Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 3 hours.

Lair updates for this and future patches
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Past Balance Patch Thread Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:37 am    Post subject: Lair updates for this and future patches

Per patch feedback, all of these suggestions will be implemented whenever we can do them. We'll get them done in the order you see them listed here, so you'll know where we are at.

* deleted character lairs should poof after an amount of time (popular requests)
-- implemented, this takes 90+ days . Manual intervention is needed to torch a lair, but imms will be notified every time the game restarts that a lair is really out of date.
-- players can also torch expired lairs
-- not on this pass but we should add a way to "claim" someone else's lair if its eligible for being torched already. i'll add it in the future.

* dedicated residential areas for housing in cities, instead of allowing lairs to be put everywhere (popular request)
-- implemented, this is a new REGISTER command. you can reserve plots and transfer them to other people. builders need to add plots to towns. i added a bunch to southwest Seringale

* a door guard with a trusted list to allow entrance, protected by law wherever applicable
--implemented. use the trust command to control access

* a backyard room for planting herbs, a workshop room for creating furniture e.g. chairs and beds
-- i found the present available room types sufficient, so i improved the "room redecorating kit" to allow you to specify a room name and make it look more like a "backyard"
-- there is a "flowerpot" you can buy and deploy to plant herbs, put that in the room and you are good to go

* rugs, welcome mats and a sign for the front door
-- i added a small furniture construction kit that can be used for creating chairs (and other small things).
-- i added a large furniture construction kit for beds and tables
-- i did see the existing "workbench" item was begun and would like to get to that too, but i feel like it makes sense to have the option of an expensive ikea kit to rush your lair as well
-- examine the items for list of whatever you can make with them.

* a way to upgrade lair name to something other than hovel.
-- i added a levelling system, you can level your lair up by deploying. that means customizing its descriptions and adding cosmetics and other deployable kits. it goes hovel, shack, lodge. each upgrade also makes the door considerably stronger. there is a separate "deploy upgrade" item which completes the level-up, so you can leave it looking crappy if you want.

Pending:

* a way to rename the area to something custom
-- the default is now "A Humble Hovel" instead of just lair12 or whatever that was. not sure how i want to handle an area rename. might be a level 3 lair art and you have to buy a title.
* dwarven fortifications for healthier doors
* owning multiple lairs
* owners can buy and install traps of various kinds to have a nasty surprise ready for looters.

I'll continue to update the thread as we get through these.

Last edited by Davairus on Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:45 am; edited 18 times in total

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:52 pm    Post subject:

Might be neat to be able to grow food from seeds in your backyard.

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:07 pm    Post subject:

Livestock?

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:43 am    Post subject:

If we want to have custom stuff to deploy into lairs, or to make a room garden-able (make it a field I guess) the easiest way is to just add more kits to the merchant. (Yarbok in Seringale).

0 0 0
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:49 am    Post subject:

Should also make special rare end game kits to be looted off raid mobs.

For instance a kit to expand to several rooms inside and stuff like that.

0 0 0
Rothak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:51 am    Post subject:

How about a work table where we can weave baskets?

1 0 0
yNgFrE

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:06 pm    Post subject:

Love it! Container creation 4 chests Saks and quivers

Tailoring for cloth sacks and such blacksmithing for chest and other containers metal and woodworking for Quivers for arrows

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:05 pm    Post subject:

I remember one of the popular anecdotes on the forums used to be "this game isn't Hello Kitty Island Adventure". And now...we have basket weaving.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:35 pm    Post subject:

Its not a bad idea to add a generic workbench for lairs. I'm not sure if you guys were joking around, so I didn't take these posts seriously.

Keep in mind we already have these:
* a tailor in Seringale that print custom string equipment for like 20 chips.
* a forgemaster in Seringale lets you sharpen weapons with warlord medals
* an anvil in Seringale that lets you forge armor
* a cauldron in Seringale you can brew potions at with druid shards
* dozens of stores to gamble randomized items from

If we do a lairs workbench I would think Nadrin is on the right track - make the player explore to find rare recipes that make shit better than you can already find in the stores. I dont care so much for weaving a basket or deploying a clay pot I found somewhere while collecting firewood for my chair workshop. I am interested in being able to craft an ave 22 bloody sword of rage that hits massacres, cries AOE insomnia on peoples pets and my lair becomes a 20 rooms GOTHIC CASTLE that looks fuckin' dope. With death sentrys you trigger when you fall through a trapdoor into my dungeon

p.s. checked in game and found we already have a workbench and furnace made. that workbench hasnt got a reset anywhere to buy yet, so I'm gonna move slowly and make sure we fully understand and document everything before we end up building shit we have already. I will have to dig through the forum /wiki for info

0 0 0
Rothak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:12 am    Post subject:

My response was a joke. I remember people talking about Hello Kitty Adventure Island, that plus someone signature was showing “I don’t play AR so I can weave baskets, I play AR so I can swing an axe at some guys throat.” To be honest, I think we need to focus more on bigger issues than the smaller details of lairs. But that’s just me.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:10 am    Post subject:

Well I can certainly respect that view, but the fact is the full potential of lairs has not been fully unlocked yet. They can go far beyond just offering a cool place to hangout with friends in. A fully-featured "player housing" system working in a playerkilling MUD is a decent bullet point for any balanced review, and its definitely something that even the highest profit MMORPG's cannot offer. Its where we give those games a good kick in the pants.

Although your comment was facetious in the sense that it duplicates a service already offered in Seringale, the fact is that the shops in Seringale (and other towns) can and should be geared contributing useful items and services to lairs. For instance, selling a mailbox for the trading post. Some existing stuff like the Herald wardrobe could be deployed and accessed from lair.

Also, none of this is difficult work. And you will probably enjoy raiding someones lair and beating their ass in their own bedroom, especially with a zombie army and blindness.

0 0 0
Hondorian

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:45 am    Post subject:

I love that you liked the Dwarven doors. So, I'm back with another idea. Treants and people that kill treants, should be about to use their parts for building chairs. Imagine, just chipping away at your own body to fashion a new rocker for your guests at 7pm. Ha!

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:58 am    Post subject:

Yes, you guys can continue posting ideas. Please keep in mind we are still very early in development and we are also regrouping around lairs in general.

--

The most important and missing key lair feature is literally the entire prestige system. This will be basically the experience system for lairs. Gaining prestige is the way to level your lair up and inflate the allowed room sizes. You'll gain room prestige by placing items into the lairs rooms, and lose it by removing them again. Each item will offer a certain amount of prestige but also takes up space in the room. Increasing the overall prestige sufficiently (e.g. you built all rooms, or you reached level 2) will allow you to upgrade your lair's name beyond a mere hovel and enable some of the stuff we're talking about having, like having better defenses than a wooden door.

Other thing which I intend to add soon are the following:
- redescribing the guardian
- tables and beds
- extra descriptions so you can add paintings of people to your rooms
- player-created custom lair pets

Rothak is right that there are other things we need to work on and prioritize. But just to show where we are going with the lairs.

0 0 0
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:40 am    Post subject:

Totally awesome ideas. I am excited to see what happens with this and will certainly play with it when there is more to do with lairs. In the meantime, I am excited about the paladin rework.

0 0 0
Thorgoth
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:25 am    Post subject:

These are excellent evolutions of lair, thanks for this Dav.

0 0 0
Hondorian

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:45 pm    Post subject:

Do you need to have a hovel door with you when you buy a plot? I just bought one and didn't have a door in my inventory. I went to get a door and then go back to the plot. But when I deployed the door it said I didn't have a plot there. Cool enough, but I just dropped 100k on a plot. Hrmm.

0 0 0
Hondorian

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:48 pm    Post subject:

Also, wouldn't it be nice if while standing outside of someone's Hovel you could knock on the door. The person inside would get a prompt. "Someone is knocking on your door".

0 0 0
Mikoos

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:59 pm    Post subject:

Heralds should become the doordash of Serin and deliver food.

0 0 0
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:46 pm    Post subject:

YES that's perfect, Herald delivery service.

0 0 0
Hondorian

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:35 pm    Post subject:

Herald's Hungry Hurry-Up.

1 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Past Balance Patch Thread Discussions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: