Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 8 days, 21 hours.

Room changes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:04 am    Post subject:

Or shrouded at night? Like Darkhaven partially shrouded at night totally makes sense. But 24x7? I dunno.

I don't get purples from the mists anymore due to this change. This isn't just a minimap thing, like in some areas you literally need to type exits after a move (like the path north out of HTOS into Drkshtyre).

I actually like the change to the void, since I'm so used to using the exit command in there.

My summary: in some places it makes sense and is cool, in others it is overkill.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:10 am    Post subject:

Alright so this might wash out 50/50

I created this for the harpies because I remember the harpies being a badass terrifying area full of aggro mobs. But I gotta tell you guys, when I went in there with my test level 15, with full minimap, it just felt like a joke. Without fog, harpies feels easy mode.
The other areas was a bit of a slap it on and see if works, I'll admit.

0 0 0
hamsandwich

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:12 am    Post subject:

I played way back in the day when there was no minimap. I knew the areas just fine. I now rely very heavily on the minimap even after having known the areas. (granted I took a long ass haitus and there are quite a few areas that are new/different to me). Having the fog is really sucky for me personally, almost on a level with how bladefury is expressing it.

I understand the lore reasons, or immersion or whatever. It is a cool idea. But for me it still makes my life sucky. It's something with time I could overcome (like i said, I used to know the areas without a map I could again.) but the map is super nice.

I definitely think it is a huge confusion to new players because it was even to me. At first I thought I was just not where I thought i was because I was like I swear there should be an ext to the east but the map says there isn't I must be in a different room. lol.

Also it seems to affect a lot of random areas. Sometimes it's only like 1 or two rooms. But its a lot of places beside Darkhaven and harpies.

it's in hobgoblins east of seringale, it's north of timaran. granted both of those it's just a couple of rooms nothing extensive, but the first time you encounter it it is disorienting.

0 0 0
Bladefury

BANNED

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:55 am    Post subject:

Changing 1 area in this manner lile harpies is cool but mass area fogging really turned me off darkhaven makes sense at night also I feel like this shouldn't impact vampires who literslly live in for caves and at night. I imagine their eye site like that of Dracula the untold story where they see their prey in a heat detective way or whatever
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Bladefury

BANNED

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:03 am    Post subject:

All in all this change is not something id like to see continued the way its. Applied to small select area might be alright. Newbies are gonna have fun learning that area. I guess in my view its something that can be adjusted to over time but I'm not willing to drag my rank 50 that I spent 25 plus hours end game armoring through the gauntlets of relearning that. Its also the visual change to my screen. You see the same thing for 10 years and it changes you really go what the fuck
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Thorgoth
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:44 pm    Post subject:

It’s good to see this change in place because it helps counterbalance the minimap functionality. Realistically there are areas in an environment that aren’t marked on the map because they are hidden by certain aspects of the environment, and that’s awesome. I never understood the purpose of memorizing an area now that minimap is our, but this change forces some basic knowledge of the layout and that’s legit.

I will say that these should be used sparingly and apply to specific areas based on geographical setup. Darkhaven makes sense to have cloaked rooms because it’s a city that lives in perpetual fog and the city is darker themed.

0 0 0
Bladefury

BANNED

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:09 pm    Post subject:

Interesting because I brought up a fact of an area perpetually engulfed in darkness because of the evil that resided there and blah blah blah. We should apply this across the spectrum if that's the case. Like shadun should be perma dark no mini map but light walkers like to hunt there idk im just thinking out loud. Could you imagine how lost a hunting party would get if someone would run in and cast an area spell and everyone fled and ran. Maybe we should make end game ranking areas harder to navigate then. Like mudfall shrouded in dust. Gotta stop smoking pot and posting the ideas just never end.

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:12 pm    Post subject:

Shadun is supposed to have that at night-only when the fog rolls out.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:57 pm    Post subject:

So one of the things that makes me tick as an Imm (and also as a pk'er) is thinking about how to get you to respond emotionally to your game interface as the player. When I create a strong reaction, I have you entirely immersed in the game which means maximum fun and escapism.

I know you are typically running around throwing caution to the wind, looking at that minimap to re-orient and get your bearings. I like this, it builds in a sense of safety, complacency, and may I even say reckless stupidity that makes the game feel fun, relaxing and enjoyable. If you dont want to ever properly learn the areas, its fine, 99% of the game is minimap, you dont need to do it, and the handicap is minor.

And then there is fog, which requires no less than perfect memorization.

I created the minimap, I created the fog. This makes sense, right? How about we wait and see how it goes.

0 0 0
ivindel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:05 am    Post subject:

I totally welcome this change to handicap the minimap for some areas, and I agree with Thorgoth because it creates a distinction for the better players who take the time to learn the areas/layout and possibly even commit some room names to memory for the purpose of PK.

Ever since with the introduction of the minimap, PK tracking has become a simple case of where 'target' and following the yellow tracks on the minimap to your PK target (does not work against elves or drows of course). This functionality simply makes PK tracking a walk in the park and totally undermines the players who make good use of those unique special rooms (learned from extensive exploration) to hide from their predators. Some players are just so heavily dependent on this functionality for PK, and they are salty about this change because they can no longer follow the yellow road to victory.

Personally, I would think that this minimap tracking functionality should not be applying to players and player-related targets (such as charmies and pets) for the purpose of PK, but that's just my POV.

0 0 0
Bladefury

BANNED

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:45 pm    Post subject:

@ivindel you just don't want me to track your charm since I can't track you. I will say I am warming up to this change overtime I expected it to be shitty but my reflexes just move me where I usually go anyway so the map isn't to bad. I actually find myself confused occasionally just having a stroll looking fot stuff. The pk adrenaline just moves me effortlessly through clouded areas. Can I suggest 1 thing for darkhaven. The room north and one east of the nexus in darkhaven should be for fog free?? I only say that because when you recall to darkhaven I always miss that westward movement going towards the docks and that 1 room knowing I can go west 2 or 3 rooms before I can would be sweet.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:20 am    Post subject:

ivindel: Nobody filed an in-game bug about that until your post. That will be fixed immediately.

0 0 0
ivindel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:10 am    Post subject:

I can only say... OMG. You mean that golden road where 'target' minimap tracking functionality is not intended?

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:19 am    Post subject:

yes. and its gone.

1 0 0
Faelon
Emissary

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:00 am    Post subject:

How, and I mean how in the hell, did that escape notice for that long?

That's not a criticism, I'm just in shock.

I will wager the top five is about to get a serious shake up.

0 0 0
Baer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:34 am    Post subject:

W H O A

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:51 am    Post subject:

You can blame me for it. I haven't been morting which comes with a blind spot. I just hope between the forums, logboard and bugs submissions that we are on top of the 99% of stuff, but that one's a doozy. I think it really important that someone like ivindel can feel its ok and allowed to come post it. P.S. Thank you Ivindel.

0 1
boo,
hamsandwich

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:22 am    Post subject:

I'm gonna be bold and say that based off the general response thus far, be it something that everyone 'needed' or not, it does seem that it was something almost everyone used. lol

Certainly a big crutch removed. Definitely something you can recover from, but it might take some awhile longer than others lol. Basically say goodbye to the middle class. You're either rich or you're poor now haha.

0 0 0
jaran
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:21 am    Post subject:

I didn't even know that was a thing lol i just continued using the old school ways so I guess I'll just continue to do that. Feel like I've missed out though not knowing about it.

0 0 0
Baer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:30 am    Post subject:

Go us!

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: