Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 20 hours, 14 mins.

Combining Heralds and Mystics under one umbrella
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you support combining the coteries?
Yes
67%
 67%  [ 19 ]
No
17%
 17%  [ 5 ]
Don't care
14%
 14%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 28

Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:09 am    Post subject: Combining Heralds and Mystics under one umbrella

I was playing around with some ideas on how to improve the game experience and direction for Heralds and Mystics. I wonder how everyone would feel if we combined the two into one overarching "institute"? (name TBD)

We could think of it like this: Heralds are comprised of historians, librarians, and journalists; Mystics are comprised of archaeologists, researchers, and the AR equivalent of biologists (going around writing lores about rare AR fauna). They have many similar functions/goals, such as newbie assistance, supporting Imm duties (such as events, approving backgrounds), enhancing the cohesion of the game by fleshing out the narrative within it, and also having capacity to participate in political roles within the cabals.

Because their roles are really quite complementary, I think that they could work under a more unified direction with a common immortal guide. In functionality they would remain the same way. Heralds would have herald powers, Mystics have mystic powers, but they would share a common cabalchat channel. With the single imm, we can also encourage more teamwork and collaboration across the coteries, which I have some ideas for. This would also free up an imm to assist one of the cabals since we have some gaps at the moment and probably you guys would like to see active imms on all the cabals.

Thoughts?

0 0 0
Bladefury

BANNED

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:21 am    Post subject:

yes imm for Legion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Mikoos

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:23 am    Post subject:

I’m a little torn about it. I like the idea of reducing the number of coteries. As reduction is probably a better philosophy than expansion at the moment.

If Mystics lost their ability to baptize characters into a religion I’d be for it.

0 0 0
Andrael

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:23 am    Post subject:

As someone who's played a number of Heralds and a few Mystics, this would be great. It sort of sucks to be an active member with someone who there every so often and you're left to your own devices. Not saying that I need guidance 100% but when you're left to your own activities only so much can be done when you're of a lower rank ya know?

0 0 0
Grayden

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:52 am    Post subject:

@Mikoos I support Etheath's crusade to get everyone to pick a religion, so I hope that does not go away.

Etheath is secretly selling everyone the ability to devote while getting lines drawn in the sand.

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:14 am    Post subject:

Spoiler alert! Laughing

Mikoos, what do you dislike about having Mystics involved with religion initiation?

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:15 am    Post subject:

Offering up this as a bit of "devils advocate" -- Mystics seem like they could be a reclusive bunch with terrible communication skills. If I rolled one, I might decide to have my conversation style be to just ramble on and on, and on, and always complaining about the Legion and doing my best to insert myself into any conversation I overhear and guide it into another ramble about the Legion. Starting things off with "Well did you know that..." I would be a total annoyance. So the question is how do you handle that kinda person on a shared cabal channel where the people on it are inclined to just get fed up of it and walk away. A Mystic could in theory get people angry and annoyed enough to just kick him out of the group and beat his ass and still look the perfect part of a Mystic. I think you would have to have some sort of rules about how to use the shared herald-mystic channel for this kinda guy.

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:22 am    Post subject:

You could have that rambler in literally any channel. Sooo I am not sure if that is an actual deterrent.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:28 am    Post subject:

Yes just trying to think of ways people can take advantage of that to mess with everyone. It would be effective to be a rambling Mystic because you have a captive audience that cannot "change the channel". I guess you could tell him to take it to notes.

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:34 am    Post subject:

Sure - I mean a rambler doesn't have to be a Mystic, that possibility could happen on gossip, or newbie chat, or cabalchat in any cabal... I think there have been rambling Heralds before (and just made them write books instead - some of them came out pretty well actually).

Maybe Mystics can contribute to the Mystique Laughing

1 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:03 am    Post subject:

Great i'm tempted to roll up

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:09 am    Post subject:

What would the name of this new combined coterie be?

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:50 am    Post subject:

It would be called mystic heralds and your title would be Ceridwel the Mystic, Herald of Seringale, and you would have to have loads of new pointless ceremonial stuff because it now also involves Mystics, like address everyone as "worthy <name>" every time you speak to them, and also nobody is allowed to start eating in events until a Mystic has officially created the first mushroom. Maybe. And the most important Mystic would be master of ceremonies and wear a custom made hat and robe that looks as dumb a thing as we could possibly think of. Also, there would be some sort of throwing contest, but small items so that wimps can participate. Its important to make the actual Mystics look as important as possible while still not have to do anything useful or relevant, for continuity.
^ humor attempt

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:02 pm    Post subject:

some ideas

The Center for Discovery
The Institute of the Muses
The Academy of Transcendence

edit: I'm not interested in making an ivory tower full of mushroom creating gibbons. I think there's some greater constructive potential for coterie functions. Obviously it depends if people want to play that way or not, maybe being a ridiculous mage in a wizard hat and robe is your thing. I only suggest this to provide more opportunities.

0 0 0
Mikoos

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:05 pm    Post subject:

I like “The DharmaChakra Of Serin”, but no.

I don’t like it because it allows OOC biases to affect game mechanics in a more direct way than others.

I don’t like it because the lore is shit and every time I ask questions of a Mystic they don’t know the answers themselves and then they escalate to an IMM who doesn’t know either. Both of whom are also guilty of not knowing deity alignments, who’s avatar is who or where altars are. And who can blame them? Things need to be rewritten.

It’s not anyone’s particular fault. We just never really figured out what we want to do with Mystics. One moment they’re a cabal then a coterie, then maybe we’ll make them a cabal again, then back to a coterie. And now this. Let’s not add to the continued theme of confusion and take the easy road of ripping out their ability to initiate into religions.

@Dav - You’re terrible at this. Kind of like a comedian who can sort of imitate the accent, but lacks the substance of the artful ways of the joke. Allow me to help you grow in this. First you have to purge yourself of the kleshas of annoyance and frustration. Then embrace the perfections of patience along with tolerance. All to reach enlightenment of the joke.

....Mystic kind of does attract the rambler types, doesn’t it??

0 1
boo,
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:25 pm    Post subject:

mikoos suddenly realized he can fit in mystics

1 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:18 pm    Post subject:

Just to clarify, are you against this whole idea or just Mystics having anything to do with religion?

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:56 pm    Post subject:

It looks like Mikoos just found a cauldron of shit to stir and is going to town with his butter-churner.

0 0 0
Matrix

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:14 pm    Post subject:

I replied before I even read the thread and Mikoos said the exact same shit already lol

0 0 0
Mikoos

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:28 pm    Post subject:

I’m still on the fence, but I’ll put aside my gripes about religion.

I want to understand what is happening. We want to create something new(A new name, new lore, helpfiles, ranks??) we’re unsure exactly what other than combining these two coteries together, but not really because Heralds are going to be Heralds still and Mystics are still going to be Mystics. They’ll have the same powers they do now.

I’d say I’d need more info on the changes before signing off on it. If you want to put a single IMM over both of them, go for it?? That would be streamlining.

Creating something new and keeping the old would not be streamlining and add to the confusion that already exists.

@Matrix -lmao. You see? You get me.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: