Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 1 hour.

Hovel Ideas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Past Balance Patch Thread Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:20 am    Post subject: Hovel Ideas

So we have been talking about Hovels and changes lately. I had a few ideas I wanted to talk about. The first thing is what happens when there are 500 hovels? Currently, all the hovels ever made are still there in spite of the players who are gone.

What I propose is upon delete, their hovel is deleted with them. Then a description of their hovel, its contents, and any upgrades that have been made are listed in their graveyard.

Second, there really was a second honest. I will post it when I remember...

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:49 am    Post subject:

I have a few random cosmetic upgrade ideas, like:
- the ability to restring the door and update the hovel's name to make it prettier and not called a "hovel" because now we have got 45 shacks all over the realms
- ability to copy keys to co-own (also means ability to co-decorate) a space?
- have a backyard for planting herbs (1 room), you can also release some of your pets to frolic about in here
- for door guardians, you could hire a mercenary and park it at your hovel for some degree of theft protection
- expand the sectors you can build houses in, like forests and on mountains or hills
- a workshop kit that allows you to build a workshop where you can craft some furniture instead of having to drag random chairs in from around the world, potentially expand to other things... you would have to collect wood/materials for crafting.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:52 am    Post subject:

This was posted in the other patch thread but it bears its own thread.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:59 am    Post subject:

I feel very uneasy about just abruptly deleting peoples lairs permanently. The graveyard seems a good final resting place, but I think we might want the lair cleanup to be on the once-a-month script thing (and require at least 90 days to pass first, on top of that) and not something we just do on character deletes. There is probably an easy way to link the lair to the graveyard and then light the torch

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:35 am    Post subject:

leaving lairs where they're at over time makes sense, then they could slowly decay and be reclaimed by nature. but wait long enough that people can still sit in the house and reminisce if they want to. i mean you can always valhalla torch it as an option.

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:34 am    Post subject:

I agree with Nadrin that eventually lairs of a dead character need to go away. Lots of options for how to make that happen and y'all are already suggesting some.

I've been dead set against lairs since their inception because I felt the immortal labor that went into them at the time would have been better spent fixing bugs and implementing things that had been on the waiting list for years. Then I was dead set against lairs because I think it is dumb that people can hoard rares in them.

Now that the doors can be broken down and lairs looted, I'm on board with them as long as we implement my idea: owners can buy and install traps of various kinds to have a nasty surprise ready for looters. Also I think there should be some kind of limit on the number of rares allowed to be stored in lairs - either a hard limit or some kind of decay over time.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:44 am    Post subject:

Traps sounds very helpful. Before we go there I want us make sure that door health is absolutely solid. Also as mikoos pointed out somewhere else on the forum, it is good to notice that a cabal is basically a lair and may benefit from these ideas even if we dont use them for lairs this time.

0 0 0
Mikoos

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:34 pm    Post subject:

A lot to work with here. I think they should go when the player deletes. Otherwise it’s kind of like logging into an old MMORPG and seeing all these empty zones that did not age well.

Or another game where players can make their own areas then they stop playing. Leaving the game filled with all these empty spaces. It sounds like a good idea, but it doesn’t scale well.

Anyway, since they are going to exist, could we have residential areas for them? Otherwise it’s NES cryptic in spots when chasing players down. It’s not fun, but extremely rewarding for those who put in more time in than a human should figuring it out.

Maybe one should be reputable in order to own a lair. Should an elite forsaken have an impenetrable lava fortress? Or an executor with a castle made of gingerbread and glitter or whatever Knight players enjoy. Wink Those are more cabal related though.

I’m a text based adrenaline junkie, so...maybe it’s a good thing to have lairs to attract other players who don’t want their heart pumping it’s self into a heart attack. They’re pretty much homesteads, right? Games that have that are pretty relaxing. In fact it’s the only reason I play games like that.

They shouldn’t be able to hoard rares. It should be illegal to place traps inside lairs that reside in Justice controlled areas.

0 0 0
yNgFrE

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:48 pm    Post subject:

How does one currently obtain a lair?

Couldnt you just make them cost a currency, then have cabal specific lairs with perks or somethin. Maybe the perk is a cool name soundin lair

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:14 am    Post subject:

You can buy the hovel doors (and room accoutrements) from Yarbok in Seringale. Cabal flavored lairs would be interesting.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:45 am    Post subject:

we will carry lair threads forward into july patch

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Past Balance Patch Thread Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: