group of 4-5 Justices all wielding effigies. It was a good death.

0 0 0
maeve

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:21 am    Post subject:

Where's Mob Factory?

0 0 0
Lorne
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:34 am    Post subject:

@Kedalem

Don't pretend you needed a gangbang to get killed, I'm sure gnomes beat you relentlessly. Wink

0 0 0
Kedaleam
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:20 am    Post subject:

Oh it wasn’t a gangbang. It was even numbers. I was just the easy target with those beastly effigies and rods. Ha ha.

0 0 0
Grayden

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:37 am    Post subject: Back on topic

I remember waiting in the old tower to fall asleep with the other students and sleeping on a floating bed.

Everyone's first stop was a seashell ring and gear at the top of the tower. I also miss the orangutan in the library, that was taken right from a Terry Pratchett book.

0 0 0
tayyah

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:35 pm    Post subject:

100 people online was retarded, but I'd settle for 35

1 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Past Balance Patch Thread Discussions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: